2 Questions

Zen

First Post
Hello all!

Here are two situations that came up in a recent game. Any light you could shine on these matters via RAW would be helpful.

1. Can a creature charge through squares occupied by a swarm and suffer no effects, assuming that the charge begins and ends in squares not occupied by the swarm? I know swarms cannot make Attacks of Opportunity.

2. Does uncanny dodge trump a succesful feint ?

Uncanny dodge prevents the rogue (or barbarian) from being flatfooted. denies the bonus usually enjoyed by invisible attackers and allows the rogue to make attacks of opportunity during a surprise round.

A successful feint denies the target any dex bonus --the text of feint does not say 'renders the target flatfooted', which allows room for 'flat-footed' and 'denied dex bonus' to be two different conditions. I know there will be lots of options on this second one; I'm wondering if this has been specifically addressed in any official text.

Thanks in advance,

--Z

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Zen said:
Hello all!

Here are two situations that came up in a recent game. Any light you could shine on these matters via RAW would be helpful.

1. Can a creature charge through squares occupied by a swarm and suffer no effects, assuming that the charge begins and ends in squares not occupied by the swarm? I know swarms cannot make Attacks of Opportunity.

2. Does uncanny dodge trump a succesful feint ?

Uncanny dodge prevents the rogue (or barbarian) from being flatfooted. denies the bonus usually enjoyed by invisible attackers and allows the rogue to make attacks of opportunity during a surprise round.

A successful feint denies the target any dex bonus --the text of feint does not say 'renders the target flatfooted', which allows room for 'flat-footed' and 'denied dex bonus' to be two different conditions. I know there will be lots of options on this second one; I'm wondering if this has been specifically addressed in any official text.

1) A creature cannot charge through a location occupied by another creature.

2) Flatfooted is not the same as denied Dex bonus. But, Uncanny Dodge prevents a Rogue from losing his Dex bonus. Uncanny Dodge trumps Feint. They just did not list all conditions where that could occur.

Infiniti2000

First Post
KarinsDad said:
2) Flatfooted is not the same as denied Dex bonus. But, Uncanny Dodge prevents a Rogue from losing his Dex bonus. Uncanny Dodge trumps Feint. They just did not list all conditions where that could occur.
Actually, Uncanny dodge does not prevent a rogue from losing his Dex bonus as a general case. Specifically: "Starting at 4th level, a rogue can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized." Note that the Rogue only retains his Dex bonus if he (she, actually) is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. A successful feint is neither of those things.

Zen

First Post
Got it. Fient no worky against uncanny dodge.

No charge through a swarm, but a creature can move through a space occupied by one with no impediment provided that they do not finish the move in the space occupied by the swarm.

Thanks!

--Z

Coredump

Explorer
Infiniti2000 said:
Specifically: "Starting at 4th level, a rogue can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker.
It depends on how you read the above.

If you read it meaning "She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) when she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker" or....

If you read it meaning "She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC. Some examples are if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker."

To me, it is not entirely clear which one it is supposed to be. The two cases listed might be an exhaustive list, or it might just be clarifying two questionable situations.

So, you get to decide. YAY! :)

Infiniti2000

First Post
?

I don't read it as "some examples..." because it obviously does not say "some examples..." It's not even possible to read it that way because the two conditions in which a rogue retains his Dex bonus are explicitly listed.

Peter Gibbons

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
?

I don't read it as "some examples..." because it obviously does not say "some examples..." It's not even possible to read it that way because the two conditions in which a rogue retains his Dex bonus are explicitly listed.
Yes, precisely so. I don't understand why there is any confusion about this.

glass

(he, him)
Coredump said:
To me, it is not entirely clear which one it is supposed to be. The two cases listed might be an exhaustive list, or it might just be clarifying two questionable situations.
I agree it's not a clear as it might be, but I think I2K's reading is the most straigt forward.

glass.

Stalker0

Legend
The tricky words are "even if" which could imply there is more than is being stated.

It says you retain your dex bonus to AC "even if" you are flatfooted.

So you could read it as you retain your dex bonus...even if you experience these extraordinary conditions like being flatfooted or struck by an invisible attacker.

Now personally I play it as infinity mentioned, but I do understand its not clear as glass.

Remove ads