D&D 5E PAX PRIME 2014: Acquisitions Inc. - Five Heads are Better than None

R

RHGreen

PAX PRIME 2014: Acquisitions Inc. - Five Heads are Better than None

Can't see it posted anywhere else so I thought I'd put the link up.

http://www.twitch.tv/pax/c/5035924

Aquisitions-Incorporated-Art.jpg

zoroaster100

First Post
What was up with the critical hit rule the DM and player's were using? That was different than the Player's Handbook rule for crits. Was that just that they messed up and used the wrong rule, or does that mean that the crit rules are getting changed in the next printing of the PHB? They were using: max damage, and then roll one damage die again on top of that.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
What was up with the critical hit rule the DM and player's were using? That was different than the Player's Handbook rule for crits. Was that just that they messed up and used the wrong rule, or does that mean that the crit rules are getting changed in the next printing of the PHB? They were using: max damage, and then roll one damage die again on top of that.

I haven't watched, but maybe they decided to do that to help speed things up a bit? Or maybe Perkins forgot which crit rule was the final rule.

Thaumaturge.

Uller

Adventurer
It was the rule from the last playtest packet. My group still uses it because a) less dice rolling - some of my players take forever to add up damage on a normal hit and b) it gives great axes at least one minor advantage over greatswords and mauls (d12 + max > d6 + max).

Chris perkins said in one of his art of dming articles a long time ago he doesnt like to roll more than one or two dice for damage for the sake of time and mimizing swinginess.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Anyone who watches any of the A.I. games can see that Chris Perkins is never really up on any of the official rules and always just seems to wing it. Even in this game he had to look up whether the enemies that had jumped on top of Binwin granted him cover or not. I suspect that he spends most of his time at WotC doing so much of the "creative writing" aspects of the game (monsters, story bibles etc.) that the actual current rules just fall by the wayside in his mind (until he's probably played them enough.) These playtest changes probably wreaked havoc on his memory of them.

So yeah... the players used the old critical hit rules that they remembered from their last game, and Chris either forgot what the new rules actually were, or just didn't care and let them roll max damage + an extra die. After all... these presentations have always been about showing the fun at the table in two hours, rather than a treatise on the "game" itself. Whatever kept the game flowing quickly and was the most fun is what Chris concerned himself with... not getting the rules 100% correct.

Personally, I've loved almost every single thing A.I. has ever done, and the Live Games at PAX have always been a highlight. I've found them to be a much more entertaining listening experience than many other "live game" videos or podcasts. I hope they always continue to do them.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Ed Greenwood publicly acknowledged Chris Perkins's role in getting 5E from the never-ending playtest and into production as a finished, functioning game so I dare say that Chris knows what the current critical rules are.

However, the PCs were well and truly out of their depth in this battle so I think he was simply being kind in an effort to avoid a TPK.

zoroaster100

First Post
The variant crit rules were not an issue in me enjoying watching the game. It was fun to watch. I was just curious though, since I actually prefer that max damage rule to rolling double damage. I thought the game was a nice way to illustrate use of minis and props without getting bogged down by the grid.

Vael

Legend
I actually prefer the old crit rules.

I found this is one of their better adventures. Better paced, and everyone was clearly have a ball. And some impressive callbacks.

I will say, though, I have no memory of the fifth character's outing. I was half-expecting the return of Aeofel.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I will say, though, I have no memory of the fifth character's outing. I was half-expecting the return of Aeofel.

Patrick Rothfuss debuted at last year's PAX Prime 2013 game (or more specifically, at the A.I. podcast game prior to PAX Prime) that introduced his character Viari to Acquisitions Inc. They had to find a new intern because Wil Wheaton's schedule was filling up and he was no longer able to participate anymore. Then at PAX East 2014 they had a live game there too for the first time, and as Rothfuss wasn't able to make it, they had Morgan Webb take on the role of intern.

Remove ads