2E Retro-Clone?

I still believe a OSRIC supplement would be the best way of handling such a project (assuming the OSRIC powers-that-be would be cool with it). Use a lot of the OSRIC material as baseline, only changing things to "2e" them and begin adding new content as needed.
I agree that OSRIC makes an ideal basis. I suggest a series of bite-sized supplements, releasing finished material often. I'd start with a 2e combat supplement. Finish that, release it, and then start 2e characters (maybe even releasing individual classes as they're finished).

By breaking it up into pieces, you make it manageable. You also start getting feedback from the community. And eventually, you can combine all these finished pieces into a larger supplement.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Actually, what would be the "good" parts of 2e? At least from the point of view of a 2e fan?

-somewhat streamlined rules.
-proficincies
-kits
-beefed up dragons and giants

And then theres

-a bunch of alternative campaing settings

I still believe a OSRIC supplement would be the best way of handling such a project (assuming the OSRIC powers-that-be would be cool with it).

We're on record as saying we would be cool with it. I can confidently say that we still would. But don't expect much help from OSRIC's primary authors; OSRIC was a labour of love, and 2e would not be.

There's a sum of money for which I'd write a ZEBRIC supplement but I'm fairly sure the amount involved would not be forthcoming from the 2e fanbase. :)

Melkor

Explorer
I agree that OSRIC makes an ideal basis. I suggest a series of bite-sized supplements, releasing finished material often. I'd start with a 2e combat supplement. Finish that, release it, and then start 2e characters (maybe even releasing individual classes as they're finished).

By breaking it up into pieces, you make it manageable. You also start getting feedback from the community. And eventually, you can combine all these finished pieces into a larger supplement.

This is a great idea Philotomy. I'd be willing to try and work up the 2E combat stuff for something like this.

Melkor

Explorer
We're on record as saying we would be cool with it. I can confidently say that we still would. But don't expect much help from OSRIC's primary authors; OSRIC was a labour of love, and 2e would not be.

There's a sum of money for which I'd write a ZEBRIC supplement but I'm fairly sure the amount involved would not be forthcoming from the 2e fanbase. :)

Awesome. As far as help goes, for my part, I think it would primarily be a little advice here and there when questions come up regarding the legalities of the OGL.

Grimstaff

Explorer
I'd love to see an OSRIC supplement that adds what little is known about Gygax's never-seen, intended 2nd edition of D&D, like the new classes and such. :cool:

grodog

Hero
I'd love to see an OSRIC supplement that adds what little is known about Gygax's never-seen, intended 2nd edition of D&D, like the new classes and such. :cool:

There are a number of such efforts out there: DMPrata wrote some up for Dragonsfoot's Footprints magazine awhile ago (issues 11 and 12 I think); Joe "Greyhawk Grognard" Bloch designed the Jester for April Fool's Day this year, and has a few long posts about EGG's Second Edition classes; and it's been discussed over on Knights & Knaves as well (as well as elsewhere, I'm sure).

Wik

First Post
Actually, what would be the "good" parts of 2e? At least from the point of view of a 2e fan?

-somewhat streamlined rules.
-proficincies
-kits
-beefed up dragons and giants

And then theres

-a bunch of alternative campaing settings

I'd add to that weapons vs. armour type, the new initiative system, some of the world-building options mentioned in the DMG and later books, and the changes to the races.

Melkor

Explorer
If working from OSRIC as a base....

If I remember correctly, there was a TSR document that detailed the changes from 1E to 2E.

Does anyone know where I might find that?

Remove ads