D&D 5E 15 Petty Reasons I Won't Buy 5e

Problem with the Warlord is that conceptually in the narrative it really is just everything the Fighter wants to be. I think the Fighter should be replaced with the Warlord and be given customization options that allows for a more Fighter-esque Warlord or a more traditional Warlord.
Absolutely agreed! Was thrilled that the MCDM RPG is doing that with the Tactician.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
OK I figure if I am going to necromance this thread back to lurching life, I might as well offer up some petty reasons:

1. I won't buy the 2024 books because the halfling artwork is bound to be better than the 2014 books and I don't want people playing more halflings because they see better artwork for them;
2. I won't buy the 2024 books because the MM is bound to have more options for some monsters and that takes away my ability as a DM to look more creative by my inventing those additional options for the monsters;
3. I won't buy the 2024 books because they probably still won't have morale rules for monsters;
4. I won't buy the 2024 books because then I'd need to re-optimize all my overpowered builds;
5. I won't buy the 2024 books because I prefer the smell of my old books to new ones;
6. I won't buy the 2024 books because I'd need to make room on my D&D bookshelf for more books and there is a vague possibility I will some day need that Book of Erotic Fantasy so I obviously can't move that off my shelf to make room;
7. I won't buy the 2024 books because the new game is sure to still not have a Warlord class in it;
8. I won't buy the 2024 books because there still won't be enough gnome love in this edition;
9. I won't buy the 2024 books because the game still won't have a critical fumble chart;
10. I won't buy the 2024 books because too many fanboys, fangirls, and fanpeople in general want me to buy them;
11. I won't buy the 2024 books because Greyhawk still won't be the default setting and that's just an offense against St. Culthbert;
12. I won't buy the 2024 books because saves versus ability scores is stupid compared to a save vs Rods, Staves and Wands;
13. I won't buy the 2024 books because they still don't have Prestige Classes in these books;
14. I won't buy the 2024 books because they're not coming with a set of dice and crayon for me to color in the numbers;
15. I won't buy the 2024 books because how many times am I going to be forced at gunpoint at my home to buy the same books over and over again!!!!!!!!!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Well, now they're abjurations! They ward against negative chi, or something...
Yeah apperently it makes sense to a lot of people who don’t think in D&D for healing and warding spells to be the same school, which boggles my school-hating mind.

In a magic as skills system I would never put them together.

doctorbadwolf

It imagined classes that were dripping with flavor, that were perhaps a bit quirky but tying mechanics and theme closely together, with different classes having truly distinct ways of accessing their power, even if the powers themselves were not necessarily distinct
It also restricted who those classes could be, and thus would have required class after class or just less diversity of options. So, as much as I liked the Next Warlock, I wasn’t surprised or perturbed when it didn’t survive playtesting.
8. I won't buy the 2024 books because there still won't be enough gnome love in this edition;
Oof. Yeah. I really hope they don’t turn the forest gnome ability to speak with critters into a spell they can cast a couple times. The two are completely different fictions.
"Don't think"?
“Don’t think in D&D”.

You know like, “don’t think in math” or “don’t think in metaphors”.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Oof. Yeah. I really hope they don’t turn the forest gnome ability to speak with critters into a spell they can cast a couple times. The two are completely different fictions.
I was joking but taking it more seriously, I'd be happier if they expanded the ability to just being able to cast speak with animals at will, or at least with all mammals. I don't think it will break anything, and it will really give the gnome a lot more of an interesting niche in the game.

doctorbadwolf

I was joking but taking it more seriously, I'd be happier if they expanded the ability to just being able to cast speak with animals at will, or at least with all mammals. I don't think it will break anything, and it will really give the gnome a lot more of an interesting niche in the game.
I’d prefer as is to all mammals. Don’t take away my birds, man!

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
It also restricted who those classes could be, and thus would have required class after class or just less diversity of options. So, as much as I liked the Next Warlock, I wasn’t surprised or perturbed when it didn’t survive playtesting.
I only wish they had kept trying to work out warlocks and sorcerers instead of trying to get rid of them in favor of a supermage wizard.

Remove ads