Masks of Nyarlathotep: Chapter 2 (London)

Gomez

First Post
It is a mistake to fancy that horror is associated inextricably with darkness, silence, and solitude. I found it in the glare of mid-afternoon, in the clangour of a metropolis, and in the teeming midst of a shabby and commonplace rooming-house with a prosaic landlady and two stalwart men by my side.

H.P. Lovecraft - "Cool Air"

Thus begins the second chapter of my Masks of Nyarlathotep play by post game. Wherein our stalwart investigators delve in London's gloom and fog to find answers to friend's murder. But at what cost!

R.M.S. Mauretania
East River Docks
New York City
Early Morning January 19th, 1926

mauretania2.jpg

The sky is a clear blue and the breeze is light. Though cool it is nowhere near as cold as it has been the past week. Clusters of people crowd the pier as the passengers say their good-byes or attempt to get their luggage aboard. Porters weave among the crowd pushing carts stacked with trunks and other baggage. Women in expensive furs try and keep their children close and under control. Gentlemen smoke pipes and read the morning newspapers as they wait in line to board the great red, black, and white ship tied up to the pier.

A group of people waits to check in their baggage. A young priest with a expectant look on his face, a disheveled man with a hard face who looks to be on a five day bender, a fashionably dress older woman who is chatting away in a cheerful tone, a massive brute of a man with a fedora and tweet suit who is calmly listening to the woman with a smile on his face, a nervous older gentleman with wild graying hair and small round glasses, and a smiling young clean cut Arab.

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Two days ago...

"Very well then, first class tickets for all. I'll go make the arrangements. A few telegraphs and it should be taken care of," Miriam says brightly. She could use a telegraph as easily as a phone, and had the order placed in moments.

*The next few days she spent in packing, cramming her trunk full of nearly everything she owned. She sent off a quick telegraph to her son that she was going to a Spiritualist Society meeting in Washington, so he wouldn't worry if he couldn't get ahold of her. She told the Society she was going on a journey for Personal Revelations, and she would telegraph them when able. All of her scheduled readings were to go to other members until she returned. Another quick visit to the post office had all her mail held until further notice. No need to tempt fate. A note for the maid told her to close up the apartment and not bother with it until Miriam contacted her.*

Present day...

*Miriam had dressed well for the occasion, in one of her most fashionable dresses, a good hat, and a paste-gem hatpin that looked like a peacock. Her trunk had already been loaded onto the ship by porters, and she only carried her large handbag. Those close to her would notice that her gloved hands were very tight on the handles.*

"A rather lovely ship, don't you think?" Miriam says brightly, as if she didn't have a care in the world.

Maerdwyn

First Post
Jibril, dressed in his best (only) suit, straightens his bowtie and grins at Miriam's attitude - it feels good after the events of the last week, and Jibril finds he is eagerly anticipating a least a few days of relative quiet and comfort. He makes an exaggerated show of offering the older lady his arm, saying "Rather. Shall we embark, milady?" in as bad and as silly an imitation of an English accent colored by native Arabic pronunciation as any present have yet heard.

Vendetta

First Post
Jack's eyes scan the crowd, partly out of concern partly out of wonder. Concern for he fears that somewhere in the crowd is an enemy who has discovered their plan and is plotting against them even now, putting not only their own lives in danger, but those of everyone on the ship.

He didn't iron his jacket or pants, he hadn't sent them out for special cleaning... now he wished he had. Everyone looks so prim and propper. While he doubted his old style jacket would have fit in among the modern attire, he would like to have not stood out quite so much. He was amazed at the awe of the passengers and the liner that would soon be whisking them away. Jack thought everyone looked like they were going to church; a place he'd not been in a very long time. But with recent events, Jack made a promise to himself that at some point in the near future, a visit to a church just might be in order.

yangnome

First Post
Father O'Malley stood among the others, taking in the scene along with all the rest. He eventually spoke to no one in particular. "The last time I was boarding a boat to Europe from here, I was headed off to war. While I'm sure that this voyage wil be more pleasant than my previous one, my nerves about what lies before me are just as frayed."

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
"And last time I was at war, I got sick and had to go home. So what's that say?" William grins. "In any case, if something...untoward is going to happen, there's nothing we can do to prevent it. Just deal with it when it gets here. On the other hand...you're quite right, Miriam, this is an impressive ship."

Ashy

First Post
Charles rushes up, panting from having hussled up the block with several suitcases in tow. He looks much the same as he did before, in fact, you would almost bet that the fellow is wearing the same outfit! He looks as if he has not slept a wink, and is terribly redfaced. Puffing up to the assembled group, he hands his bags to a nearby porter, thanking him profusely. "Did I miss anything?", he asks, removing his glasses and wiping his brow with a pocket hankerchief.

Gomez

First Post
Everyone boards the grand and beautiful ship. The first class cabins are filled with rich decorations and fine woods. You stand out along the side of the ship, waving to well wishes as the ship departs. After you finish unpacking and a tour of the ship, you all meet at the first class lounge for a legal drink* and to discuss your plans for London.

mauretania1_02.jpg

* Once outside of US territorial waters the booze starts to flow!

Last edited:

Remove ads