• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2007 ENnies Nominees - announced!

fusangite

First Post
Mokona said:
The ENnies lose all credibility when no Dungeons & Dragons products by Wizards of the Coast are involved.
That's funny because publishers who have won prominently display our logo on their products. Many who meet us at Gen Con report increases in sales resulting from them winning awards, most recently, the publishers of Shadowrun at last year's convention. Hundreds of people attend the awards and thousands vote in the judge elections and on the finalists selected by the judges.

I would encourage you to attend the awars ceremony and our booth at Gen Con this year and observe how much credibility we already have.

While we would welcome the entry of additional companies in the awards, including WOTC, we are very happy with the continuing increase in the credibility of the ENnies each year, and the concommitant increase in fan voting that we have been observing. Obviously, it is up to publishers as to whether they wish to participate and we respect the decision of WOTC to opt out.

Finally, if you read this very thread, you can measure the credibility of the ENnies by the fact that publishers are honoured to have been nominated, and fans are rushing to check out new products based simply on their receiving an ENnies nomination.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Mokona said:
The ENnies lose all credibility when no Dungeons & Dragons products by Wizards of the Coast are involved.
So we're clear, WotC products aren't involved because to date Wizards of the Coast has chosen not to enter. It's a little bit of a difficult choice for them; if they enter and sweep a category people might say "it's because it's WotC," and if they enter and don't win they risk a credibility hit. I'm not sure I agree with that, and we would welcome them, but I certainly respect their choice to leave the focus on the best 3rd-party publishers.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Mokona said:
The ENnies lose all credibility when no Dungeons & Dragons products by Wizards of the Coast are involved. The InQuest Gamer magazine has a decent solution to the problem of a dominant game dominating the awards. InQuest has a category for Best Magic Expansion so that Magic: the Gathering expansions don't win the Best Trading Card Game category every single year. The ENnies should try something similar.

Like what?

Give Hasbro an exception to the rule that companies have to submit products to be judged and nominated? Because they are bigger, they don't need to be involved in the process?

jaldaen

First Post
jgbrowning said:
Glad to see the results and thanks to the judges for all their hard work.

I'd like to echo this sentiment and thank you all for your nomination of Nevermore... its been a long tough road for the Nevermore campaign setting and really helps remind me that its the road less traveled that's the most rewarding ;)

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
First off congratulations to the nominees! I hope my GenCon schedule will allow me to attend the awards.

Secondly, I have been thinking about the issue Pirate Cat brought up in his post and I think next year we'll participate.

And no I don't think we should be given some separate awards because what is the point of that? "congratulations to D&D for the best D&D book!" horrah :\

I know there are other quality products out there and I personally would really like to see how we fair against the other publishers. Based on how we did (or didn't do at Origins) it would be a good experience for the product line and may not be clean sweep like some people might suggest.

What do you guys think should WOTC stay out or participate?

Last edited:

Beckett

Explorer
Scott_Rouse said:
Secondly, I have been thinking about the issue Pirate Cat brought up in his post and I think next year we'll participate.

Wow. Let me say again that I'm glad you're posting here.

I think it would be great for WotC to participate. And not in its own category (I had a similar thought earlier today- "Here's the award for the best product Wizards of the Coast put out this year!" bleah)

And I don't think it would be a clean sweep for Wizards. You guys put out a lot of great stuff, but there are other companies also putting out great books- I think I'd put up Ptolus against anything WotC has published in the last year, for example.

Scott_Rouse said:
First off congratulations to the nominees! I hope my GenCon schedule will allow me to attend the awards.

And no I don't think we should be given some separate awards because what is the point of that? "congratulations to D&D for the best D&D book!" horrah :\

I know there are other quality products out there and I personally would really like to see how we fair against the other publishers. Based on how we did (or didn't do at Origins) it would be a good experience for the product line and may not be clean sweep like some people might suggest.

What do you guys think should WOTC stay out or participate?
Personally I would love to see WotC participate.

Last edited:

Remove ads