• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

+1 of existing spellcasting class??

moritheil

First Post
Corsair said:
Assuming that by "debatably" you actually mean "every source even vaguely related to WotC has said it does count towards it"...

Uh, hold on a minute. You're familiar with the example of Eldritch Knight, I take it?

srd said:
Spells per Day: From 2nd level on, when a new eldritch knight level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the level of eldritch knight to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

Now, note how there is no mention of spells known, only spells per day.

Further note how the character "does not, however, gain any other benefit" apart from spells per day.

At this point, you have two options - you can run EK as it is written in the rules, which is perfectly legitimate. You can also suggest that the writers probably forgot to include something about spells known, which is possible.

Either way, I assert that your statement above is inaccurate, as "every source even vaguely related to WotC has said it does count towards it" would imply that the SRD should say that EK grants spells known, and it does not.

farscapesg1

First Post
The adding of spells to a spellbook is debatable, though I am in the camp that believes that they should recieve them.

What really gets me is the DMs that think that the spells known only apply to the spontaneous casters (I've had one and quit the group because of it). If a prestige class grants additional spells known, and can be taken by both wizards and sorcerers, then it should apply equally. Wizards are already hampered with having to keep up spellbooks (usually multiple copies for safety reasons) and taking their spell aquisition abilities away is just as devistating as for a sorcerer, IMHO.

Azhrarn

First Post
my personal favorite question involving this is what happens if you have lvls of mystic theurge and use your +1 to existing lvl and select the theurge?
inefficient, but worrisome.

Jack Simth

First Post
Azhrarn said:
my personal favorite question involving this is what happens if you have lvls of mystic theurge and use your +1 to existing lvl and select the theurge?
Mystic Theurge is not, in and of itself, a spellcasting class, and so is ineligable for spell advancement by the +1 existing spellcasting class mechanism.

moritheil

First Post
Azhrarn said:

Not worrisome at all, for the reasons that Mr. Smith explained above. This is a very old question on the boards. (If you don't understand what he means, look at it this way: What is the class spell list for Mystic Theurge? There is none.)

Alchemist

First Post
They sum when figuring out effective caster level, so he would be considered a 7th level Wizard as far as his spellcasting is concerned. It doesn't matter what order you take your class levels in, you end up with the same result in the end.

Edit: Drr. Somehow I didn't see all those replies already covering this off. Colour me stupid today.

Remove ads