• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should a NPC cleric heal himself?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I avoid clerics casting healing on themselves. Instead, they cast invisibility, then heal themselves, then place beneficial spells on their allies and then have invisibility drop with their highest level inflict spell on the enemy's healer.

That's my take on DM ethics. Players play dirty, and so should intelligent NPCs.

I just realized what this reminded me of, a player once who complained that NPC's should never use potions, scrolls or other consumable magic items in their possession, and that DM's who equip them with them are unfair.

The reason? The amount of gear an NPC gets must be precisely equal to the NPC wealth-by-level table (or so he says), and thus when you kill him and take his stuff, you get exactly "X" amount of treasure. If he's chugging Cure Serious Wounds potions, reading Fireball scrolls, and pulling items off his Robe of Useful Objects to try and get away, the DM is "cheating" because he's reducing his treasure value with each turn, or as he put it: "He's drinking our treasure!"

ThirdWizard

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I avoid clerics casting healing on themselves. Instead, they cast invisibility, then heal themselves, then place beneficial spells on their allies and then have invisibility drop with their highest level inflict spell on the enemy's healer.

Throw in some summoned monsters, and I'm on board with that!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
ThirdWizard said:
Throw in some summoned monsters, and I'm on board with that!
Gah, I knew I forgot something! (This was an actual NPC kobold cleric of Tiamat's moves in a recent adventure.)

The best part is that, after the PC-classed kobolds killed/knocked unconscious the two player characters they faced (after the player characters killed the mook NPC class kobolds) and were busy robbing the gnome cleric's body, other player characters finally arrived and chased them off.

The players now have a real bone to pick with these kobolds next time they run into them. What I'd intended as a one-off encounter has given me a memorable pair of NPCs (Pick, the kobold cleric of Tiamat, and Blacktooth, the kobold ranger) for future adventures.

wingsandsword said:
"He's drinking our treasure!"
This is often why intelligent NPCs are so mad at the PCs in the games I run. They have their own evil (or noble) agendas, but in the end, it's about killing the PC's and taking their stuff (and the stuff rightfully owned by all of the NPCs and monsters the PCs have already savagely cut down.) My players know better than to use consumable items within view of NPC opponents.

As for the actual topic, yeah, this was totally out of line and a gross violation of the GM code of ethics.
GM Code of Ethics said:
Thou shalt not allow spells to be cast which might hinder the PCs. All NPCs shall be helpful, yet expendable. NPC "foes" of the player characters shall not use, nor shall they possess: Spells, Magic Items, Armor, Weapons, Limbs, Brains, or any other thing with might cause them to be interesting. "Foes" shall all be magically self-levitating, unlocked durable wooden chests filled with gems or other easily divisable, easily negotiable wealth with which PCs might better buy what magic items, weapons, armor, etc. best suits their tastes.

After all, the game is supposed to be fun

Gee, you wouldn't want to do something terrible like make the final encounter with the BBEG a challenging, memorable encounter now!

I can't believe that they complained about a cleric healing himself and the AC 21. What did they expect him to do? :confused: He's a cleric for crying out loud! And did they complain about the rogue sneak attacking, the fighter using power attack and the wizard casting spells at them?

Just out of interest, what level is the party?

Olaf the Stout

the Jester

Legend
Aeson said:
In our game yesterday the party fought an undead cleric. I wanted to make it more of a challange. The cleric had an inflict serious wounds spell. I used it to heal the cleric. I heard groans from most of the people at the table. One went as far to say that it was against "the GM code of ethics" (which I never heard of) for a cleric to heal himself like that. Another arguement he had was it prolongs the battle.

Sheesh!!

Your players sound like a bunch of whiners. "Oh, wizard bad guys shouldn't cast spells, it just prolongs the battle. Oh, and your fighter npcs? Bad form, letting them wear armor!"

In my just barely tongue-in-cheek opinion, you need to tpk them and let 'em know that they don't always get to win.

Mycanid

First Post
HUH?!?!

Why in the blazes not?

I'm with 3wiz and whizbang ... the npc shoulda thrashed 'em more.

Are these guys 0 level pc's verses a 25th level evil cleric or something?!?!?

Remove ads