• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[CoC d20] Flintlock & Tomahawk

MummyKitty

First Post
I fleshed out my character using the sites suggested by Dr. Zombie. I think it worked out pretty well, so I'd say he's ready for checking. The language thing was a little weird, it said I get 5 levels of language so maybe I could take a couple more. If so, I'll go for Dutch and Italian.

Dr. Zombie, I think your character could work as a sort of "batsman" to my character, perhaps "loaned" to Archibald by a wealthy widow friend who felt he needed help running his household. Or, you could be in the employ of Taitzu's character, whichever you prefer.

Comments welcome!

taitzu52

First Post
A couple of questions:

Is there synergy on skills in CoC d20?

Are we living in a fairly demilitarized zone, or is life going on as usual? How common was military service among the average male colonist?

Also, I noticed that Wealth is offlimits. Is our starting funds based on 'occupation'? I was hoping that I could have a bit of land to go along with my whole distillery notion. Lemme know if this'll fly.

taitzu52

First Post
Quincy Abcott, Esq.
Barrister, Bootlegger, Patriot

bagermr._full.jpg

Stats:
Investigator 5– offensive option
Height: 5’6”
Weight: 145 lbs.
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown

Str: 10
Dex: 12
Con: 15
Int: 14
Wis: 8
Cha: 14

Hit Dice:
HP: 32 (8+24)
AC: 12 (10 base, +1 Dex, +1 Defense bonus)
-- touch: 11 (10 base, +1 Dex)
-- flat-footed: 10 (base 10)
Init: +1 (+1 Dex)
Speed: 30’

Current Sanity: 40
Max. Sanity: 99
20% sanity: 8

Saves:
Fortitude +5 (base +1, Con +2, +1 Great Fortitude)
Reflex +5 (base +4, Dex +1)
Will +3 (base +1, Wis -1, +1 Iron Will)

Attacks:
BAB: +4
- Melee +4 (+4 BAB, +0 Str)
-- Unarmed +4 (1d3+1, subdual)
- Ranged +5 (+4 BAB, +1 Dex)
-- Musket +5 (2d6/x3/100 ft./9 lb./Bludgeoning and Piercing)

Skills
Current Skill Points: 80
Skill Points per Level: 10

Appraise +2
Balance +1
Bluff* +7 (5 ranks, +2 Cha)
Climb +0
Concentration +2
Craft (Brewing)* +7 (5 ranks, +2 Int)
Craft (Carpentry)* +7 (5 ranks, +2 Int)
Craft (Gunsmithing) +3 (1 ranks, +2 Int)
Craft (Writing)* +4 (2 ranks, +2 Int)
Diplomacy* +11 (7 ranks, +2 Cha, +2 Sense Motive)
Disguise +2
Escape Artist +1
Forgery +3 (1 ranks, +2 Int)
Gather Information* +9 (7 ranks, +2 Cha)
Handle Animal +2 (1 ranks, +2 Cha)
Heal -1
Hide +1
Innuendo -1
Intimidate* +9 (5 ranks, +2 Cha, +2 Bluff)
Knowledge (Accounting) +3 (1 ranks, +2 Int)
Knowledge (Architecture) +3 (1 ranks, +2 Int)
Knowledge (History) +3 (1 ranks, +2 Int)
Knowledge (Law)* +9 (7 ranks, +2 Int)
Knowledge (Local: Boston) +3 (1 ranks, +2 Int)
Listen +1 (-1 Wis, +2 Alertness)
Move Silently +1
Performance +2
Ride* +6 (5 ranks, +1 Dex)
Search* +6 (4 ranks, +2 Int)
Sense Motive* +6 (7 ranks, -1Wis)
Slight of Hand +4 (1 ranks, +1 Dex, +2 Bluff)
Spot +1 (-1 Wis, +2 Alertness)
Swim +0
Tumble +1
Wilderness Lore* +4 (5 ranks, -1 Wis)

