Official D&D Sage Advice Compendium Updated

Sorry if someone already posted this, but yesterday the Sage Advice Compendium got updated: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/sage-advice-compendium. New things: [NEW] Can a dragonborn sorcerer with a draconic bloodline have two different kinds of Draconic Ancestry? A dragonborn sorcerer can choose a different ancestor for the racial trait and for the Dragon Ancestor feature...

Sorry if someone already posted this, but yesterday the Sage Advice Compendium got updated: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/sage-advice-compendium.

New things:

[NEW]
[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Can a dragonborn sorcerer with a draconic bloodline have two different kinds of Draconic Ancestry? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]A dragonborn sorcerer can choose a different ancestor for the racial trait and for the Dragon Ancestor feature. Your choice for the racial trait is your actual ancestor, while the choice for the class feature could be your ancestor figuratively—the type of dragon that bestowed magic upon you or your family or the kind of draconic artifact or location that filled you with magical energy.

[NEW]
[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Do the benefits from Bardic Inspiration and the [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]guidance [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]spell stack? Can they be applied to the same roll? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Yes, different effects stack if they don’t have the same name. If a creature makes an ability check while it is under the effect of a [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]guidance [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]spell and also has a Bardic Inspiration die, it can roll both a d4 and a d6 if it so chooses.

[NEW]
[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Is the intent that a bard gets to know the number rolled on an attack roll or ability check before using Cutting Words, or should they always guess? If used on a damage roll, does Cutting Words apply to any kind of damage roll including an auto-hit spell like [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]magic missile[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]
You can wait to use Cutting Words after the roll, but you must commit to doing so before you know for sure whether the total of the roll or check is a success or a failure. You can use Cutting Words to reduce the damage from any effect that calls for a damage roll (including [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]magic missile[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]) even if the damage roll is not preceded by an attack roll.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Does the fighter’s Action Surge feature let you take an extra bonus action, in addition to an extra action? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Action Surge gives you an extra action, not an extra bonus action. (Recent printings of the [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Player’s Handbook [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]no longer include the wording that provoked this question.)

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Can a bound and gagged druid simply use Wild Shape to get out? It’s hard to capture someone who can turn into a mouse at will. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Transforming into a different size can be an effective way of escaping, depending on the nature of the bonds or confinement. All things considered, someone trying to keep a druid captive might be wise to stash the prisoner in a room with an opening only large enough for air to enter.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Can a monk use Stunning Strike with an unarmed strike, even though unarmed strikes aren’t weapons? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Yes. Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks, and an unarmed strike is a special type of melee weapon attack. The game often makes exceptions to general rules, and this is an important exception: that unarmed strikes count as melee weapon attacks despite not being weapons.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Can the rogue’s Reliable Talent feature be used in conjunction with Remarkable Athlete or Jack of All Trades? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]No. Each of these features has a precondition for its use; Reliable Talent activates when you make an ability check that uses your proficiency bonus, whereas the other two features activate when you make an ability check that doesn’t use your proficiency bonus. In other words, a check that qualifies for Reliable Talent doesn’t qualify for Remarkable Athlete or Jack of All Trades. And Remarkable Athlete and Jack of All Trades don’t work with each other, since you can add your proficiency bonus, or any portion thereof, only once to a roll.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]The Shield Master feat lets you shove someone as a bonus action if you take the Attack action. Can you take that bonus action before the Attack action? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]No. The bonus action provided by the Shield Master feat has a precondition: that you take the Attack action on your turn. Intending to take that action isn’t sufficient; you must actually take it before you can take the bonus action. During your turn, you do get to decide when to take the bonus action after you’ve taken the Attack action. This sort of if-then setup appears in many of the game’s rules. The "if" must be satisfied before the "then" comes into play.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Is there a hard limit on how many short rests characters can take in a day, or is this purely up to the DM to decide? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]The only hard limit on the number of short rests you can take is the number of hours in a day. In practice, you’re also limited by time pressures in the story and foes interrupting.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]If the damage from [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]disintegrate [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]reduces a half-orc to 0 hit points, can Relentless Endurance prevent the orc from turning to ash? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Yes. The [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]disintegrate [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]spell turns you into dust only if the spell’s damage leaves you with 0 hit points. If you’re a half-orc, Relentless Endurance can turn the 0 into a 1 before the spell can disintegrate you.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]What happens if a druid using Wild Shape is reduced to 0 hit points by [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]disintegrate[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]? Does the druid simply leave beast form? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]The druid leaves beast form. As usual, any leftover damage then applies to the druid’s normal hit points. If the leftover damage leaves the druid with 0 hit points, the druid is disintegrated.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Using 5-foot squares, does [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]cloud of daggers [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]affect a single square? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Cloud of daggers [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT](5 ft. cube) can affect more than one square on a grid, unless the DM says effects snap to the grid. There are many ways to position that cube.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]What actions can monsters use to make opportunity attacks? Are Multiattack and breath weapon actions allowed? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]A monster follows the normal opportunity attack rules ([FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]PH[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT], 195), which specify that an attack of opportunity is one melee attack. That means a monster must choose a single melee attack to make, either an attack in its stat block or a generic attack, like an unarmed strike. Multiattack doesn’t qualify, not only because it’s more than one attack, but also because the rule on Multiattack ([FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]MM[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT], 11) states that this action can’t be used for opportunity attacks. An action, such as a breath weapon, that doesn’t include an attack roll is also not eligible.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]The [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]stinking cloud [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]spell says that a creature wastes its action on a failed save. So can it still use a move or a bonus action or a reaction? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Correct. The gas doesn’t immobilize a creature or prevent it from acting altogether, but the effect of the spell does limit what it can accomplish while the cloud lingers.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Does a creature with Magic Resistance have advantage on saving throws against Channel Divinity abilities, such as Turn the Faithless? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Channel Divinity creates magical effects (as stated in both the cleric and the paladin). Magic Resistance applies.

