RJK'S Cairn of the Skeleton King

Year 4337 of Balozkinar's Corrected Commoners' Calendar.

7th Day pf Blackmoon, a warm day in late summer.

Somewhere at the border of a temperate forest, between the cities of Modron and Tegel. Evening

campfire.jpg

Before you, a burning campfire that looks as if it had been set very recently, maybe just a few minutes before your arrival.

Next to the campfire, the headless corpse of Valaju, your paladin companion.

Around you, your belongings and packaging, in total disorder.

No visible tracks.

No sign of life from your former prisoners.

ethandrew

First Post
The first sight of the fire through the trees warmed his heart, he could use the heat after fighting those trolls. It had been a pretty uneventful two-week journey to this point, the rush of the recent battle certainly worked in getting Rupert's adrenaline up, but the trek back to camp caused the initial spike to subside.

Upon entering the small clearing, his heart paused.

"I knew that Volaju was more flash than bang," Rupert muses to himself.

Being the first one to arrive, Rupert turns back to the others still in the woods and hollers, "We have a problem!"

Rupert moves to the fire, crouches low, looking for any footprints near the body or any other disturbances.

[sblock]Rupert will Search the body as well as the surrounding area at +18. Did you want us to roll using Invisible Castle, or will you take care of the rolls?[/sblock]

Nephtys

First Post
Maigreth bends a skeletal branch out of the way and follows Rupert towards the fire squinting at the strong light. Seeing the former paladin she sighs, And I thought he was headless before, ah but then I like them stupid. A waste of such a pretty boy. She sits down, out of the way so she won't disturb the tracks.
Looking at Rupert she asks "Find anything?"

Last edited:

Kafkonia

First Post
Hearing Rupert call to them, Timrek moves quickly through the woods to come upon the disaster that was once their campsite.

"Valaju," he says, kneeling beside his decapitated fellow paladin and lowering his head. "I'm sssorry. We ssshould never have left you alone. I ssshould have been here to fight by your ssside."

Standing up again, he turns to his companions as they arrive. "We mussst bury him properly," he says, "and find thossse resssponsssible. And our prisssonersss."

At first glance, you will find that nothing was taken from your belongings.

No footprints or any other marks can be found on the ground or among the scattered items.

The fireplace, though, wasn't destroyed...

ethandrew

First Post
"Nothing, I've found nothing," Rupert sighs. "It would appear that these two prisoners we've been toting are more than they appear."

Knowing that if there was anything to be found near the body, he would've found it by now, Rupert stands with his back to the body facing the fire. These days aren't particularly cold, but with the slight breeze blowing, the subtle warmth this fire provides is a welcome guest in the grim atmosphere.

Nephtys

First Post
"The soil is hard," Maigreth shrugs at the Paladin, "and he was a big man. Burying him will take time we do not have. I know it's hard to leave him, but we must try to track down our prisoners and every moment counts. It's what he would have wanted."
"Rupert is right, these are no common criminals we're talking about."

ethandrew

First Post
Nephtys said:
"Rupert is right, these are no common criminals we're talking about."

"And you are right as well. We have no time to bury the man, the trail has disappeared and these guys already have a good head-start." Rupert hides a sinister smile at his little joke.

Patting the wizard on the back of the thigh, he teases, "I bet you didn't see this mess happening."

Does somebody touch or move the paladin's corpse.

While you keep talking, unsure what to do, you suddenly notice that the sounds of wildlife around you suddenly cease.

Even the wind seems to hold its blowing...

You hear something rattling... Like chainmail... Or steps of boots on stones...

ethandrew

First Post
Ivid said:
Does somebody touch or move the paladin's corpse.

Rupert senses something off, straining his ears and eyes to give him more clues.

OOC:[sblock]Rupert would've when searching the body. Listen check of +10 and Spot of +8. I'm still unsure whether we're rolling ourselves or if you're taking care of it all.[/sblock]

Remove ads