Feats:
Alertness (starting)
Iron Will(starting)
Weapon Proficiency- Ranged(Offensive bonus feat)
Great Fortitude (3rd level)

Languages:
English (native)
French
Algonquin

Equipment:

Appearance:
Quinn Abcott is an average looking man in his early forties. His nose has a proper curve, and his chin is well plumped, a sign of his prosperity. He is in fair shape, aside from the creeping spread of a belly which has recently taken hold around his midsection. He wears a subdued, brown wig when in town or in his office, and a much larger white coif when he appears in court. Well to do, he dresses in the better formal fashions available in the colonies when in town. But at home, he prefers to wear plain brown or grey breeches and vests.

Personality:
Quinn is a drinker, and has been for many years. He usually has a few nips before lunch, especially when he has a date in court, and is fairly tossed by dinner time. This does not impair him in most of his skills. He is still a rather genial fellow, and is able to work long hours, and rise early despite his habits. He keeps his family out of the public eye on his farm, a choice that is seen as a bit less fashionable than the other barristers in town. Abcott is a fierce libertarian, feeling that he and his fellow colonists should enjoy their rights of privacy, and pursuit of happiness. Especially when it comes to the King's taxation on liquor.

Background:
The Abcott family has always been well off. Young Quincy was shipped off to London for his formal education, and his late father's inheritance allowed him to build his estate on a fine piece of property. He has since served in the militia, married to a woman of fine breeding, established a successful office of law, and raised 4 children, ages 14-3. He is well aware of the dangers of Colonial life, and has never shirked from defending his family, and their liberties.

Last edited:

DrZombie

First Post
Sure I'll be your batsman, mummykitty. But I draw the line at the spandex costume and the silly cape. And I get to drive the batmobile. :D

MummyKitty

First Post
DrZombie said:
Sure I'll be your batsman, mummykitty. But I draw the line at the spandex costume and the silly cape. And I get to drive the batmobile. :D
LOL Dr. Z! Though I would probably be "Clockman, master of clocks" instead of batman. You could be my sidekick "Tick Tock". But we could still potentially have a bat-carriage.... :lol:

Kidding of course.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Hey, all. Just checking in. Things are pretty tricky at work right now, and, for various reasons (cost, staggering of roommate move-in dates), I still don't have internet at home. I definitely want to run this, but it's going to be some time yet.

Thanks for your patience,
Nick

Old Fezziwig

Internet update: I talked with the cable company yesterday, and it looks like the earliest I can get someone over to my place to set everything up is October 29, so we're on hold until then. I have something else I need to ask re: characters, but I'll post that later, after work.

Nick

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
So...with the pause in the game starting, any chance you'd take one more? I bought the CoC d20 back when it first came out and have only used it fo a single 1-shot. I love American history-and the literature of this time (I'm an American Lit. teacher) and would love to play a character of some description. Possibly a farmer or blacksmith-a working man.

at the very least, I'd like to be an alt.

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

Hey, all. I apologize for the delay in getting back to this thread. Internet is confirmed for Saturday the 29th (finally), so we should be ready to start come Halloween at the latest. Good times. Good times. Given this, if anyone wants to back out, now would be a good time, because I do want to get into the actual game pretty quickly. ;)

taitzu52: Sorry I missed this before. Yes, I think there is skill synergy (at least I remember it being there when I played this before). The area is not quite demilitarized, but it is a fairly safe area as it is fairly urban (in and around Boston). There wasn't any compulsory military service that I'm aware of, save for British regulars in the service of the crown. My assumption is that folks did what they could or had to do. It was still a largely unsettled area compared to what it would be later in the colonial period. The distillery idea sounds fine -- if you really want to take Wealth, go ahead. Just be aware that this is intended as a one-shot.

Shaggy: Frukathka's MIA, so I'm going to say "yes." Welcome aboard.

More soon,
Nick

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads