Fight On! Magazine

tankschmidt

Explorer
Ho. Lee. Cow.

(mad dash to grab credit card...)

EDIT: Purchased. To be honest, all you had to do was put the words "four FULL adventures" and "Gabor Lux" in the same sentence.

OD&D Boards said:
Table of Contents:
Dedication to Gary Gygax………………………...…..1
The Devil’s in the Details (Kesher)….……………........3
The Swanmay (Calithena)…...………………………....4
Flexible Sorcery (Jeff Reints & co.)……………………4
The Ruined Monastery (James Maliszewski)……….…..7
The Tomb Complex of Ymmu M’Kursa (Gabor Lux).12
Setting up your Sandbox (Calithena)………...………..16
Puissant Priestly Powers (Santiago Luis Oría)………...19
Enchanted Holy Symbols (Jeff Reints)……………….20
Nature’s Nasty Node (Makofan)……………………..20
The Space Wizards (Paul Czege)……………………..23
Creepies & Crawlies (Andrew Reyes & Jeff Rients)…..26
In the Time of the Broken Kingdom (Iggy Ümlaut)….28
Artifacts, Adjuncts, and Oddments (various)……...…30

Index of Illustrations & Cartography: cover art by Andrew Reyes; Fight On! logo by Jeff Reints. Gary Gygax photo by Rhuvein. Interior art by Santiago Luis “Zulgyan” Oría (2, 30), Kesher (3), Andrew Reyes (5, 24, 26), James Maliszewski (8), Stefan Poag (11,14), Gabor Lux (12), Calithena (17), Tomás Banzas “Germille” Illa (22, 25), Coffee (29). We also used public domain art from http://karenswhimsy.com/ (19, 20) and http://www.wpclipart.com (27).

Is this the actual table of contents? If so, this is incredibly sweet.

Last edited:

tankschmidt said:
EDIT: Purchased. To be honest, all you had to do was put the words "four FULL adventures" and "Gabor Lux" in the same sentence.
I'm a big fan of his adventures, too.

Is this the actual table of contents? If so, this is incredibly sweet.
Yeah, that looks right. There's a preview on Lulu that includes the actual ToC, and it matches that.

trollwad

First Post
Does 30 pp for $6.38 seem pretty steep to other people? Isnt that about what I paid for Dungeon which had high quality illustrations, etc and was about 3x as long?

Flynn

First Post
trollwad said:
Does 30 pp for $6.38 seem pretty steep to other people? Isnt that about what I paid for Dungeon which had high quality illustrations, etc and was about 3x as long?

If you're getting hard copy through Lulu.com, then that price can make sense. The base cost for printing a 40 page book or magazine is about $5.33 or so, and then the guy needs to add a little on top of that just to make a little money himself. He's probably bringing home about 80 cents a copy that sells, after Lulu gets there 20%, all told.

Ultimately, there's little he can do to bring the cost much lower than that. You could see if he'll post it in PDF/soft copy, too. That would make it cheaper to pick up.

With Regards,
Flynn

Tewligan

First Post
trollwad said:
Do you seriously expect a small, VERY niche-market, print on demand magazine that just started up to be able to compare price- and content-wise to a corporate house magazine that was relatively widely distributed over 30 years with advertising? That's not a very reasonable expectation, I think...

trollwad

First Post
Ummm, yes actually. In the business world, they would call Dungeon, Paizo's pathfinder or Kobold Quarterly (<$10 for four sixty-eighty page pdfs), a competitive reference point. I love old school, I wish the new publication well, I just don't understand why its a decent value. Why wouldnt they sell old school modules as pdfs to cut the cost? Once they built a 1000 subscribers or so, then they could add a print product. I think this is the route wolfgang took with KQ.

In the business world, they would call Dungeon, Paizo's pathfinder or Kobold Quarterly...a competitive reference point.
FWIW, this is a brand-new thing, and it's a fanzine of gamer/hobbyist love (eeewww...), not really a business-oriented effort. You can check out the origins of the project, here. As far as value for the money, I think it's reasonable for a POD product serving a niche. The value, for me, comes from Fight On! delivering something that I can't get, elsewhere (i.e. the magazine's particular niche focus and feel).

I believe there are moves being made to distribute in other formats. For now, there's a blurb in the preview that mentions anyone not wanting to order through Lulu can email the publisher to make other arrangements, such as purchasing a PDF .

Last edited:

Remove ads