Thirteenth Doctor - First Season - Thoughts? (SPOILERS WELCOME)

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Hmm, since this thread has "just growed" (to several episodes), maybe the title could be edited?

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
The last time that Doctor Who had ratings this good David Tennant was the star (which is super good since Tennant is the record holder).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The last time that Doctor Who had ratings this good David Tennant was the star (which is super good since Tennant is the record holder).

Depends how far back you go. Tom Baker had 14.5m with City of Death and 13.5m with Destiny of the Daleks.

The highest sine the 2005 revival is Voyage of the Damned, which, like you say, was a Tennant (Xmas) episode with 13.3m viewers. He had a few 10m+ eps.

This series is doing super well though! The Woman Who Fell To Earth had 10.9m, which is about twice what most of Capaldi's run did.

For "first episode" ratings (comparing like for like), Whittaker is in the lead with 10.9, followed by Ecclestone with 10.81, then Tom Baker with 10.8.

Depends how far back you go. Tom Baker had 14.5m with City of Death and 13.5m with Destiny of the Daleks.

The highest sine the 2005 revival is Voyage of the Damned, which, like you say, was a Tennant (Xmas) episode with 13.3m viewers. He had a few 10m+ eps.

This series is doing super well though! The Woman Who Fell To Earth had 10.9m, which is about twice what most of Capaldi's run did.

For "first episode" ratings (comparing like for like), Whittaker is in the lead with 10.9, followed by Ecclestone with 10.81, then Tom Baker with 10.8.

I am wondering - was Tom Baker already well-known before he became the Doctor? A(s a foreigner I really don't know much about UK actors in that time.) What about the others? I think Witthaker is actually the only one I knew before I watched them, because I saw the first season of Broadchurch. Does their popularity in any way influence those numbers?

carrot

Explorer
I am wondering - was Tom Baker already well-known before he became the Doctor? A(s a foreigner I really don't know much about UK actors in that time.) What about the others? I think Witthaker is actually the only one I knew before I watched them, because I saw the first season of Broadchurch. Does their popularity in any way influence those numbers?

I don't believe Tom Baker was particularly famous before he took on the role as he'd mostly only had small roles. Most of the actors that came afterwards were pretty well known beforehand though. Matt Smith was probably the first "unknown". I suspect that there is a small popularity factor, but most of the numbers would be fans seeing if the new actor is any good.

Erekose

Eternal Champion

Well as someone old enough to remember Jon Pertwee as the Doctor, and I've also read Tom Baker's autobiography, I can safely say he [Tom Baker] was unknown by the general public (and certainly by children) until he became the Doctor.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I guess Eccleston was the most well known, having been in a few films, but even he wasn't exactly super famous.

Remove ads