10 Campaign Settings: Which Ones Should I Get?

Which of these 10 campaign settings should I get?

• Accordlands (AEG)

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Codex Arcanis/Player's Guide to Arcanis (Paradigm Concepts)

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Codex of Erde (Troll Lord Games)

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Midnight: Second Edition (FFG)

Votes: 35 64.8%
  • Morningstar Fantasy Campaign Setting (Goodman Games)

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Nyambe: African Adventures (Atlas Games)

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Sláine: The Roleplaying Game of Celtic Heroes (Mongoose)

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Sovereign Stone Campaign Sourcebook [3.5 Edition] (White Silver Publishing)

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • The Hunt: Rise of Evil World Book (Mystic Eye Games)

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Twin Crowns: Age of Exploration Fantasy (Living Imagination)

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Poll closed .

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
If you don't have them, look for Dawnforge...

For Dawnforge, the races have racial levels from 1 to 10, as the PCs are suppose to be paragons of their race (even more so than normal). My group has discussed the possibility of running a Dawnforge where we'd be playing future D&D deities.

Dawnforge is a good setting if you are looking for heroic fantasy in the style of Greek/Roman heroics akin to Odissey, and just like Midnight it is a mine of ideas.
:-S

Uhm, I had Dawnforge at one point but I got rid of it because I just couldn't get into it. :blush: That's why I haven't gone for Midnight because I know some of the mechanics are similar.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OK.... :)

First I need to ask if this list is generated because these are some settings you are missing, or settings you have heard are cool? In the former case I can assume you have some of the other great 3PP 3.x settings like Oathbound or Iron Kingdoms. Otherwise, in the latter case, I might persuade you to adding a couple to your list.
I don't have any of these setting books but I've been considering them off and on since they were released. I think REALLY HARD before I buy a campaign setting book. This is because I have my own homebrewed world and more often than not I'm buying books to fit into that setting.

However, I really like to read campaign setting books too. (I'm really into Scarred Lands right now.)

I know all about Oathbound and Iron Kingdoms and I even had the main Oathbound book at one point. I got rid of it because I got frustrated with trying to adapt it into my own cosmology. I tried really hard but it just didn't feel like it fit. I wish I'd hung on to it because it was, indeed, a great setting.

As for Iron Kingdoms, if I can find the main world book you can bet I'll be buying it. I already have 3.5 version of the Monsternomicon. :cool:

Are you eliciting suggestions for other settings as well?
Sure, go ahead, but you should know that I'm fairly d20 system savvy (some would say obsessed). Plus ,you should take a look at my RPG collection list just so you can see what I already have...

http://www.enworld.org/forum/world-kulan/254279-knightfalls-roleplaying-game-collection-list.html

Cheers!

KF

FWIW, Troll and Toad is still selling copies of the Warlords of the Accordlands books in like new condition for pennies on the dollar:

Core Book
Campaign Adventure Book
Monsters and Lairs
World Atlas

Really, at those prices, you can't afford to pass it up. It's a really unique game setting. The Campaign Adventure book is a 1-20 adventure path, BTW.

Son of a...

I jumped on that, and they have Morningstar on special as well, and a d20 aerial adventures sourcebook I've been thinking about for a while.

But then they had the brass face to charge me a minimum $90 postage for five books.

Take a long walk off a short pier, Troll and Toad. Steve Jackson Games can mail books to Australia at reasonable postage rates, I'll never know why these guys (and Paizo for that matter) can't...

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Son of a...

I jumped on that, and they have Morningstar on special as well, and a d20 aerial adventures sourcebook I've been thinking about for a while.

But then they had the brass face to charge me a minimum $90 postage for five books.

Take a long walk off a short pier, Troll and Toad. Steve Jackson Games can mail books to Australia at reasonable postage rates, I'll never know why these guys (and Paizo for that matter) can't...

Ah. . . overseas shipping. Yeah, that sucks, unfortunately it's not all that uncommon (Lulu catches a lot of flack for their shipping prices to certain parts of the world, as well). Although I guess it's not particularly good news for you, their US shipping prices are dirt cheap.

catsclaw227

First Post
Ah. . . overseas shipping. Yeah, that sucks, unfortunately it's not all that uncommon (Lulu catches a lot of flack for their shipping prices to certain parts of the world, as well). Although I guess it's not particularly good news for you, their US shipping prices are dirt cheap.

Those Accordlands books are fat too. Each one is thicker than almost any WOTC book of the time. I imagine their weight has a lot to do with this crazy shipping cost.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Those Accordlands books are fat too. Each one is thicker than almost any WOTC book of the time. I imagine their weight has a lot to do with this crazy shipping cost.
I just discovered that a FLGS has the Master Codex book for $35 (CAN). However, I'm still not sure.

The store also had the following: Codex Arcanis (softcover, 3 copies), Morningstar, Nyambe, and Twin Crowns.

Last edited:

Ourph

First Post
No, Troll & Toad has a reputation for screwing people on shipping. It's their right to charge what they want, but there is no question that they regularly overcharge for shipping.

catsclaw227

First Post
No, Troll & Toad has a reputation for screwing people on shipping. It's their right to charge what they want, but there is no question that they regularly overcharge for shipping.

Sounds like a veiled process of keeping cash flow up while posting low-ball prices on products. Or maybe they are offsetting a distribution cost of theirs.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock

:confused: They've never overcharged me for shipping and I've ordered from them quite a bit. I think the most I've ever paid for shipping was around $25-$35 for Priority Mail, and that was due to weight of the books. If memory serves correctly that order was for one or two sets of the Warlords of the Accordlands books, several Tri-Stat books (e.g., The Authority RPG, Silver Age Sentinels, etc), and some Atlas Games Penumbra books. All hardcovers, of course.

[Edit: I just checked. Media Mail shipping for all of the Warlords books to my address is $10.95 in the US, which sounds about right for weight. UPS ground is $13.76. Prices don't seem to jump significantly until you start getting into specialized mail services (e.g., Priority Mail, Express Mail, FedEx Overnight, etc).]

Last edited:

Remove ads