2010: Is it Dragonlance? (hint)

Nymrohd

First Post
Or Dark $un with an emphasis on the merchant houses. Or Plane$cape with an emphasis on the trade routes of the multiverse and the Merkhants. Or it is actually a setting that will be profitable *gasps.

Well, crud, that means no Hollow World, either. I don't know why people missed that one, it's just begging to dominate the marketplace!

Hmm... with that last clue, could it be T$R??? You can play fledgling game designers struggling to survive in their points of light within a failing RPG company! :)

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
Well, crud, that means no Hollow World, either. I don't know why people missed that one, it's just begging to dominate the marketplace!

Hmm... with that last clue, could it be T??? You can play fledgling game designers struggling to survive in their points of light within a failing RPG company! :)
Hollow World=Mystara.:p

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
And there you go dashing all of our hopes for a Red Steel setting.

They mentioned Red Steel on the Q&A with Chris Perkins and James Wyatt on the latest episode of The Tome Show. Chris Perkins pretty much laughed off the idea of Red Steel being the next setting.

I imagine that would become part of Mystara anyway.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Scott_Rouse said:
The 2010 setting has an "a" in the name.

Did someone buy a vowel, Pat?

patsajak_2.jpg

RSTLNE! You know how this game is played.

Yick. I really, really hope it isn't Dragonlance. Especially given how thoroughly and repeatedly the novels have trashed the setting by this point. If it is Dragonlance, I hope it's a reboot to the start of Chronicles or Legends.

Dragonlance had some excellent novels, but I've never been sold on it as a setting for RPGs. Dark Sun had craptastic novels but it was an awesome setting.

Unfortunately, I can see how they might re-release Dragonlance in an effort to leverage the popularity of the novels... sigh.

I agree. the Dragonlance books were good, I really enjoyed them, but as a setting to play D&D in, it blows chunks, it's was too "tame".
Dragonlance would be bested played as a "low magic" setting, IMHO, but how could you do that with 4th ed rules?

Dark Sun was the opposite, an amazing setting and most of the books blowed chunks! :p

Dark Sun though, they'd absolutely have to, by default, "ban" much of the import of 4th ed new races etc. Unless, as I've started doing, allowing lots of "mutations"...folk who may appear human, but aren't, etc.
Pal wanted to play a goliath in my 4th ed Dark Sun game, but the don't fit in...then I thought, wait a minute, mutation is a key feature of the official lore of Dark SUn (Pristine Tower and is mentioned in original set)..so why not allow PCs to have a different race than normal, but, they usually look like the normal races, or indeed do look like the race they chose.
A tiefling-as-a-human works fine, for example.

Although I avoid completely the "offical novel-based history of Athas" (whcih I abhor) I love the idea of Darwinism gone mad, and magic and other forces spawning mutations, which would epxlain all the weird beasties as is noted by The Wanderer. (I have the mindflayers as the cause of all of Athas' woes, a plot by them to put out the Sun, went awry an aeon ago, unleashing psionics and defiling magic)

Dark Sun only works when it's kept gritty, enclosed, and very different from normal D&D "high fantasy" settings.
The races are very different, and that's part of what makes it so good.

The re-release of the Dark sun novels, and PHB3 having psionics suggests more Dark Sun. Also, miniatures form other settings have ben nout before, like Raistlin and Strahd for DDM (Strahd's mini is..meh).

The draconians from Krynn were a great set of monster races, IMHO, and would do well in most D&D settings. So I'd like to see them as minis :) But yes that mini's paint looks dreadful, ugh.

Alas, Human-sized DD minis paint jobs tend to look awful, very often, IMHO, due to small size making painting harder for who ever does it on a mass production scale.
Shame, as some of the miniatures are good, I particullarly love the goblin delver in recent ones!! Reminds me os much of Nodwick, rofl!! If I was still painting minis, I'd love to get a similar one from Reaper Minis or such.

goblin_delver.jpg

I adore minotaurs as a PC race, and the Dragonlance ones inspired me ot make my own for my homebrew setting (sort of Viking-like but mostly good natured, who're the originators of the unarmed martial arts of the setting as their monks are the most esteemed "holy" folk in their culture, for overcoming their raging furies)

The 2010 setting has an "a" in the name.

Does that clear things up? :devil:

Giant Space Hamsters!!!! It's SPELLJAMMER!!! :p
I want Boo in space, yes I do, :devil:!

OK since you asked

[sblock] $ [/sblock]

Ok, gotta be Dark Sun: sell defeated foes as slaves for much $$$!!
So, exactly how do you work out how much a captured templar works into a treasure parcel, when sold as a slave?
Muhaha ;)

Remove ads