• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

20th level: the normal numbers

How do your PC gp values fall into the wealth chart?

• Poll closed .

Emirikol

Adventurer
These numbers inspired me to make a poll. How do your character's numbers (WHATEVER LEVEL) fall into the wealth chart of the DMG p. 135? Is your DM screwing you or is he coddling you?

In regards to a 20th level character, the DMG gives the amount of wealth at 760,000gp. Figure 75% of that is probably magic items in high magic worlds like FR, GH, or Ebb and the rest is in land, loot, loyalty, and upkeep. So for a campaign that doesn't go over the top in ridiculous amounts of magical items and power, you can assume a "normal" amount at 75%.

SET 1 - NORMAL
("Normal" magic item amount campaign 75% of total wealth is magic items: 570,000):
a) FOUR 142,500 gp magical items

b) ONE 142,500 gp item + FOUR 106,875 gp items

c) ONE 142,500 gp item + FIVE 85,500 gp items

d) ONE 142,500 gp item + SIX 71,250 gp items

e) ONE 142,500 gp item + SEVEN 61,071 gp items

f) ONE 142,500 gp item + EIGHT 53,437 gp items

g) TWO 142,500 gp items + FOUR 71,250 gp items

h) TWO 142,500 gp items + SIX 47,500 gp items

SET 2 - HIGH
In a high amount of magic items setting, you would max out the wealth and it would all be in magic items with the following sets (760,000).

a) FOUR 190,000 gp items

b) TWO 190,000 gp items + FOUR 95,000 gp items

c) ONE 760,000gp item (according to the DMG a 20th level adventure would not require an item of higher value than that..)

SET 3 - LOWER
In a lower amount of magic items setting (50%) considering the 75% modifier (25% land, loot, loyalty and upkeep), you're looking at 285,000 in magic items:

a) FOUR 71,250 gp items

b) TWO 71,250 gp items + FOUR 17,813 gp items

SET 4 - REALLY LOW
In a relatively non-magical setting, you could look at probably 25% of total (190,000 @75% = 142,500 in items)

a) FOUR 35,625 gp items

b) TWO 35,625 gp items + FOUR 17,813 gp items

Thoughts?

jh
This is from the thread: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=190358

Attachments

• wealth breakdown.xls
    18.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Aust Diamondew

First Post
One problem. Even in your high magic scenario you are 10k GP shy of being able to have a weapon with the full +10 worth of bonuses unless you only have one item, which would suck.

Also from a power perspective your 'normal' sets are better because you can have more items (even if they are less expensive items). In fact option F from that section is proably the most optimal choice even compared to high magic stuff.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Aust Diamondew said:
One problem. Even in your high magic scenario you are 10k GP shy of being able to have a weapon with the full +10 worth of bonuses unless you only have one item, which would suck.Also from a power perspective your 'normal' sets are better because you can have more items (even if they are less expensive items). In fact option F from that section is proably the most optimal choice even compared to high magic stuff.

Hey man, I don't, like, write the rules man :) I looked at those optimal numbers. I agree option f is pretty good.

Once you've got a good set of armor and a +9.5 weapon (laugh), you're set.

jh

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

I voted 50% but I guess it's more like 60%. For my high-level campaign, the PCs are bit underpowered so need to bump treasure up occasionally.

Cheers

Richard

Crothian

First Post
Why is normal 75% of what the DMG says? Isn't the DMG chart supposed to be the baseline?

We vary as the go through different levels. Now they are high as they just got a Airship but slowly as they spend mno0ney on it and deal with hireing a crew and all that their wealth will go back down below normal.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Crothian said:
Why is normal 75% of what the DMG says? Isn't the DMG chart supposed to be the baseline?

"No adventure meant for 7th-level characters, for example, will require or assume that the party possesses a magic item that costs 20,000gp" That would indicate a "max wealth" even though the term "average" is thrown around.

[edit] I used 75% because that's typically a societal norm for "average", however if you want a +10 item purchase for your 20th level characters you should use an 80% factor.

jh

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
I generally keep my PCs at approximately one level higher on the wealth chart, i.e. they have approximately as much wealth as recommended for PCs a level higher. More recently, they've been coming in at about 3 levels higher and more, partly because every PC has now got a +4 enhancement bonus to three stats, which is effectively three slotless items, so costing 32k each (total 96k).

Quartz

Hero
Hmm.. I think that this is one area where high-level mages get a decided advantage over other classes: they can give themselves a +5 Inherent Bonus (Int, then Con, then other stats) via Wishes or creating the appropriate tome and because of the way the XP system works, they get accellerated XP because they're now lower level! So your party might have a 20th level fighter with no Inherent Bonuses and an 18th or 19th level Wizard with +5 in 3 or 4 stats.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
I voted 50% or so, becasue my last 20th elvel group was a bit behind the curve magically, but not badly so. After all, you don't NEED a +10 wepaon and +10 armor, though even if you ahve both, you are still poor for 20th. 760,000 is a ton of gold, and you can buy a lot of obcene stuff. But unless you buy lots of stacking things, like AC or such, it is hard to spend that kind of monry. Only so many slots to fill.

Once my group went Epic, we were really eally behind the curve and did not use much of hat we found for no reason.

Remove ads