• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4 Map Styles

Stormrunner

Explorer
Sigurd said:
I still don't know how to remove the white spots but at least I think I've figured out how to not create them.

The standard way to avoid the grey "halo" when filling anti-aliased lineart:

First, make sure your resolution is high enough that your black lines are at least 3-4 pixels thick.

Keep the black-and-white lineart on its own layer. Set that layer to "Multiply", this effectively makes all the white areas transparent and the grey areas semi-transparent - the darker the grey, the less transparent. Lock this layer so you don't accidentally mess it up. Save your file.

Create a new, white layer UNDERNEATH the lineart layer. Put all your color on this layer. For small areas it's faster to just color them in by hand. To fill a large area:
On the lineart layer, magic-wand select the area.
Go to the select options and "expand selection" about 2-3 pixels.
Switch to the color layer, and fill. The expanded selection will spread the color UNDER the black lines enough that it should remove most or all of the "halo". You can touch up around the edges as necessary.
For ocean areas, save that expanded selection before you go on to the touchup. You can then later use that selection along with an "inner shadow" (set to white instead of black) to create the lighter shading along the coastlines.

Remove ads