• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3.5e Planescape Game

Awakened

First Post
Fear the simian shaman!

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Watarimono
[B]Class:[/B] Spirit Shaman 1
[B]Size:[/B] medium (+0)
[B]Gender:[/B] male
[B]Alignment:[/B] chaotic good
[B]Deity:[/B] Only worships nature and its spirits

[B]Str:[/B] 9 -1 (01p.)     [B]Level:[/B] 1        [B]XP:[/B] 0
[B]Dex:[/B] 14 +2 (06p.)     [B]BAB:[/B] +0         [B]HP:[/B] 8 (1d8+0)
[B]Con:[/B] 10 +0 (02p.)     [B]Grapple:[/B] -1     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] 0
[B]Int:[/B]  10 +0 (02p.)     [B]Speed:[/B] 30', 20' Climb      [B]Spell Res:[/B] 00
[B]Wis:[/B] 15 +2 (08p.)     [B]Init:[/B] +2        [B]Spell Save:[/B] +0
[B]Cha:[/B] 14 +2 (06p.)     [B]ACP:[/B] -2         [B]Spell Fail:[/B] 00%

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]     10       +2    +1    +2    +0    +0    +0    15
[B]Touch:[/B]    13              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 13

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                2      +0    +0     +2    
[B]Ref:[/B]                 0       +2    +0    +2
[B]Will:[/B]                 2       +2    +0    +4

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Longspear                    -1        1d8-1            x3
Shortbow                     +2       1d6                x3 

[B]Languages:[/B] Common

[B]Abilities:[/B] Can take 10 when climbing, even if threatened. Can move
at 30 ft. climb at -5. Spirit guide: Racoon. Wild empathy 1d20+lv+cha.  

[B]Spells Prepared:[/B]  Caster Level: 1
  0th Level (3;DC 12): Detect Magic, Guidance, Light
  1st Level (2;DC 13): Entangle, Command

[B]Feats:[/B] Light Armor Proficiency, Shield Proficiency, Point Blank Shot,
Alterness (Given by spirit guide)

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 16       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 4/2
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Balance                      0    +2       +4         +6
Concentration             4     +0       +0         +4
Heal                          2     +2       +0         +4
Hide                          0     +2       +2         +4
Jump                         0     -1       +4          +3
Know (local)               4     +0       +0         +4                   
Listen                        2     +2       +0         +4
Move Silently              0     +2       +2         +4         
Survival                     2     +2       +0         +4
Spot                         2     +2       +0         +4               

[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]
Ashigaru Armor               25 gp    20 lb.
Buckler                         15 gp    5 lb
Monk's Outfit                  5 gp     2 lb
Twenty Arrows               1 gp     3 lb    
Shortbow                      30 gp    2 lb    
Longspear                     5 gp      9 lb
Leather Belt                   3 gp      0 lb
Two throwing axes          16 gp    4 lb          
Backpack                       2 gp     2 lb
Waterskin                       1 gp    4 lb
[B]Total Weight:[/B]51 lb      [B]Money:[/B] 00gp 8sp 3cp

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]       30     60     90   180   450

[B]Age:[/B] 46
[B]Height:[/B] 5'0"
[B]Weight:[/B] 110lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Hidden beneath his straw hat
[B]Hair:[/B]  Light blue hair all over his body
[B]Other:[/B] Crescent moon insignia and much of his equipment
[B]Skin:[/B] Pale peach
[B]Appearance:[/B] The blue-furred vanara Watarimono paces down the thin dirt path that slices the forest in half like a scimitar slash. A piece of straw hangs out of his elongated, chimp-like mouth and his eyes are shielded by his saucer helm. He wears the armor of a militia man over his monk outfit, a breastplate, and laced metal shin guards and thigh protectors. He wears a small pack on his back, along with a longspear. His short bow is slung over his shoulder and his arrows lie at the ready in his red and white, handknit quiver. He has a buckler shield stamped with a crescent moon on his left hand. Completing the outfit is a rough leather belt, where the slender vanaran has slipped two handaxes that cross on his waist in an x shape. His blue tail searches for tracks as he walks, probing the ground with the furless tip. He’s following Kimyou, his spirit racoon, whose bandit-mask markings are apparently not just for show as Kimyou stops on the side of the road to steal an acorn from a squirrel’s late autumn pile. As the lights of the daimyo’s capital city come into sight, Watarimono's thick lips form into a whimsical grin.

There's my first draft, I'm not satisfied with my background yet, I will have it up by tomorrow. Does everything look okay?

Boddynock

First Post
Lobo Lurker said:
Hi All,

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this but here goes: www.gogamer.com is having a sale on Planescape: Torment only $2.90 for it and someother game I've never heard of.

Lots of Planescape lovin' in that game. :lol:
Sigh! Only available for delivery in Continental USA. :(

'Nock

LordAspen

First Post
Thanks for all the setting input I appreciate it.

I am really enjoying the game so far. The three of you in it so far with me are unbelievable. I have only been in 2 other very short lived on-line games (both AU based) and haven't experienced anywhere near this level of writing and creativity. Believe it or not I am in awe. Thanks for a good game!

p.s. Have mercy on poor Rhys for he is a long way from home. Also forgive me for my terrible writing. Hopefully it will improve.

The803

First Post
Awakened, Watarimono looks good; apply his racial mods and you're all set. Join the party in the IC thread when you're ready; just assume similar circumstances; you somehow came to Sigil after ducking through some portal and now you're at a huge party intended to summon up a gate to the halflings' tavern-heaven or some such.

Here's the link again...
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=114211

Last edited:

The803

First Post
Lobo, feel free to change up spells (by asking just the way you did) when the action is "loose;" by which I mean times we're not playing moment-by-moment. Most game time is like this, but do ask when you want to change stuff.

Regarding Jurgen's sudden head-shaving and the game so far, I've composed the following editorial in an attempt to clarify my DMing style. Sorry it's a bit long; I just got going and couldn't stop. I'm very pleased with the work you are all putting in and I think you're the creative sort of players I like to tell stories with. I just threw out this whopper so anyone who joins us in the future will know what they're getting into with me at the helm...

Before I begin discussing how I DM, step out of D&D land into movieland for a bit. If any of you don't like or don't remember Pulp Fiction for whatever reason, my apologies for the following examples from that film. If you've never seen Pulp Fiction, I highly recommend it; it's aged pretty well over the last decade.

Clarifying the difference between sleeping with a man's wife and giving her a foot massage doesn't make your aim sharper, but it might be what prompts the miracle that makes the bullets miss when the scrawny white guy (who looks vaguely like Jerry Seinfeld) comes screaming out of the bathroom with a hand cannon and empties it at you and the guy you clarified the difference with. Copping out and saying "Man, I don't even have an opinion" when asked about such a miracle might be what gets your skull and brains accidentally painted on the back window of those guys' Oldsmobile; "You gotta have an opinion."

OK. Back to our party in Sigil's Hive ward:

Not that we're not going to have combat and adventures and heroism and such, but earning "experience points" is all about telling an interesting story, and being in Sigil is all the rationale that's needed to explain how cutting your hair, naming a nethling (sorry I didn't give a better initial description and more to go on, by the way), or devising a party game to justify giving out free drinks, contributes to your "spiritual power" or whatever you want to call it.

Cutting off your back-length dreds at a party in Sigil's hive is not like going to the corner barber-shop and plunking down eight bucks for a trim. Getting a hotel room for Gen Con is not the same as driving 2000 miles to set up a live-in art installation at Burning Man. If it's interesting and entertaining and it gives us an idea of who your character is, it earns you points in my campaign. Not all DMs work this way; those DMs would probably rather go to Gen Con than to Burning Man anyway. And that's as it should be; I just want anyone who reads this to know what sort of DM I am.

