Coto Goes Back To Trek Roots

mojo1701

First Post
Acid_crash said:
I wonder if the Mind Meld will become standard practice during this season also, which I remember from season 1 that the Vulcans felt it barbaric and rude and an invasion of privacy...I thought that was weird.

It's gotta. I mean, it was used as a plot device on Voyager so much. Remember?

"I will attempt a mind meld to better understand..."
- Tuvok, during too many episodes of Voyager to count...

Orius

Legend
Alright!

This is EXACTLY the sort of stuff I want to see on Enterprise. I certainly hope it makes up for the year we just blew on the Xindi.

I mean the Xindi storyline itself wasn't bad, but I think overall, it would have worked better in the modern Trek series.

qstor

Adventurer
I'm looking forward t seeing these episodes...I can't wait.
Sounds like great stuff..green skinned slave girls..been waiting since the pilot for those.

Mike

Acid_crash said:
This is some of the coolest news of Enterprise I've heard in a long time. I wonder if the Mind Meld will become standard practice during this season also, which I remember from season 1 that the Vulcans felt it barbaric and rude and an invasion of privacy...I thought that was weird.

It seems that season 4 of any Star Trek show saves it; it worked well for DS9 and thats when Voyager got interesting to me after the pilot of the show.

Imagine if the original series had a 4th season?

I like the idea that Romulans are subtly destabilizing the Vulcan culture, maybe it's the lead-in to the Romulan War. I just hope is that they maintain the one crucial plot point for the Romulan War that had already been established: It didn't go down in history what they really looked like, i.e. offshoot Vulcans.

Vulcans probably knew (and even after this little revival, they are inclined towards their dirty little secrets), and it might end up some highly classified secret, or the people who saw it never passed the knowledge on or something like that.

They could actually make Nemesis something productive in Trek, and the Romulans use the Remans as foot soldiers and grunts, and Earth/the Proto-Federation knows it so they don't know what their Romulan masters look like. This allows for actual interaction and a lot better TV, without completely messing up established continuity (any more than Enterprise already has).

Orius

Legend
wingsandsword said:
Imagine if the original series had a 4th season?

NBC would have put it in an even WORSE time slot? :]

I like the idea that Romulans are subtly destabilizing the Vulcan culture, maybe it's the lead-in to the Romulan War. I just hope is that they maintain the one crucial plot point for the Romulan War that had already been established: It didn't go down in history what they really looked like, i.e. offshoot Vulcans.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean we can't see them onscreen, it just means humans never meet them face-to-face or have any visual communication with them. They can always be shown on screen, because everyone who knows even a little bit about Star Trek knows what the Romulans are.

Vulcans probably knew (and even after this little revival, they are inclined towards their dirty little secrets), and it might end up some highly classified secret, or the people who saw it never passed the knowledge on or something like that.

Possibly. Vulcans seem to be pretty secretive about some things they find embarassing.

They could actually make Nemesis something productive in Trek, and the Romulans use the Remans as foot soldiers and grunts, and Earth/the Proto-Federation knows it so they don't know what their Romulan masters look like. This allows for actual interaction and a lot better TV, without completely messing up established continuity (any more than Enterprise already has).

That might work well. Maybe humans even assume the Romulans look something like remans -- which would make the revelation that they're offshoots of Vulcans even more surprising to them.

"Balance of Terror", the first appearance of Romulans in Trek, established that Romulans didn't have warp drive. However, since that detail makes no sense whatsoever, it should be more or less ignored. On the other hand, since Romulan warp tech is quite different than what most speices seem to use, maybe humans make an erroneus assunmption romulans don't have warp drives.

And they should probably bump off a couple of characters named Stiles. :]

Belen

Adventurer
Orius said:
NBC would have put it in an even WORSE time slot? :]

Yeah, but that doesn't mean we can't see them onscreen, it just means humans never meet them face-to-face or have any visual communication with them. They can always be shown on screen, because everyone who knows even a little bit about Star Trek knows what the Romulans are.

Possibly. Vulcans seem to be pretty secretive about some things they find embarassing.

That might work well. Maybe humans even assume the Romulans look something like remans -- which would make the revelation that they're offshoots of Vulcans even more surprising to them.

"Balance of Terror", the first appearance of Romulans in Trek, established that Romulans didn't have warp drive. However, since that detail makes no sense whatsoever, it should be more or less ignored. On the other hand, since Romulan warp tech is quite different than what most speices seem to use, maybe humans make an erroneus assunmption romulans don't have warp drives.

And they should probably bump off a couple of characters named Stiles. :]

They did have warp drives. The birds of prey you saw in the original series were satellite ships. The Romulans used large carrier motherships to ferry around their small attack ships.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Vigilance said:
This shows that Braga "taking a step back" means he's no longer determining the creative direction.

That is DEFINITELY a good development. This might be as huge a turning point as when Michael Piller took a step back and Ira Behr took over Ds9.
Personally, I'm not satisfied. That means Braga's ready to step back in.

Ideally, I want him removed from the franchise to the other side of Paramount studio so he can go work on Mission: Impossible 3.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Orius said:
On the other hand, since Romulan warp tech is quite different than what most speices seem to use, maybe humans make an erroneus assunmption romulans don't have warp drives.

I like that idea.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The only part of this news that bothers me is the timing. My local area is lucky enough to have UPN as part of the basic channels, instead of cable. However, my local station that carries UPN has just announced that, as of August 1st, UPN has decided that they will no longer be available to us on that station. So, just when Enterprise gets good, I don't get to see it. :(

BelenUmeria said:
They did have warp drives. The birds of prey you saw in the original series were satellite ships. The Romulans used large carrier motherships to ferry around their small attack ships.
This is one of many explainations. But it is not official. Officially, we only know that Scotty never detected Warp Engines, and that in the TNG-era they definitely had Warp Drives, but their power source wasn`t based on Matter/Antimatter reaction, but on Quantum Singularities (Black Holes).
This might also be serve as an explanation - scotty never heard about (working) singularity drives and wouldn`t know how to scan for them, and since he didn´t find the only known power source for warp engines, he assumed they did not have any warp capability.
(Especially considering the fact that most the time, warp engine/drive is used synonymically with matter/antimatter reactors)

Mustrum Ridcully

Remove ads