Coto Goes Back To Trek Roots

Elodan

Adventurer
From SciFi.com:
(http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-07/22/12.30.tv)

Manny Coto, co-executive producer of UPN's Star Trek: Enterprise, told SCI FI Wire that as one of the show's new head writers, he wants the show to link up more with the original Star Trek series and its subsequent series. <!-- END -->"I'm a fan of the ... original [Star] Trek," Coto said in an interview at UPN's fall press tour in Los Angeles. "And season four for me is going to be everything I, as an old Star Trek fan, would want to see on Enterprise, Which is basically a lot of touchstones connecting Enterprise with the old series and with the Next Generation series."

For Coto, that in part means incorporating more of the original series' aliens, such as the green-skinned Orions from "Shadowplay," as well as the more familiar Andorians and Vulcans. "A lot of people have noticed that the Vulcans on Enterprise don't behave like the Vulcans from the Kirk era and/or the Next Generation era," Coto said. "The Vulcans on Enterprise are more impulsive. They actually are somewhat more emotional. They lie. They don't have the same kind of values that the Vulcans that we know of."

To bridge the gap, Coto envisions a story arc in which a revolutionary Vulcan—Coto calls him a "Lawrence of Arabia" of Vulcan—proclaims that Vulcans have strayed from the teachings of Surak, the legendary Vulcan who ushered in the Time of Awakening and founded the movement based on logic and peace. "And this character will lead a revolution on Vulcan, which will bring Vulcan and Vulcan ideals to where we know them in the later series," Coto said. "And Enterprise will get involved in this." As a result of this resurgence, the political situation with the Andorians changes, and mysterious dissidents on the planet Vulcan attempt to stir up a civil war (and will later be revealed to have been Romulans in disguise), he added. "That's an example of the kinds of stories that we're going to tell this season," Coto said.

---------------------------

If this is true, I'll start watching again.

Last edited:

Vigilance

Explorer
Wow... a story on Enterprise that seems to take place in the Star Trek universe!

This is aq shocking (and VERY welcome) development indeed.

Previous to now Enterprise has seemed like a show that took place in some mirror universe. A lot of the same aliens, but not a alot of the same feel (and yeah Im talking about the Vulcans).

Chuck

Vigilance

Explorer
This shows that Braga "taking a step back" means he's no longer determining the creative direction.

That is DEFINITELY a good development. This might be as huge a turning point as when Michael Piller took a step back and Ira Behr took over Ds9.

Chuck

aurance

Explorer
He certainly can pick the right words to say. If this is indeed the way the show will go, I think it can still be a big hit. I have some hope for Enterprise now.

Express

First Post
Yay! Good news IMHO.

Maybe they can just explain the alternate timeline/temporal war by having T'pol wake up, find Archer in the shower and realize it was all a dream.

Ashwyn

First Post
Express said:
Yay! Good news IMHO.

Maybe they can just explain the alternate timeline/temporal war by having T'pol wake up, find Archer in the shower and realize it was all a dream.
Has it come to this? Yep, I'd rather have that happen than they continue with the current storyline. Amazing. :\

Acid_crash

First Post
This is some of the coolest news of Enterprise I've heard in a long time. I wonder if the Mind Meld will become standard practice during this season also, which I remember from season 1 that the Vulcans felt it barbaric and rude and an invasion of privacy...I thought that was weird.

It seems that season 4 of any Star Trek show saves it; it worked well for DS9 and thats when Voyager got interesting to me after the pilot of the show.

Remove ads