Here are the nuts and bolts: I believe in rewarding players' creativity (which is all about effort) throughout play rather than their characters' performance (which is mostly about luck) in a few risky, bloody situations that could be avoided altogether with a little of that aforementioned effort. Munchkins (by my personal definition of that nasty, nasty label) often fail to understand that the two things do go together whenever you can't see the dice that the DM claims to be rolling; this is D&D, not Magic: the Gathering. That's why I use the standard point-buy; your choices and effort count more than your luck with the dice.

I think the biggest strength of PBP is the pace and the ability to go back and amend and improve things to make the story as good as it can be. If I wanted quick thinking and teamwork under pressure and all that I'd be running a D&D game over IRC (or just playing Halo, for that matter).

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
The803, are you full yet? Would you take a human rogue? I have been looking for a planescape game for quite a long time, but I noticed your thread only today... I was wishing to play a young female human rogue from the main material plane or from an alternate material plane. Possibly with some fiendish blood, but it is not necessary for me to actually support that with a game tool (such as being Tiefling or using a template), it can just be the flavor of it, and it can also remain unknown if she truly has fiendish blood or if it's just a family legend.

The character concept is that of a girl coming from a gypsy or nomadic tribe in her home plane, which rumors say that it keeps some secrets about the universe (civilized people on her home plane or region aren't aware of the multiverse, or at least they haven't explored it enough yet). So she is supposed to have some "stray knowledge" of other planes from the tales of elders in her tribe.

Later character development may be a couple of levels of Sorcerer (family talent for innate magic) and/or qualifying for Gatecrasher once she has been adventuring on the planes enough to justify those portal-related skills.

I hope I'm not too late, let me know what you think :p ...

The803

First Post
Character creation instructions can be found earlier in this thread.

Awakened has yet to join us, but the party is currently mingling in a large public (sort of) area, so either of you are welcome to join in, but I need two things from any new player.

First; put your character up here and get a green light on it from me. An apprentice gatecrasher would be a nice addition, and the fiendish blood can be added later if the family legends are indeed true.

Second, and more important now that the story has left Sigil, get caught up with what's going on before inserting your character into the story. If you like, just assume your character has experienced something like what the PCs have experienced already, but do make it your own. Get a backstory in mind (how you got to where you are) and be prepared to explain it (in character) by interacting with the other PCs. The environment is particularly good for jumping in at the moment; a whole mess of cagers (including yours, if you choose to join us) just got dumped into a very strange new environment.

Put your 1st-level, 25-point Standard Point Buy character up, along with some possible backstory ideas if you're not secretive and want a little nudge into the flow of the story. Check out Lobo's head-shaving scene for an excellent example of an inserted backstory.

I think I put the limit of PCs at 6, so with Li and Awakened, there's still room for one more. Also, I'm not strict about it but I do like to post once per day; any slower than that is just painful.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
OK! And thank you :) I can write up the character "numbers" before the end of the day, but writing the background is going to take longer, so I'll think about it tonight and write it tomorrow. I read the IC thread yesterday and I had an idea about how to meet the others, but the story has already developed so I have to think something else.

I can post daily, but I usually have problems on Saturday and Sunday to get web access. I'll see if I can sneak into some friends' house whenever I can for the weekends.

One more thing: I have always read articles about planescape, but my knowledge is very fragmented and I am sure my memories are often "wrong". I have thought before that instead of seeing the limitation, I can turn it into a RP idea, so my messed-up OOC knowledge becomes my messed-up IC knowledge about the planes, which is made from the story of the other gypsies and therefore it is indeed very fragmented and truth & legends are mixed up.

Velmont

First Post
I think I put the limit of PCs at 6, so with Li and Awakened, there's still room for one more. Also, I'm not strict about it but I do like to post once per day; any slower than that is just painful.

