• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1E DMG vs. 3E DMG vs. 4E DMG

JohnBiles

First Post
That said, I still haven't seen a DMG that's really what I'd want it to be. I would like detailed monster, class, spell, feat, and magic item creation rules, with both a 'quick and dirty' creation method one, and a full mathematical analysis version so that if I really want to go into the inner workings of the system and tweak or expand, I can balance it properly against the existing material.

The DMG for 4E is very good for monster creation as it has stuff to help you modify pre-existing monsters easily, a fairly easy to use template system for modifying monsters to cast them in various kinds of roles (like military commanders or disciples of dark gods, etc), and it lays out the fundamental math for building your own monsters with good guidelines.

(And a lot of encounter design advice for how different kinds of monsters tend to interact so as to build effective encounters with said monsters).

Carnivorous_Bean

First Post
The DMG for 4E is very good for monster creation as it has stuff to help you modify pre-existing monsters easily, a fairly easy to use template system for modifying monsters to cast them in various kinds of roles (like military commanders or disciples of dark gods, etc), and it lays out the fundamental math for building your own monsters with good guidelines.

(And a lot of encounter design advice for how different kinds of monsters tend to interact so as to build effective encounters with said monsters).

Quite true .... as long as you use the 4th edition rules, of course. ;)

Remove ads