• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e and anime

Eric Tolle

First Post
"Anime" is the new "cinematic" which is basically just a keyword for "this game is too action packed and not thoughtful enough".

I mean geez, WHAT anime? Are we talking about the intense family dynamics of Fruits Basket? The low key realism of Master Keaton, or the over-the-top comedics of Oran Host Club? DO we have any more definition beyond "something I don't like?"

Eric Tolle

First Post
Voss said:
Maybe Record of Lodoss War or Slayers, but that seems... redundant.
I keep trying to think of what level LInna Inverse would be, and then slam up against the fact that she's 15 years old.

Then again, given that in some campaigns I've been in, evidently less than a season has passed between level one and ten, it might not be that far-fetched.

(BTW: just finished Lodoss Wars again tonight- for about the fourth time)

The_Fan

First Post
How about "something I LIKE!"

In particular, I tend to prefer the more action-based shonen series. Ruroni Kenshin, One Piece, Naruto, etc. Yes, even Dragon Ball Z. I got my start on that one. Record of the Lodoss War is awesome, and I hope there's some ability that lets a fighter do what Gimli did in the climactic battle with Karla the Witch (shielding everyone behind him from Ye Massive Cone of Energy Death)

Wanderer20

First Post
I know (and appreciate) Anime, particularly fantasy-anime like the above mentioned Slayers and Lodoss.

But D&D is something else, and something else it should remain.

If I wanna watch anime, I go watching anime, no problem at all. If I wanna play D&D, anime must be out...

Have you ever tried to play Ravenloft with Planescape races (children do not do this at home)? It gives you the same "WTF atmosphere are we playing with?!"

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Wanderer20 said:
If I wanna watch anime, I go watching anime, no problem at all. If I wanna play D&D, anime must be out...

Have you ever tried to play Ravenloft with Planescape races (children do not do this at home)? It gives you the same "WTF atmosphere are we playing with?!"
If you're even giving Ravenloft and Planescape as examples, why do you think D&D can accommodate stuff as Ravenloft AND Planescape but NOT anime?

You've said D&D is something else than anime, but then, what is D&D? Dark Sun? Planescape? Ravenloft? Forgotten Realms? Mystara? Eberron? A game with wacky space hamsters (i.e. Spelljammer)?

I'd rather say, WotC should do an animesque setting, allowing people accommodate that style, just as D&D can be used for Ravenloft, Planescape, Forgotten Realms, and Eberron. All of these four settings don't mix at all, but still they're D&D. Why isn't that the case with anime?

If D&D can have Spelljammers, it can have anime. Just don't try to use them all at once.

Cheers, LT.

JosephK

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
I'd rather say, WotC should do an animesque setting, allowing people accommodate that style, just as D&D can be used for Ravenloft, Planescape, Forgotten Realms, and Eberron. All of these four settings don't mix at all, but still they're D&D. Why isn't that the case with anime?

If D&D can have Spelljammers, it can have anime. Just don't try to use them all at once.

Cheers, LT.

I wouldnt mind if wizard produced a anime themed setting, at all.

That said, I loathe anime. I think almost all of it is poorly done (from an artistic point of view) I think most of them are unintentionally comical (some are probably intentionally comical, but then imo it stops being funny), both as far the stories go, as well as the general 'feel' and look.

I hope to God, that we wont see anymore "Flying zebra spike-PUNCH!' or 'Monkey poo FLIIIIING!" abilities, *especially* in the core books. While D&D has changed alot (even thematically) over the years, it has always been fairly standard (western) fantasy at its core, with various settings being used to change the overall 'feel' of the core rules. Imho it should stay that way, putting those ridiculous names and abilities in the game, will mean that I'll have to do alot of editing and nix'ing, to keep it as western-themed fantasy, I'd rather not.

The Merciful

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
animesque setting
And what would that be?

I once heard that when manga was conquering America, one American publisher stated: "No worries, we just draw our characters with bigger eyes". Really, things aren't quite that simple and superficial...

WhatGravitas

Explorer
JosephK said:
Imho it should stay that way, putting those ridiculous names and abilities in the game, will mean that I'll have to do alot of editing and nix'ing, to keep it as western-themed fantasy, I'd rather not.
Hence being optional is the key - just it in the core rules would be as bad as including Eberronian warforged, airships, and lightning rails in the PHB/DMG/implied setting - as much as I love Eberron.

And how an animesque setting should look like?

1) No real clue. I support more options, but I'm not into much anime myself, especially not the over-the-top ones.
2) It doesn't have to be "real" anime, it just has to include tropes and general ideas to evoke the feeling of anime... just as Ravenloft is not Dracula, as FR is not LotR, Eberron not Steampunk. But they certainly evoke that feeling.

Cheers, LT.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Eric Tolle said:
I keep trying to think of what level LInna Inverse would be, and then slam up against the fact that she's 15 years old.
Wait, really?

That makes the tension I recall between her and Goury kinda creepy.

However, it is technically when humans can start adventuring.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads