2010: Is it Dragonlance? (hint)

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
1. Perhaps because in order to hang on to their copyrights they have to rerelease stuff every so often. Plus, don't you think they would have released the books next year to tie-in with the setting?

I can see this, though maybe the other Dark Sun series is scheduled for next year.

2. Since when did Dark Sun have a monopoly on Psionics. For all we know, the only reason they are in PHB3 not PHB4 is for Eberron's sake.

Dark Sun doesn't have the monopoly on psionics. However, when you mix the words "setting" and "psionics," Dark Sun is the first setting to come to mind. It was the first setting to thoroughly integrate psionics.

I was glad when Eberron started using psionics as well.

3. If you follow that logic, they wouldn't have released Eberron either, since it would compete with its 3.5e stuff.

There's a difference. DL was licensed, Eberron wasn't. Eberron would then come across as a continuation of the setting into a new edition. Dragonlance would appear (key word) to be taken away from the DL creators, who know the setting best. If WotC produces anything less than MWP quality in terms of story and continuity, there could be a backlash.

When you have the Weis & Hickman names attached to Dragonlance, that's hard for WotC to "compete" with. The 3.5 era of DL is considered by many DL fans to be the "golden era" of DL gaming. That's quite a legacy.

4. Neither does Dark Sun though...

There's another DS series, Tribe of One.

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
There's another DS series, Tribe of One.
Which hasn't been announced yet. That makes one Dragonlance novel announced for 2010 (though I though there was word a while back that one of the trilogies was going to get done at the beginning of 2010) compared to no Dark Sun. We probably won't see what else is planned for either series until Gencon, when they burst the bubble.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
If WotC produces anything less than MWP quality in terms of story and continuity, there could be a backlash.

When you have the Weis & Hickman names attached to Dragonlance, that's hard for WotC to "compete" with.

Well, for point #1, obviously they wouldn't care very much. I mean, they tromped all over the Realms much to the wailing and gnashing of teeth from truefans, why would DL be any different? These are brands with a built-in fan base who would buy the books even if they hated them. ;) And after the "resurrection" of the setting during 3.5, why wouldn't WotC want to bring those players into 4e?

For point #2, they would probably involve those two in the creation of the 4e setting, much like they involved Greenwood in 4e FR, and are involving Baker in Eberron.

It might not be DL, but I'd say DL has the strongest case so far for it. Anything else would be kind of out of left field right now. Which, again, they might be going for.

Dark Sun raises more issues than it solves. Everyone wants it, but 4e isn't very sensitive to the "restrictions" nature that makes it a rewarding setting. It's probably in the que, but they're going to spend more time on it than they would on something like FR, DL, or Eberron (or even Greyhawk) where a lot of the work is already done for them by a broad, vocal fanbase, and where the worlds hew a lot closer to what 4e expects out of your game.

DS is more obscure than all of those. It might get published, but I'd guess that they'd go with the tried-and-true settings before mucking about with bugs and defilers and sorcerer-kings.

Dortmunder

First Post
I think it unlikely to be Dragonlance for the following reason:

In the podcast mentioned above (4e one year later), they mention that they want to push for Campaign Settings that stand out from the traditional/generic/core/Greyhawk fantasy themes.

Dragonlance is a bit too traditional (earth-like planet, traditional races with their usual stereotypes), while Dark Sun really stands out (hostile desert world, races breaking from their mold [sun worshipping dwarves? desert elven bandits? forest-dwelling savage halflings? half-giants & muls? thri-kreen?] yeah)

I agree it will be Dragonlance, based on the fact that Weis and Hickman will be participating in WotC seminars at GenCon Indy.

Oh God, please say it ain't so! :.-(

Dragonlance 4E would be even worse than Forgotten Realms 4E

whereas Dark Sun 4E, or a whole new setting would be something much better

but a Aurak mini makes no sense without Dragonlance, and those minis are a 4ed acessory after all.

Not necessarily, remember we got Warforged way before we had 4E Eberron... And we have Grells in 4E and I don't expect we will get Spelljammer 4E

Anyway, them could be in Draconomicon II, metallic eggs and stuff.. but why make ANOTHER dragon-hibrid for 4 ed??? they are THAT popular ???

Dunno... could be?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
In the podcast mentioned above (4e one year later), they mention that they want to push for Campaign Settings that stand out from the traditional/generic/core/Greyhawk fantasy themes.

Dragonlance is a bit too traditional (earth-like planet, traditional races with their usual stereotypes), while Dark Sun really stands out (hostile desert world, races breaking from their mold [sun worshipping dwarves? desert elven bandits? forest-dwelling savage halflings? half-giants & muls? thri-kreen?] yeah)

I'm going to disagree with this point to a degree. While Dragonlance may be based in traditional fantasy, there are enough differences to make it different from your standard vanilla setting. The setting has a very different flavor.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Well, for point #1, obviously they wouldn't care very much. I mean, they tromped all over the Realms much to the wailing and gnashing of teeth from truefans, why would DL be any different? These are brands with a built-in fan base who would buy the books even if they hated them. ;) And after the "resurrection" of the setting during 3.5, why wouldn't WotC want to bring those players into 4e?

I can see this point. Hell, I know I'd buy any DL4e book that WotC would produce, whether I thought it was as good as the MWP books or not.

For point #2, they would probably involve those two in the creation of the 4e setting, much like they involved Greenwood in 4e FR, and are involving Baker in Eberron.

Hopefully, though WotC may want to take the setting in a new direction.

It might not be DL, but I'd say DL has the strongest case so far for it. Anything else would be kind of out of left field right now. Which, again, they might be going for.

I believe the designers said something to the effect that the setting might be surprising.

Dark Sun raises more issues than it solves. Everyone wants it, but 4e isn't very sensitive to the "restrictions" nature that makes it a rewarding setting.

Dark Sun ran into those very problems in 3.5, particularly in regards to the defiler.

Likewise, Dragonlance has some of those same issues. DL is based very much on AD&D tropes. Personally, I thought it was a model world for the 3.5 rules in regards to how prestige classes should be used. However, the new power sources/classes may be a harder fit, and races without negatives means certain races will be hard to do (i.e. gully dwarves).

It's probably in the que, but they're going to spend more time on it than they would on something like FR, DL, or Eberron (or even Greyhawk) where a lot of the work is already done for them by a broad, vocal fanbase, and where the worlds hew a lot closer to what 4e expects out of your game.

Dark Sun would be a tougher fit. I think some things would fit well (i.e. goliaths), but others would be a tough sell (i.e. primal power source).

Huh, I went into this thread with my mind made up, and now I have cause to doubt myself. I'm still pretty sure it's not Dragonlance, but I don't know for certain whether it's Dark Sun or not.

Remove ads