10 Campaign Settings: Which Ones Should I Get?

Which of these 10 campaign settings should I get?

• Accordlands (AEG)

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Codex Arcanis/Player's Guide to Arcanis (Paradigm Concepts)

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Codex of Erde (Troll Lord Games)

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Midnight: Second Edition (FFG)

Votes: 35 64.8%
  • Morningstar Fantasy Campaign Setting (Goodman Games)

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Nyambe: African Adventures (Atlas Games)

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Sláine: The Roleplaying Game of Celtic Heroes (Mongoose)

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Sovereign Stone Campaign Sourcebook [3.5 Edition] (White Silver Publishing)

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • The Hunt: Rise of Evil World Book (Mystic Eye Games)

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Twin Crowns: Age of Exploration Fantasy (Living Imagination)

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Poll closed .

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I just checked and Noble Knight has the Warlords books for about $14.95 each. They may have more reasonable international shipping rates than Troll and Toad.

S'mon

Legend
I voted Midnight - but if you actually want to use it for a campaign, you'll need some rules tweaks to empower the players so it doesn't feel like an exercise in futility. Regular 3e rules are too lethal.

Re Slaine - the actual setting book is called Land of the Young, I think. I don't see much point in buying the rules book, which is thin and short on setting info.

I bought Sovereign Stone, the best thing about it was the Larry Elmore art. The Mongol dwarves were just silly, and the blue civilised orcs and Japanese urban elves not much better. It felt very sub-Dragonlance and I gave it away.

Voadam

Legend
The trilogy of threads is complete! :D

Here are ten campaign setting books that I've been interested in for some time.

Warlords of the Accordlands: Master Codex (AEG)
Codex Arcanis/Player's Guide to Arcanis (Paradigm Concepts)
Codex of Erde (Troll Lord Games)
Midnight: Second Edition (FFG)
Morningstar Fantasy Campaign Setting (Goodman Games)
Nyambe: African Adventures (Atlas Games)
Sláine: The Roleplaying Game of Celtic Heroes (Mongoose)
Sovereign Stone Campaign Sourcebook [3.5 Edition] (White Silver Publishing)
The Hunt: Rise of Evil World Book (Mystic Eye Games)
Twin Crowns: Age of Exploration Fantasy (Living Imagination)

New Mechanics.

Master Codex is actually the player's book for the setting, the atlas is the campaign setting. The Codex has a lot of descriptions on the races and classes that flesh them out hugely though. I have the codex and not the atlas. It is mostly an alt PH giving most of the rules and such including tons of feats and spells and such. Plenty to raid for a homebrew.

Arcanis I recently got the 3.5 pdf but haven't read it yet. Neat thing about gods in the setting is the multiple aspects to each one, they can all have good and evil followers and have good and evil aspects to them.

Erde I got cheap ($4) but haven't read it yet, I think it has a new class in it.

Midnight I've got the 3.0 version and it has a lot of low magic options including a different magic system.

Morningstar I've got but haven't read it, I remember it sounding interesting but I never got around to reading it. Something about magic areas in the world.

Nyambe, ton of 3.0 crunch. Alt classes, feats that handle uncanny dodge and such, and a level based dodge bonus for the new classes and a corresponding feat for normal D&D classes to boost ACs in the hot armor inappropriate jungle setting. Lots of neat stuff like secret Ancient orc empire and serpent people stuff, Orisha spirits instead of gods, etc.

Slaine, an alt D&D system, their magic is very different from vancian. Based on the Celtic warrior comic. I'm interested in this as well but don't have it.

Soereign Stone, a different elemental non vancian magic system as well as an archer class. There is both a 3.0 (Sovereign Press) and 3.5 (White Silver Publishing) version of the game. The 3.0 verision has a neat separate bestiary book with Andy Hopp art and almost entirely beasties with no magic.

Hunt Rise of Evil, another I'm interested in picking up as well, a dark fantasy setting set in a pseudo dream realm and has some mechanics for dealing with the dreamers impact on the world. Plus I think a witch class. 3.0.

Twin Crowns is a 3.0 earth analogueish type setting with fantasy real world counterparts (Mostly european like Scottish, Russian, etc. but also Egyptian, Japanese, and others) Lots of mechanics to raid. Magic they have the best d20 ritual system out there IMO with fantastically flavorful big power rituals, later expanded in other books. Examples are things like making an instant fort, which their new world colonies use. Also pistols and cannons for ships. Most of their gods have dual aspects like the war gods' lawful tactician and chaotic berserker sides. Also a catfolk race.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I voted Midnight - but if you actually want to use it for a campaign, you'll need some rules tweaks to empower the players so it doesn't feel like an exercise in futility. Regular 3e rules are too lethal.

Midnight I've got the 3.0 version and it has a lot of low magic options including a different magic system.
I totally forgot that the same store that had the Warlords of the Accordlands books also had Midnight: 2nd Edition book. (I'm still not sold on it... besides I was hunting for Necromancer Games adventures that day.) ;)

Remove ads