• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2 Questions: The Best 4e Modules and What Edition do You Suggest?

kevtar

First Post
Hello all,

Our group recently finished its first 4e campaign. We've played solidly since the release of 4e and defeated Orcus and Tiamat as the capstone of our campaign last month. That group has since dissolved as college, life, and other things take their toll. There is a possibility of a new group getting together, but I'm not sure what direction to take in terms of D&D.

I was looking through all of my books and was kicking around the idea of running a non-4e game, but I haven't decided on what edition.

So... what edition would you suggest? 1st, 2nd, 3.5, or 4th?

Also, if we decide to head back into 4e territory, apart from the Keep on the Shadowfell series, what do you think are the best published adventures?

Cheers

gribble

Explorer
Also, if we decide to head back into 4e territory, apart from the Keep on the Shadowfell series, what do you think are the best published adventures?
The best WotC adventures for 4e that I've played/read are the introductory adventure from the Eberron CG and Seekers of the Ashen Crown. While neither are really stellar, they're both streets better than any of the H/P modules. They have a lot of variety in encounters (not just all combat) and they capture the feel of Eberron nicely.

I'd highly recommend 4e Eberron. The rules seem to work much better for the Eberron setting than generic fantasy, IMO (and much better than the 3e ruleset did for Eberron)

Last edited:

AllisterH

First Post
It all depends on what you feel comfortable with really.

If you have a group, just ask them what they like to play and go with it since you don't have a personal preference.

kevtar

First Post
It all depends on what you feel comfortable with really.

If you have a group, just ask them what they like to play and go with it since you don't have a personal preference.

I put out some feelers with my sons, who are two of the members of the group (16 & 18 yrs old) and one wants to play 4e, or will settle for 3.5, and the other wants to play 1st edition because it's something "new," lol.

My lack of preference is probably part of the problem, but I just can't decide - although the prospect of weapon speed, AC, and AC Types, etc... from 1st ed is influencing my decision a bit, lol. In any case, we will have some D&D neophytes joining us, and I think 1st edition might be a little bit too much for introducing two or three players to the game, not to mention that it's a system that's 30ish yrs old.

Wik

First Post
I saw the thread title, and said "Oh, crap...". I bet edition wars in 3 pages.

Personally, try 2nd edition. It's cleaned up a bit from 1e, though it has it's own holes. And I think it's hilarious that your son thinks of it as something "new". Cracks me up.

I'd also consider checking out d6 fantasy. It's a pretty rules-light system, though the rulebook may make you think otherwise (the new West End Games books are horribly written! Annoys the hell out of me). It's very much a toolbox game, and worth checking out.

Wycen

Explorer
Well, if you go with 3.5 you have consistency as far as dice/skills/stats; up always being better.

But 1st edition has something that may work better for newbies. That is it leaves more up to your decision, as far as ability or skill checks (skills aren't even obligatory in 1E). And you can always skip weapon speeds and other stuff.

Plus, if you go with the older edition, you have plenty of classic adventures to choose from. You can go all the way from Hommlett to Slavelords to the Underdark.

kevtar

First Post
Plus, if you go with the older edition, you have plenty of classic adventures to choose from. You can go all the way from Hommlett to Slavelords to the Underdark.

That's true, and that's one thing I was considering. I still have all of the 1st editions adventures, and even though we've played conversions in 3.5 (White Plume, Tjoscanth), it would be cool to play the originals.

Engilbrand

First Post
I'm surprised that nobody has asked how the campaign went.
How'd the campaign go? Did everyone understand and have fun with the rules? Was it mostly a hack and slash game, or was there a lot of roleplaying?
I'm running a 4e Eberron game for 2 guys. I let them decide everything. They made their characters together and gave me an idea of what they wanted to focus on. Everything has come from their ideas. Most things have come up on a session by session basis. It's a very freeing way to do things. I recommend it.

Remove ads