10 Campaign Settings: Which Ones Should I Get?

Which of these 10 campaign settings should I get?

• Accordlands (AEG)

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Codex Arcanis/Player's Guide to Arcanis (Paradigm Concepts)

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Codex of Erde (Troll Lord Games)

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Midnight: Second Edition (FFG)

Votes: 35 64.8%
  • Morningstar Fantasy Campaign Setting (Goodman Games)

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Nyambe: African Adventures (Atlas Games)

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Sláine: The Roleplaying Game of Celtic Heroes (Mongoose)

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Sovereign Stone Campaign Sourcebook [3.5 Edition] (White Silver Publishing)

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • The Hunt: Rise of Evil World Book (Mystic Eye Games)

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Twin Crowns: Age of Exploration Fantasy (Living Imagination)

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Poll closed .

Mercurius

Legend
Re: Warlord of the Accordlands - I ordered the World Atlas some months ago from Troll and Toad to add to my setting collection, but was irked to find out that the actual world map is in the Core Book. In other words, their setting book doesn't even have a map of the setting, just a map of a small area.

Morningstar is very similar to Dawnforge, although a slight notch down in production value. Both were top ten finalists in the WotC setting search that produced Eberron.

As for Troll and Toad's international charges, they probably charge double the actual cost, which can be pretty steep on its own. I sent a 3E Forgotten Realms book to Europe and it cost $18 for shipping--and that was one, relatively light, book.

catsclaw227

First Post
Re: Warlord of the Accordlands - I ordered the World Atlas some months ago from Troll and Toad to add to my setting collection, but was irked to find out that the actual world map is in the Core Book. In other words, their setting book doesn't even have a map of the setting, just a map of a small area.
Yea, that does suck. They really should be bought as a set, as they all tie to each other quite a bit. I bought the set from AEG in a spring cleaning sale for only $5 each book a year or two ago.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I sent a 3E Forgotten Realms book to Europe and it cost $18 for shipping--and that was one, relatively light, book.

Yeah, I sent some Warhammer minis to Europe early last Spring and took a beating on shipping via UPS (it ended up being something like $80 to ship the lot of them). Overseas/international shipping can be expensive.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Yea, that does suck. They really should be bought as a set, as they all tie to each other quite a bit. I bought the set from AEG in a spring cleaning sale for only $5 each book a year or two ago.

I think the only ones you really need for a complete picture of the setting are the Master Codex and the world guide, though the monsters book and the adventure path come in handy.

:confused: They've never overcharged me for shipping and I've ordered from them quite a bit. I think the most I've ever paid for shipping was around $25-$35 for Priority Mail, and that was due to weight of the books. If memory serves correctly that order was for one or two sets of the Warlords of the Accordlands books, several Tri-Stat books (e.g., The Authority RPG, Silver Age Sentinels, etc), and some Atlas Games Penumbra books. All hardcovers, of course.

[Edit: I just checked. Media Mail shipping for all of the Warlords books to my address is $10.95 in the US, which sounds about right for weight. UPS ground is $13.76. Prices don't seem to jump significantly until you start getting into specialized mail services (e.g., Priority Mail, Express Mail, FedEx Overnight, etc).]

Well, for my little selection it was $90 on the cheapest possibility - Fedex international economy - and my brain shut down in shock before looking at the pricier options.

I don't really doubt that Troll & Toad are just charging what it costs them, postage-wise. Paizo too - I had a similar issue with them a while back. It's just getting to the point where I simply can't afford to buy from US games suppliers any more. Steve Jackson is, as I mentioned earlier, an exception. They have an option called Standard International Mail, which means Fedex takes the package to the destination country and then just drops it in regular postal system from there. Far, faaaar cheaper, and I don't know why other mail order companies don't offer the option.

(Probably because there's no package tracking, and that presents problems when it comes to dealing with customer complaints re: orders that don't arrive etc, just to answer my own question)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Morningstar is very similar to Dawnforge, although a slight notch down in production value. Both were top ten finalists in the WotC setting search that produced Eberron.
I'm aware of Morningstar's legacy as a top ten finalist, which is why I'm interested in it. I also know that is has similarities to Dawnforge, which is why I haven't bought it yet. I was disappointed with Dawnforge; however, that was mainly due to mechanics.

How are the mechanics of Morningstar different from standard v.3.x/d20? Plus, is it v.3.0 or v.3.5?

Nellisir

Hero
Actually, you know what? I've been thinking of getting rid of a lot of my d20 stuff. I've got Accordlands (everything but the adventure book), Arcanis, Morningstar, and Nyambe. I'm not sure if I have the Slaine core book or just some supplements. I'm not going to give them all away for free, but I might come close. They're not doing anyone any good sitting in a box in my attic.

I've got Midnight, but it's 1st edition, not 2nd. I'm not giving up Dawnforge yet, or Northern Crown (thanks Erik!).

I don't check ENWorld regularly, so drop me an email at nellisir at gmail dot com. I can check and see what else I have that you might consider.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Dammit. Because of this thread, I was compelled to re-order the Accordlands books (including extra copies of the Master Codex). I guess I know what setting will serve as my Trailblazer testbed! :D

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Dammit. Because of this thread, I was compelled to re-order the Accordlands books (including extra copies of the Master Codex). I guess I know what setting will serve as my Trailblazer testbed! :D
I recently discovered that a local game store has the three main books; however, I'd likely have to pay full price for them. I'm not likely to do that. :erm:

Remove ads