[CoC d20] Flintlock & Tomahawk

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
Recruiting (12/17/2005): We've recently lost a player (taitzu52), and I'd like to recruit someone to take over the character (Abcott). Interested parties should check out the IC thread and look at the character in the RG thread. Also, if there's more than one interested party, I have a second NPC that's pretty much a blank slate for someone to take over. Only requirement is that his first name remains James. ;) Inquire within.

IC thread
RG thread

After a long hiatus, I'm back from the dead and looking to run a game again. In the Boston (Worcester) Game Day thread, I almost volunteered to run a CoC game set during King Philip's War, but backed off and mentioned that I might be willing to run it as a PbP. Well, I finally got a new job (start on the 11th of October), which has made my life far smoother and freed up some time. So I'd like to run the game here.

Some basic background -- King Philip's War was, effectively, a civil war, fought between the inhabitants of late 17th century New England. It's often portrayed as settlers vs. Indians, but this isn't quite correct, as the divisions were much more fluid and there were Indians on both sides of the conflict. I'd give you an overview of the general war and its causes, but that's beyond the scope of the adventure and my history's a bit rusty (as the time comes, I'll give more background and context, but for now this will have to hold, along with the timeline and quick intro I'm posting below).

A quick timeline of KP's War leading up to the beginning of the adventure:

* 8 June 1675: The Plymouth Colony executes two Indians loyal to Philip (Metacom), Tobias and Mattashunanamo, for killing John Sassamon, a praying Indian from Natick.
* 24 June 1675: Indians loyal to Philip attack Swansea, killing nine English Settlers.
* 26 June 1675: A full lunar eclipse occurs, which Philip’s Indians regard as a sign that they should go to war.
* June 1675: Indians expand their attacks to Rehoboth and Taunton; Wetamoo and the Pocasset Wampanoags join with Philip.
* June/July 1675: Indians attack Middleborough and Dartmouth.
* July 1675: Nipmucks (in central Massachusetts) attack Mendon.
* August 1675: Nipmucks attack Brookfield and Lancaster.
* 24 and 25 August 1675: Norwottocks ambush and kill nine English south of Deerfield. English subsequently suspect the (neutral) Agawams, who in turn join Philip.
* September 1675: Deerfield, Hadley, and Northfield attacked.
* 18 September 1675: Captain Lathrop and Samuel Moseley stumble into an ambush at Muddy Brook [Bloody Brook], losing seventy-one soldiers.
* September, October 1675: Most Connecticut River Indians have joined with Philip by now.
* 5 October 1675: Agawams and Nipmucks burn thirty houses, twenty-five barns, and a mill in Springfield.
* 19 October 1675: English repulse Indians at Hatfield.
* October 1675: Praying Indians in Massachusetts interred on Deer Island off the coast of Boston.
* November 1675: Nipmucks attack Christian Indian villages of Magunkaquog, Chabanakongkomun, and Hassanemesit.

[And, if this were a movie, I'd be starting it with the following words on a black screen...I love how it feels like the end of another movie, which is, on the whole, kind of spooky.]

Between the months of October and November 1675, constant Indian attacks reduced most of the villages in the Connecticut River Valley in Massachusetts to rubble. Deerfield, Brookfield, and Northfield would all be abandoned for at least ten years.

What I need, then, are five players. Bobitron had expressed some interest before, so I'd like to hold a slot for him until I hear otherwise.

Char Gen
* 5th level PCs.
* Please use the standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8, arrange as desired).
* The following skills are not available: Computer Use, Drive, Operate Heavy Machinery, Psychoanalysis, and Repair.
* The following feats are not available: Drive-by Attack, Gearhead, and Wealth.
* Characters receive (6 + Con Mod) hp for 1st level and (16 + 4(Con Mod)) for the remainder.
* Characters may be English settlers or Indians (either allied with Philip or with the settlers). Settlers may be from any trade appropriate to a large urban center appropriate to the period (the adventure starts in the Boston/Dedham area). Other concepts will be considered on a case by case basis (when I ran the adventure before, I had a French-Canadian fur trapper and an Italian sailor in the group).

I'm hoping to get this going by October 15th.

Best,
Nick

Last edited:

Bobitron

Explorer
Yes! Awesome! I'm really pleased to see this coming into play. :D

I'm in, absolutely. I'll work on a character over the next week.

Old Fezziwig

Great. :) So that's one...

As a side note, I should say that I'm not looking for absolute historical realism in the game. One, it's a CoC game, so the fact that there are Elder Gods and what not around would preclude that (regardless of whether the characters know about them or not). And, also, I'm not a historian, but a student of literature. My antecedents here for tone and setting would be closer to things like the short stories of Washington Irving or, especially, the works of Nathaniel Hawthorne. Jonathan Edwards ("Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" and what not) or Cotton Mather would be good non-fictition antecedents. So, although I'd like to think the game would be reasonably accurate in the historical sense, I wouldn't hold out for too much gritty realism. It's just beyond the purview of the game.

Nick

taitzu52

First Post
Despite an insanely full plate, I'm terribly interested in this game. Plese put me down as an alternate, as I'd like to watch how recruitment goes. Thanks!

TZ

Bobitron

Explorer
This weekend is proving busier than I expected. I'll get some basic work done on Sunday, but it might take me another week or so to get my guy done.

How do you feel about running this with only a couple players, Kajamba?

Old Fezziwig

Oh, and no worries on the timetables. I'm probably moving this weekend coming, so there's some flexibility.

Nick

DrZombie

First Post
MEEEE, pick MEEEE

I just love CoC, as the two unsuspecting victims, ehrm, fellow players who happen to appear in my game will soon find out.

I'd love to play an injun. Maybe the bodyguard/protector/friend of one of the other players? Or a shaman apprentice. Insanity here I come.

Remove ads