A LoTR Inspired Fantasy Movie Renaissance - What Happened?

nikolai

First Post
I remember when the Fellowship of the Ring came out, to pretty wide popular and critical acclaim, there was talk about how Fantasy was the next big thing in movies and it was going to trigger the production other films. Now, what happened? Have there been any of them? are any of them in the pipeline? It seems to me that sadly there hasn't been an effect at all.

Last edited:

EricNoah

Adventurer
Chronicles of Narnia (at least Lion, Witch & Wardrobe) in production now, I think, or close to it.

Pullman's "His Dark Materials" series in development I think.

Seems like I heard someone was going to do an Elric/Melnibone movie.

These things do take time.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
EricNoah said:
These things do take time.

Indeed. Remember that after Star Wars everyone wanted to jump on the scifi bandwagon, which brought us such dubious classics as Disney's Black Hole, Flash Gordon, and Star Trek the Motion Picture (probably the second worst Star Trek movie made to date). I agree that it would be nice to havemore fantasy movies, but I for one would rather have something done well, like Lord of the Rings, rather than something that is simply done, like the Dungeons and Dragons movie.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Plus, imagine that you do have a fantasy movie all ready to go -- are you gonna release it in the same year as RotK?? That would be suicide! :D

Remove ads