[3.5] Answering the Call

Rhun

First Post
Orinar takes up a vigilant position, his greatsword loose in its scabbard. "Now, we wait." he states flatly.

OOC: My memory matches yours Neurotic.

Arkhandus

First Post
"Aye, let us see if our fey friends will answer the call. We should be ready, though, in case monsters or goblinoids hear it and approach instead. Just don't draw weapons until we see something threatening....." Lars chips in.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
As the note from the horn fades, the adventurers see a circle of light appear within a ring of toadstools growing on the mound. A half dozen plus one fey knights step out of the light and advance. The light fades away to nothing.

"Hail, friends!" Duhnmair says. "What news?"

Rhun

First Post
"Justice has been served," says Orinar, a smile on his face at the sight of the fey knights. "We have found the foul murderers of your kin, and they have faced justice. We have come to return your lord's cousin's stolen blade."

Arkhandus

First Post
"Aye! Two of the dwarf's villainous comrades were some kind of shapeshifting demon or the like, and one managed to escape after we slew the first. The dwarf and his comrades have been smote and the stolen blade has been recovered!" Lars exclaims, raising the mithral blade high for all to see.

Then the paladin steps forth, lowers the blade and turns it about, holding it by the blade in his gauntleted hand, presenting it hilt-first for the fey to reclaim. "Here, friend," he says with a smile. "I only wish we had thought to bring some wine from the Keep before leaving!"

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Duhnmair gravely accepts the blade, and then hands it to one of his knights. He bows deeply.

"We thank you," he says. "You've performed a great service for us, both in returning this blade but also in the information you bring. Please sit a moment. Amergin, break out the wine."

A few moments later, the wine is distributed to all who want it, and the fey knights and adventurers sit to listen to Duhnmair.

"The shapechanger you describe was a bricriu, a strife bringer. They belong to the Unseelie, who've not been seen in these parts for many years. The Unseelie are fey, but they serve dark powers."

Duhnmair takes a sip from his wine.

"Borderland Keep is likely infiltrated for bricrius work in groups. Where there are two, there are almost certainly more."

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"No thanks are necessary. Is there a way to detect them? Other then slaying them I mean? Also, do you know what's behind these doors in the barrow?"

Rhun

First Post
Orinar sits cross-legged, still towering above even those fey that remain standing. He sips at the fey wine, which in his opinion was really quite delicious. As Duhnmair gives his story, the giantsblood finds himself listening intently.

"What is the purpose of these Unseelie? What do they hope to achieve by infiltrating the keep?"

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
"No thanks are necessary. Is there a way to detect them? Other then slaying them I mean? Also, do you know what's behind these doors in the barrow?"

The fey knights nods. "Many years ago, a wizard and a warrior built an underground stronghold behind those doors. What became of them is unknown. They might still be there, but it seems more likely to me they're long dead."

"What is the purpose of these Unseelie? What do they hope to achieve by infiltrating the keep?"

Duhnmair says, "Detecting the bricriu is not easy. Crickets become agitated in their presence. Like many fey, they are vulnerable to cold iron, but that doesn't seem to lend itself well to detecting them without running the risk of injuring people you might not want injured."

He chuckles a bit, and then grows serious again.

"The Unseelie revel in the darker side of nature. They reject the beauty and creativity that balances the destructive force of a storm or the red fangs of a predator. Their leaders seek to plunge the world into chaos where failure would be the only sin. Borderland Keep represents the return of civilization and its trappings to this region."

Remove ads