I wish the reply on stinking cloud had been more precise - since losing action loses you your bonus action too. Movement and reactions are fine but *technically* spending your action stretching is not the same as losing your action or cannot take action so this reply means...

Inside stinking cloud with failed save, I can still use bonus action abilities and spells that are otherwise legal.

If that's the actual intent, fine, but it seems off.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I'm using the word timing because that's what the bonus action rule uses.

Again, JEC has made it clear that some bonus actions follow an "if X then Y" model, and X must happen before you get the bonus action Y, and that this is what the words above in bold mean in the context of the bonus action rules. Or, in other words, there are two classes of bonus actions.

1) The bonus action itself has some kind of "if X then Y" trigger, and X must happen before you can do Y.
2) You just have the bonus action, and can do it any time you like on your turn.

If you don't think "timing" is the correct word to use to describe the first case, fair enough.

Right, I believe the bonus action rule about "unless the bonus action's timing is specified" doesn't apply to shield master. I believe you can choose when to use the shield master bonus action shove during your turn. However, I don't believe you even have the shield master bonus action to use before you take the attack action because of the "if you take the attack action then you can bonus action shove" (paraphrased) coupled with another less familiar rule I quote below.

See the difference in my construction? Nearly the same outcome but the way I get there is much different. I avoid timing issues altogether. The way I can say shield master doesn't specify timing and still get out of saying shield master can be used before the attack action as the rule you cited would seem to imply is by remembering another rule below:

You can take a bonus action only when a special ability, spell, or other feature of the game states that you can do something as a bonus action. You otherwise don't have a bonus action to take.

I view JC's tweets about the meaning of the "if then" clause in shield master more as a reference to the rule above than as a ruling about timing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
There's not really much to argue about, JEC has make it clear that Shield Master uses the "if A then B" timing rules on many occasions.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/994993596989300736
https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/995112448477749248

That is, you don't have the Shield Master shove bonus action until you've taken the Attack action.
None of which is official, and didn't make it into any of the official materials like Eratta or SA Compendium.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
You must have some sage advice that the rest of us don't. Cause there is sage advice about shield master.
But there's no Sage Advice on "take an action" meaning the action has to be finished. Not for bonus actions like JC originally references, not for Shield Master.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Sure. So when it comes to whether you can take a bonus action like misty step between attacks granted by the extra attack action, it seems to me that given the larger context of action and movement rules that allowing for misty step and other bonus actions between attacks is not a big leap to make.