Planescape. SO long I havn't touch to it, and so good setting. I havn't read all yet, but if I understand the last message you wrote, there is still one room left. Before submitting a concpet, I will read the start of the thread and looks what the team looks like, but I am interested.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Meenah

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Meenah
[B]Class:[/B] Rogue
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Female
[B]Alignment:[/B] CG
[B]Deity:[/B] None. She occasionally worships her ancestors or make small offerings for deities of luck or travel.

[B]Str:[/B] 08 -1 (00p.)     [B]Level:[/B] 1        [B]XP:[/B] 0
[B]Dex:[/B] 16 +3 (10p.)     [B]BAB:[/B] +0         [B]HP:[/B] 6   (1d6)
[B]Con:[/B] 10 +0 (02p.)     [B]Grapple:[/B] -1     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] nil
[B]Int:[/B] 14 +2 (06p.)     [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      [B]Spell Res:[/B] nil
[B]Wis:[/B] 10 +0 (02p.)     [B]Init:[/B] +3        [B]Spell Save:[/B] -
[B]Cha:[/B] 13 +1 (05p.)     [B]ACP:[/B] -1         [B]Spell Fail:[/B] na

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +3    +0    +3    +0    +0    +0    16
[B]Touch:[/B] 13              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 13

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      0    +0   +0        +0
[B]Ref:[/B]                       2    +3   +0        +5
[B]Will:[/B]                      0    +0   +0        +0

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Shortbow                    +3     1d6        19-20/x2
Dagger (thrown)             +3      1d4-1     19-20/x2
Dagger                      +3      1d4-1      19-20/x2
Rapier                      +3     1d4-1      18-20/x2

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Draconic, Auran

[B]Abilities:[/B] Trapfinding; Sneak Attack +1d6

[B]Feats:[/B] Weapon Finess, Endurance

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 44       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 4/2
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Appraise (INT)             0    +2          +2
Balance (DEX)              2    +3          +5
Bluff (CHA)                4    +1          +5
Climb (STR)                4    -1          +3
Craft (untrained) (INT)    0    +2          +2
Diplomacy (CHA)            0    +1          +1
Disable Device (INT)       2    +2          +4
Disguise (CHA)             0    +1          +1
Escape Artist (DEX)        2    +3          +5
Forgery (INT)              0    +2          +2
Gather Information (CHA)   2    +1          +3
Hide (DEX)                 2    +3          +5
Intimidate (CHA)           0    +1          +1
Jump (STR)                 4    -1          +3
Listen (WIS)               0    +0          +0
Move Silently (DEX)        2    +3          +5
Open Lock (DEX)            2    +3          +5
Perform (Dance) (CHA)      4    +1          +5
Ride (DEX)                 0    +3          +3
Search (INT)               2    +2          +4
Sleight of Hand (DEX)      4    +3          +7
Spot (WIS)                 0    +0          +0
Swim (STR)                 0    -1          -1
Tumble (DEX)               4    +3          +7
Use Magic Device (CHA)     4    +1          +5
Use Rope (DEX)             0    +3          +3

[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]
Rapier                        20gp  2lb
Dagger                         2gp  1lb
Shortbow                    30gp  2lb
20 arrows                      1gp  3lb
Studded leather             25gp  20lb

Backpack                 2gp  2lb
Belt pouch                 1gp  0.5lb
Scroll case               1gp  0.5lb
Waterskin                 1gp  4lb
Flint & steel            1gp  0lb
Rope*                      1gp  10lb
Rations* (4)              2gp  4lb
Winter blanket*          0.5gp  3lb
Lamp and oil* (4)        0.5gp  5lb
Soap*                       0.5gp 1lb
Sewing needle*           0.5gp  0lb
Thieves' tools            30gp  1lb

Explorer's outfit         0gp  0lb
Entertainer's outfit*     3gp  4lb

Scroll of Mount** (CL 1, arcane)   25gp
Scroll of Comprehend Languages** (CL 1, divine) 25gp
Scroll of Cure Light Wounds** (CL 1, divine) 25gp

