2005 January-April Wizards products

reanjr

First Post
sellars said:
hmm.. I'm somewhat looking forward to this one, at least I like the title :D

speculations about it's contents?

Netheril?

And that other one... I don't know... I don't play FR...

Perun

Mushroom
sellars said:
hmm.. I'm somewhat looking forward to this one, at least I like the title :D

speculations about it's contents?
It's probably either going to be another book on the fallen realms from the ages past (but, IIRC, that's not very likely. I think one of the designers said they won't be revisiting fallen ancient empires for the foreseeable future), or the book about Mulhorand, Unther and Chessenta and thei immediate surroundings (which I think is much more likely).

That's just me, though.

reanjr

First Post
FireLance said:
Good grief, I was joking when I speculated about Races of Eberron. What's next, Magic of Eberron? Player's Guide to Eberron?

Judging by history Player's Guide to Eberron won't be out until v.3.7.2 mandates an update to the original rules. So it can't be more than what... 2 years off?

reanjr

First Post
Perun said:
Yeah, that's my guess as well... Since, so far, the books centred on the creature types (dragons and undead), it's extremely likely this one will follow the suite. And aberrations are the only ones I can think of that could be classified as "anathema"... a very slight case could be made for constructs, but they don't carry that sort of social stigma in core D&D...

Alright so we have:

1. Draconomicon (Dragon)
2. Libris Mortis (Undead)
3. Codex Anathema (Aberration)

I think we can probably assume Humanoids and Animals will NOT get their own book. I'd probably add to that Elementals (too limited in context), Oozes, Plants, and Vermin.

That leaves us with:

Construct, Fey, Giant, Magical Beast, and Outsider

Names for these books? Ideas? I'm curious to see how run out of ideas Wizards is going to be if they decide to continue this series.

Constructed Canon
Fey Folio
Jotun Edda
Treatise Fantistical
(beyond counting for the Outsider one; it would probably be split between fiends and celestials anyway)

reanjr

First Post
Li Shenron said:
My prayers for this not to be published were unheard... :(

What's wrong with Complete Adventurer?

I liked Complete Warrior, if not Complete Divine. If they do a better job, I think it would be a good book.

Li Shenron

Legend
Perun said:
Yeah, that's my guess as well... Since, so far, the books centred on the creature types (dragons and undead), it's extremely likely this one will follow the suite. And aberrations are the only ones I can think of that could be classified as "anathema"... a very slight case could be made for constructs, but they don't carry that sort of social stigma in core D&D...

I don't know, but aren't aberrations quite a loose category to get a book like this?

My first idea was that it could be a book about fiends, because just like dragons and undead they are a popular group, broad enough to easily generate new creatures but also a cohesive group.

It is easy to conceive the same sort of material that is in Draconomicon and presumably Libris Mortis: guidelines about playing a fiend PC, prestige classes for fiends and for normal characters who fight against fiends or who want to become close to them, magic items related to fiends, lots of flavor text about the phisiology and ecology of fiends (although obviously totally unearthly).

Could you do the same for aberrations? Sure, but it'd be more difficult IMO not to turn the book into simply a collection of monsters entries...

However, there is already a lot of material out about fiends (mostly non-WotC to say the truth) so this may be a totally wrong guess :p

1) The Miniatures Expansion has been renamed to Deathknell...

2) d20 Modern Release is 2005:
d20 Past (James Wyatt) 3/2005

3) Star Wars Release 2005:
Ultimate Missions: Clone Strike (JD Wiker) 2/2005

Cthulhudrew

First Post
reanjr said:
Yeah, someone should start a thread on wacky ideas people have as to what this title is going to be.

How about a book on abberations?

Anathema
(n.) A ban or curse pronounced with religious solemnity by ecclesiastical authority, and accompanied by excommunication. Hence: Denunciation of anything as accursed.
(n.) An imprecation; a curse; a malediction.
(n.) Any person or thing anathematized, or cursed by ecclesiastical authority.

I'd say we're looking at a book of Demons and Devils.

Li Shenron

Legend
reanjr said:
What's wrong with Complete Adventurer?

I liked Complete Warrior, if not Complete Divine. If they do a better job, I think it would be a good book.

It was ironical, but not too much... of course I couldn't really wish that a book was not published! ;) Only that I have the feeling this book was very unnecessary (in the sense that every class could have been covered just by CWarrior, CDivine and CArcane) and as such I am afraid it is going to contain crappy bits, and perhaps be much worse than the infamous Song & Silence.

Remove ads