A LoTR Inspired Fantasy Movie Renaissance - What Happened?

johnsemlak

First Post
Remember, LotR was considered a rather risky venture up until it was released and proved to be a success. I'm sure only after it proved successful did other movies studios decide Fantasy was worth a big-time investent. And, as stated above, it takes time to make a movie.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Does Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl counts?

You have to remember, to make something as fantastic like the Lord of the Rings is a long-term project. It started way back in 1998 with pre-production that includes turning a farmland into Hobbiton and let the transplanted vegetation grow for one year so as if to look like it has been there.

And let us not forget the D&D movie debacle. That pretty much set the entire Fantasy genre two step backward.

Personally, if someone were to do a Dragonlance film project, I think Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman should get off their six and start documenting appendix notes, although they may not be as well-detailed and semi-organized as Tolkien. You see, the motivation for Tolkien is that he truly wants to create a mythology for England, so he goes into the project trying to build a sense of history into the Middle-Earth myth, despite the fact that he is a poor story writer.

So, I'm hoping that Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman start writing about the languages of the Qualinesti and the Silvanesti, as well as the Draconic Speech used by the corrupt Draconians as well as the noble metallic dragons. Perhaps they could try and collect the other author's works contributing to the Dragonlance lore and make them fit together.

It has to be a lot of work for a fantasy film to do well in the box office.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Baraendur said:
Star Trek the Motion Picture (probably the second worst Star Trek movie made to date)

[Geek]
Compared to such masterpieces as Star Trek: Nemesis, Star Trek: Insurrection, Star Trek: Generations, Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek: Why in the hell does God need a space ship, and Star Trek: You can look for Spock, but you can't make me care?

You really don't want to open this can of worms, do you? :D

[/Geek]

Red Baron

First Post
Ranger REG said:
You see, the motivation for Tolkien is that he truly wants to create a mythology for England, so he goes into the project trying to build a sense of history into the Middle-Earth myth, despite the fact that he is a poor story writer.

Two things to say:

1. YMMV.

2. I happened to enjoy the first Dragonlance trilogy, but I'm afraid that, IMHO, placing it in the same realm as Tolkien is just silly.

Sorry, three things.

3. You might consider qualifying highly debatable assertions regarding the relative merit of things like literary value.

No hard feelings.

Cheers,

jester47

First Post
Well, there has not been much strict fantasy, but there has been a lot of fantastic stuff out:

Pirates of the Carribean
Xmen
Spider man
Hulk
2 star wars movies
2 harry potter movies
Final Fantasy
and numerous others, good and bad.

And I am sure all this was getting underway when they were gearing up middle earth, thus indicating to me that the more fantastic movies were already a trend.

So I would suspect that the success of LotR has extended this hayday of fantastic film.

All in all, this decade is turning out to be a great decade for geeks, nerds, weirdos and fanboys.

Aaron.

garyh

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Does Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl counts?

I say yes. Undead pirates and cursed treasure, a blacksmith swept up into adventure... sure sounds like a game of D&D I'd like to play. :)

Remove ads