10 Campaign Settings: Which Ones Should I Get?

Which of these 10 campaign settings should I get?

• Accordlands (AEG)

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Codex Arcanis/Player's Guide to Arcanis (Paradigm Concepts)

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Codex of Erde (Troll Lord Games)

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Midnight: Second Edition (FFG)

Votes: 35 64.8%
  • Morningstar Fantasy Campaign Setting (Goodman Games)

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Nyambe: African Adventures (Atlas Games)

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Sláine: The Roleplaying Game of Celtic Heroes (Mongoose)

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Sovereign Stone Campaign Sourcebook [3.5 Edition] (White Silver Publishing)

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • The Hunt: Rise of Evil World Book (Mystic Eye Games)

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Twin Crowns: Age of Exploration Fantasy (Living Imagination)

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Poll closed .

MortonStromgal

First Post
Midnight, the my only complaints with it are that its too D&D not enough Middle Earth and that the Heroic paths ended up as a cool idea but I would rather not have the added complication. Overall though it and Kingdoms of Kalamar were my favorite 3e settings.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
If you don't have them, look for Dawnforge; or (can't remember the name) the "New World" (eg America) setting from Atlas, which I think is excellent & sort of "goes" with Nyambe; or the one-book settings from Green Ronin. Testament, & etc.

That would be Northern Crown, I believe. It's pretty cool.

(Perhaps not as cool as Rogue Games somewhat similarly themed COLONIAL GOTHIC, but that's not for d20).

--Erik

catsclaw227

First Post
Well, they weren't D&D elves for sure. For me that was a feature, though, not a bug. ;)

Oh, I totally agree. I dig the setting stuff. It was ripe with ideas and the ongoing conflicts were cool. The mechanics needed some work, but I rarely care about that stuff. I didn't need John Cooper level monster editing. :)

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Well, I havn't experiance with what is on the list, but I'd recommend Dawnforge and Iron Kingdoms to be added to it.

Dawnforge - First age of the world, and PCs play boosted races. A bit of a cross between Tolkien and Conan. It's a loose world that allows for hard and fast epic play.

Iron Kingdoms - quite the opposite of Dawnforge, IK is brutal full metal fantasy with some steampunk elements (How strong of a steampunk is up to the GM). The add-on book Libre Mechanika showcaese an alternative magical item crafting system which allows for some interesting results. Hard-to-find in print, although Paizo has PDF versions avalable.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
What are you looking for? Something that is completely fleshed out so that you don't have to do any of the work? Something painted in broad strokes that you can fill in your own details for? A popular setting? One that isn't so popular so you don't have to worry about canon lawyers pitching a fit about changes or mistakes? Vanilla? Weird?

Need more info.
Anything that is inspiring. Something with good rules mechanics that I can borrow for my homebrewed world. A setting with new, unique ideas that make you say, "I wish I'd thought of that."

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Oh, then you definatly want to check out my recs. Both have a bunch of flavor mechanics. For Dawnforge, the races have racial levels from 1 to 10, as the PCs are suppose to be paragons of their race (even more so than normal). My group has discussed the possibility of running a Dawnforge where we'd be playing future D&D deities. IK has Liber Mechanika for a new crafting system (although it can get hefty with the paperwork), Steam powered golums (Steamjacks), some interesting races and takes on races, and a bunch of other flavor mechanics.

Nifelhein

First Post
Dawnforge is a good setting if you are looking for heroic fantasy in the style of Greek/Roman heroics akin to Odissey, and just like Midnight it is a mine of ideas.

I voted Midnight but I know very few of the list, and I am a quite rabid fan of that setting. ;)

Remove ads