True, and I'm not disputing that. The bonus action timing intent has been a mess, though it's been clarified repeatedly at this point (and people can take it or leave it).

My contention was with the start and end of an action as a game unit being hard to discern. It's not. It's usually fairly obvious, IMO.

5ekyu

Hero
You don't seem to be understanding the part you keep calling out. Here is an example of a bonus action with no timing specified. "In battle, you fight with primal ferocity. On your turn, you can enter a rage as a bonus action." Here is another example of no timing specified. "Starting at 2nd level, your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each o f your turns in combat." Now, here is an example of a bonus action with the timing specified. "If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield." It specifies that you have to actually take the attack action, not just declare that an attack action will be taken.
Since on this thread I have commented multiple times on the shield master timing etc the idea that you think I dont understand that it is a timing specified is funny.

Not sure if you really dont know or are just spinning.

Doesnt matter either way.

5ekyu

Hero
I think it's actually pretty simple, and most actions are simply instantaneous.

Attack - JEC says it ends when you've taken all your attacks.
Cast a Spell - Many/most of these are instantaneous. For example, Scorching Ray has a duration of "instantaneous" despite it having 3 or more rays that you roll to hit for individually.
Dash - Instantaneous. You take this action, and your speed doubles.
Disengage - Instantaneous. You take this action, and movement no longer provokes OAs.
Dodge - Instantaneous. You take this action, and all attacks against you have disadvantage.
Help - Open for debate.
Hide - Instantaneous.
Ready - Instantaneous.
Search - Open for debate, I'd argue not instantaneous.
Use an Object - Open for debate, probably not instantaneous.

There's no need to argue about breaking up a Dash, Disengage or Dodge action for example, because the action is instantaneous and the effects last for the duration. While those effects are in play, you can do other things you have access to, such as bonus actions or movement.
Re the bit about disengage and dash, even they get drawn into indivisible phantom tho.

My fighter rogue with cunning and extra attacks has two enemies- a weakened warrior and mage keeping hold person going on allies.

Rogue has two shortswords.

Rogue moves 15' to the warrior strikes (attack action first swing) hoping to drop the injured foe cuz he needs to hit the mage. Misses.

Now he wants to use cunning action to disengage from the warrior safely moving 15' around and away to strike the mage with his remaining extra attack. (If he had hit, no disengage needed, he could have gotten two strikes on the mage with his bonus action twf. )

I have never seen a GM who said "no, you cannot use your bonus action disengage because you have started an attack action and attack actions are indivisible by some bonus actions." Doubt I would see anyone object to it if the BA was cast Misty Step either

The GMs I have seen would be saying "smart, ok, so move and now make your..."

But some here seem to know that for bonus actions without certain keywords ( that the no timing specified bonus actions lack by default) the bonus action cannot be taken in between those strikes. They *know* that it's just *obvious* that bonus actions without timing specifies cannot be taken between attacks cuz "You choose when..." does not mean "You choose when... " seemingly like how "any time" does not mean "any time".

5ekyu

Hero
True, and I'm not disputing that. The bonus action timing intent has been a mess, though it's been clarified repeatedly at this point (and people can take it or leave it).

My contention was with the start and end of an action as a game unit being hard to discern. It's not. It's usually fairly obvious, IMO.
Yeah, me too.

Shield Master is what it is and after all those old tweets and tweet-versals they clarified in the latest combo of errata and sage compendium...

1 Shield master requires the attack action, not the intent of the attack action.
2 All previous and future tweets are unofficial - only sage advice compendium and actual rules are official.

They chose to not put indivisible actions into either of those sources with the errata and compendium.

They even chose to officially be to a GM to let timing specific bonus action reverse the order - EK cantrip melee attack for example.

None of which leads to the indivisible action kerfuffle still being a thing, to me.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
But there's no Sage Advice on "take an action" meaning the action has to be finished. Not for bonus actions like JC originally references, not for Shield Master.

Generally speaking it's not said that you have taken a drink, taken a turn, taken a college course etc until you have completed whatever it is that you are taking.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads