• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1936 - Pulp Heroes

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
No hurries Doc. You may join in later 'cause in this particular game it's not important to already know everyone. You can get pulled to the same adventure in another situation. Just make your character and let me know when you're ready and I'll see where you can come in. ;)

Mirth

Explorer
Blackrat said:
Yeah I have UA and it's ok. Very good for an agent. Military Intelligence Black ops (MIB if you didn't already figure it out :D ) is exactly what shadow-hunters are if I remember correctly. (I'm once again away from my books so I have to check it later.)
But yeah, they investigate occult and and unnatural incidents. But during this era they aren't yet your normal men-in-black, they are more like the frontier marshals.

When I realized that Frontier Marshal took a minimum of 8 feats, I had a feeling we would never get there, so I changed strategies. MIB or an early version of Hellboy's BPRD is what I was thinking...

DrZombie

First Post
Blackrat said:
No hurries Doc. You may join in later 'cause in this particular game it's not important to already know everyone. You can get pulled to the same adventure in another situation. Just make your character and let me know when you're ready and I'll see where you can come in. ;)

Well, as a rather vague concept there's allways Lord Flashhart but perhaps slightly less over the top (I hope you seppies can understand the slang)

DrZombie

First Post
very messy temp charsheet

[sblock]
John McCain
Human Male Fast Hero 3 / Gunslinger 2

Representing DrZombie

Strength 8 (-1)
Dexterity 17 (+3)
Constitution 12 (+1)
Intelligence 16 (+3)
Wisdom 10 (+0)
Charisma 14 (+2)
Size: Medium
Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 160 lb
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blond
Skin: Light

Talents:

Evasion
Uncanny Dodge 1

Total Hit Points: 33

Speed: 30 feet

Armor Class: 19 = 10 +1 [leather jacket] + 5 [class] +3 [dexterity]

Touch AC: 18
Flat-footed: 19 [uncanny dodge]

Initiative modifier: +3 = +3 [dexterity]

Fortitude save: +2 = 1 [base] +1 [constitution]
Reflex save: +7 = 4 [base] +3 [dexterity]
Will save: +3 = 3 [base]

Attack (handheld): +2 = 3 [base] -1 [strength]
Attack (missile): +6 = 3 [base] +3 [dexterity]
Grapple check: +2 = 3 [base] -1 [strength]

Action points: 33 (lifetime)

Light load:26 lb. or less
Medium load:27-53 lb.
Heavy load:54-80 lb.
Lift over head:80 lb.
Lift off ground:160 lb.
Push or drag:400 lb.

Walther PPK autoloader [2d4, crit 20, range incr 30 ft., 1 lb, ballistic, semi-automatic]
Leather jacket [light; +1 AC; max dex +8; check penalty 0; 4 lb.]

Military (starting occupation)
Navigate
Pilot

Feats:
Point Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Simple Weapon Proficiency [free]
Aircraft Operation x1
Personal Firearms Proficiency
Surface Vehicle Operation x1

Mutations:

Skill Name Key Ability Skill Modifier = Ability Modifier + Ranks + Misc.Modifier
Balance Dex* 11 = +3 +6 +2 [tumble]
Bluff Cha 7 = +2 +5
Climb Str* -1 = -1
Concentr Con 1 = +1
Craft (Struc) Int 3 = +3
Diplomacy Cha 4 = +2 +2 [bluff]
Disguise Cha 2 = +2
Drive Dex* 7 = +3 +4
Esc Artist Dex* 3 = +3
Forgery Int 3 = +3
Gamble Wis 4 = +0 +4
Gath Info Cha 2 = +2
Hide Dex* 7 = +3 +4
Intimidate Cha 8 = +2 +4 +2 [bluff]
Jump Str* 1 = -1 +2 [tumble]
Know(streetwise) Int 6 = +3 +3
Listen Wis 0 = +0
Move Silently Dex* 7 = +3 +4
Navigate Int 7 = +3 +4
Pilot Dex* 12 = +3 +8 +1 [Military]
Research Int 3 = +3
Ride Dex 3 = +3
Search Int 3 = +3
Sense Motive Wis 0 = +0
Sleight of Hand Dex* 11 = +3 +6 +2 [bluff]
Spot Wis 6 = +0 +6
Survival Wis 0 = +0
Swim Str** -1 = -1
Treat Injury Wis 0 = +0
Tumble Dex* 9 = +3 +6

* = check penalty for wearing armor

Bluff >=5 ranks gives +2 on disguise checks to act in character.

Human

Extra feat at first level (already included)
Four extra skill points at first level (already included)
One extra skill point at each additional level (already included)

Gunslinger

Close Combat Shot (level 1)
Weapon focus (level 2, not listed as a feat)

Weapon:

John McCain's Equipment:

John McCain's Languages:

John McCain's Allegiance(s):

If you are using the wealth system from the core rulebook, roll 2d4 and add +1 (Military).

More about John McCain:

[/sblock]

Last edited:

DrZombie

First Post
Charsheet is done.

John McCain is a brit who joined the RAF at the tender age of 16 in 1916. He finished training in 1917 and fought in the last year of the great war. He drifted allover the world after the war, mostly as a private flyer, getting involved in all kinds of unsavory buisiness. He loses money almost as fast as he gains it, gambling away small or large fortunes at the big tables of Monte Carlo or in the backstreets of Shanghai. He has used hus guns on more then one occasion when his quick wits and big mouth couldn't keep him out of trouble.

Blackrat, feel free to use/abuse this background in any way you wish. As posessions I only have his gun and a leather jacket. You can place him in any environment at any wealth level. As languages I suggest English, french, Chinese and German, but feel free to changeit. He could be encountered in New York, New Delhi or in the deepest blackest prison-hell-hole in Africa.

Contact me at maarten dot kuppers at gmail dot com if you want to brief something the other players aren't allowed to know.

Yeah, I know, I'm a masochist.

Blackrat

Looks good. You may post it in the Rogues gallery. His wealth will be 11. From the table 7.2 in core book with errata, 5th level characters have wealth of 10 + occupation + profession ranks. Languages are good too eventhough the core of D20-modern doesn't allow bonus-languages by int, but look following.

Blackrat

Everyone. I have decided that since this is pulp world you may have more languages than RAW. So eventhough core doesn't allow bonus languages by int modifier, I do. Some of you actually already have used this, maybe not knowing that D20 modern doesn't use the same system in this case as D&D :) . But those of you who haven't, pick bonus languages equalling to your Int-modifier.

James Heard

Explorer
I think I'm going to drop out of this one. I'm just not feeling the rather normal vibe of my character mixing well with the other more out there concepts. I hope everyone has a great game!

Blackrat

Sorry to hear it James.

I'll be away a couple of days, probably without any means to post. I'll try get the first ingame post up before I leave though. :)

Remove ads