• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2h weapon damage bonus?

kristov

Explorer
Does wielding a 2h weapon give you any additional dmg using your strength or something?

I see versitile weapons get an additional +1 dmg when they are wielded 2h - such as 2h'ing a longswould would be 1d8+1+STR on dmg.

I could not find any rule that said that 2h weapons give additional dmg, at least due to strength perhaps?

Pinnacle

First Post
Versatile weapons get that bonus so that there's a damage difference between wieding them one-handed and two-handed. Two-handed weapons are always wielded two-handed, so they just have higher base damage.

This is better in some cases. Powers that deal multiple times weapon damage are better if the weapon has a higher base damage than if it has a bonus. Two-handed weapons also get better damage bonuses for Power Attack.

hamishspence

Adventurer
Fighter powers

Some Fighter powers work better with two handed weapons than one handed. The only justification besides the feat cost for using a greatsword over a bastard sword two handed (as a 1 handed weapon, it doesn't get two handed bonuses)

Gloombunny

First Post
Some Fighter powers work better with two handed weapons than one handed.
Well, actually there's only one, Reaping Strike.

The only justification besides the feat cost for using a greatsword over a bastard sword two handed (as a 1 handed weapon, it doesn't get two handed bonuses)
This is... debatable. To me, "use them as two-handed weapons" implies that the versatile weapon counts as a two-handed weapon when used that way. But, I'm comfortable with bastard swords being straight-up better than greatswords if you've spent the feat for proficiency.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Does it strike anyone else as odd that a longsword weilded with two hands has the same average damage as a greatsword? Or that a bastard sword weilded two handed actually has a higher base damage? :eek:

Gloombunny

First Post
Does it strike anyone else as odd that a longsword weilded with two hands has the same average damage as a greatsword? Or that a bastard sword weilded two handed actually has a higher base damage? :eek:
The greatsword still outdamages the longsword on critical hits, most encounter and daily powers, and all the time at epic tier.

And bastard swords are awesome - just like in real life! ^_^

The greatsword still outdamages the longsword on critical hits, most encounter and daily powers, and all the time at epic tier.

And bastard swords are awesome - just like in real life! ^_^

Right, because Katanas are just better(c)

I am actually a bit miffed about greatswords and bastard swords... I might houserule greatsword base damage to 1d10+1 in my game (too bad we can't make it 2d5!)

Last edited:

Gloombunny

First Post
I am actually a bit miffed about greatswords and bastard swords... I might houserule greatsword base damage to 1d10+1 in my game (too bad we can't make it 2d5!)
Thing is, greatswords are already quite competitive with other two-handed weapons. It's just that bastard swords are overpowered, really.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads