Thirteenth Doctor - First Season - Thoughts? (SPOILERS WELCOME)

Hussar

Legend
How did the bad guy recognize and correctly name the TARDIS and not know who the Doctor is?

Well, it is supposed to be the first female incarnation of the Doctor, so, I could see not knowing who she is. Also, it goes back to River Song not knowing who the Peter Capaldi doctor was too. There are only supposed to be 13 Doctors (well, a bit less than that) so, any Doctor going forward might not actually be recognized the way the others were.

Wasn't Krasko's time gun set to send people into the future before Ryan messed with it? I also loved the dig at the TVM still being junk when it comes to time traveling lol

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'm really impressed by the episode, most Doctor History episodes are iconoclasmic romps but this one managed to be respectful and well researched (even including her NAACP Youth Council links). The cast were good, they managed to give the subject of racism gravitas while also working in a couple of jokes, a bit of social commentary and a closing tribute.

Well done

One question about the bad guy — why didn’t he just send Rosa Parks back in time? He couldn’t harm her, but he could send people back in time. Seems a much easier way to accomplish his aims.

I'm assuming its the same logic that makes the Weeping Angels bad - they don't actually kill you, they just "take your life away", I can accept the inhibitor accounting for that too

delericho

Legend
That was a great episode. Certainly the best of the three so far, and perhaps even the best of the entire revived series. But it certainly wasn't easy viewing.

One thing I found quite compelling was the unpleasant realisation that the Doctor and Graham needed to *be* the white people taking up the space so the driver had to tell Parks to move. You could see they so wanted to help, but knew they couldn't.

It was important that they didn't make to that the Doctor inspired Parks, or caused the events, or anything like that. It was a strong choice to have nobody even really notice the Doctor, and for none of the primary characters agency to be altered or reduced. They all made the choices and did the things they did on their own initiative, and the Doctor had nothing to do that. Instead, she was busy dealing with a time traveller and ensuring he didn't stop it, while staying out of the way.
It would have been kinda funny if they didn't realize what was up, and the Doctor would just give up her spot for Rosa Parks, only to realize she just has screwed up the timeline and has to fix things.

7a96ca4091c461e254f4fb77c70f78e4.jpg

Remove ads