*in the backpack
**in the scroll case

[B]Total Weight:[/B]  63lb    [B]Money:[/B] 3gp

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy   Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]                

[B]Age:[/B] 21
[B]Height:[/B] 5'5"
[B]Weight:[/B] 115lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Dark brown
[B]Hair:[/B] Dark brown, tied in a long straight tail
[B]Skin:[/B] Tanned olive

Appearance: Meenah appears as a quite small and frail girl at first sight. She is not noticeably beautiful, but she's very graceful in her movements and her eyes often seem particularly alive when in conversation with other people, as she could not hide her innate curiosity for almost anything strange and new. She has learned to use her voice to give others the impression of her being friendly, innocent, dangerous or in desperate need of help, depending on the circumstances.

Background: Meenah has always lived her life within her travelling peaceful tribe of merchants, artists, performers, problem-solvers, fortune-tellers, healers and jack-of-all-trades. She herself has usually been dancing for the most varied (and sometimes questionable) audiences to gain a few spare coins, but the truth is that in her tribe everyone is a little bit of all those things, as the necessity arises or as soon as there is someone willing to pay for a job.
Of course, in a travelling life there has been already plenty of occasions for adventuring, including troubles. Her people are welcome almost everywhere in their homeworld, but sometimes the legends they tell about ancient mysteries or the existence of outside worlds have irritated some communities, especially those ruled by strong religious hierarchies. Rumours have been spread often about her people (normally called simply "the travellers" or "the restless" by others) having mysterious origins or bloodlines, and these rumours mixed up with her people tales of past generation and grew in time, so that not even the restless remember what was history and what was myth.

Recent events: A sad event has stroken into Meenah's life only six month ago: one of the eldest member of her tribe has prophesized that she will never give birth to any child. Not that she had particularly cared before about this, but for the first time in her life she suddenly knew that there was something, and not a minor thing, which she could have never done... life was not completely free as she always had felt. She turned very sad, with shame and guilt for not being able to give continuity to her family, but she was not left alone by her people. Some of the other elders spoke to her, and conviced her that this was a sign for her destiny to be something else, that she would have been very important for her people, but in another way than what most are, and that's why the ancients have forbidden her to give birth: because she has another road to walk, a much more unique path to find.

In the past months the elders spent much more time with her than they did during her first 20 years of life. They treated her with care and love, and they told her the stories she has always heard, about strange worlds to explore beyond home, some of them wondrous and some deadly dangerous, with weird creatures and amazing people. Only that this time, these tales sounded different... unlike when she was a child, and the voices of the storytellers inspired wonder and awe in her, now she felt like she was not being entertained, but teached.

They told Meenah soon that the charioteer would have joined their tribe, while travelling along the salted river. The charioteer would have stayed three days, and would have accepted her on his mount if the girl had agreed to leave with him. He arrived one day of heavy rain, and the rain hadn't stopped on the third day when she made her choice of leaving her people and following the rider. There was no feast or celebration for her departure, but all her closest family members went one by one into her wagon cabin to hug her to their heart, and each gave her a little useful thing to keep in her backpack. Three of the elders gave her one scroll each: one to help her understand the strangers, one to cure her when in need, and one to run away from danger. Before leaving, she finally packed up her dancing dress in her backpack, more for sentimental reasons than because she thought she needed it.

The ride with the charioteer never seemed to have an end. In the rain it felt like they travelled for days without ever dismounting. Then she saw an archway in the rain. Not a material construction, just an invisible arch in the air, where the rain was not falling through and seemed instead to slip around an imaginary entrance, and the charioteer was indeed going to ride through it. She was so tired and battered by the heavy rain, and the emotion was too much for her, so she fainted as they passed.

Meenah wakes up in a very small but kind of comfortable room, dimly lit by a candle. Her clothes and backpack have been placed with care beside the bed. No sign of the charioteer or anyone else around...

Last edited:

Remove ads