• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[4e] covaithe's E1: Death's Reach

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
I think posting the dnd4e file would be fine, since whoever can open it has access to all the copyright material in it anyway. Posting the pdf on a message board, though, could be frowned upon, since it fully details how all of your powers works. I think sheets like mine are OK, since the numbers are filled in and sort of 'hide' the mechanics from people who don't know. At least, that's how pretty much all PbP sheets are and there hasn't been a crack-down on them, so I assume it's ok.

CaBaNa

First Post
is the Undead Servitor ritual from Open Grave an accessible ritual? I think it would be funny to have an undead butler...

EDIT: also
rituals I'd like from dragon 366; conceal object, and bolster object, for obvious phylactery reasons...

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
So, here's my idea (a defender, since there were none): A Shadar-Kai Assaulting Swordmage/Ghost Blade/Punisher of the Gods. Essentially, a phasing/insubstantial teleporting machine. I'm attaching the CB Summary (which one can cut-and-paste into the CB to get the full version).

Batin, The Raven's Shadow Blade

Batin is a weapon for his Queen; a master of the arts of all places and time. Batin seems more reserved than his more driven kin, but that is an illusion. In fact, all of Batin's zest and zeal and drawn internally. Even at rest, Batin's mind is racing though mazes in his mind, paths only he can see, as he analyzes the flow and connectivity between everything. It is this mastery that enables him to twist the space between places, because, as Batin knows, all places are really one.

Batin made a name for himself as being the first in ages to unlock the secrets of the Subtle Ones, a lost arcane society that pierced the illusion of space. Hunted long ago by those hungry and jealous of their secret, the Subtle Ones vanished into history. Thought lost and dead, rumors persisted that some fragment of them still existed throughout the planes. How Batin found them and what he found he does not say, but only smiles an inscrutable smile and says, Something scattered to all places is easy to find when all places are one.

It was this unique mastery that brought Batin to the attention of his Queen, who has called him into service as one of personal tools of vengence. Though he has yet to see Her face, Her sorrowsworn guide his shadow blade and he follows.[sblock=CB Summary]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Batin, level 21
Shadar-kai, Swordmage, Ghost Blade, Punisher of the Gods
Build: Assault Swordmage
Swordmage Aegis: Aegis of Assault
Arcane Admixture: Arcane Admixture Cold
Quickened Spellcasting: Sword Burst
Arcane Admixture: Greenflame Blade

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 22, Con 14, Dex 16, Int 24, Wis 12, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 8.

AC: 41 Fort: 33 Reflex: 33 Will: 29
HP: 164 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 43

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +24, Insight +16, Athletics +21, Endurance +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Bluff +10, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +11, Heal +11, History +17, Intimidate +10, Nature +11, Perception +11, Religion +17, Stealth +15, Streetwise +10, Thievery +13

FEATS
Level 1: Devious Jaunt
Level 2: Improved Swordmage Warding
Level 4: Toughness
Level 6: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword)
Level 8: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 10: Intelligent Blademaster
Level 11: Double Aegis (retrained to Total Aegis at Level 21)
Level 12: Greater Swordmage Warding
Level 14: Shadowed Aegis
Level 16: Vigorous Assault
Level 18: Arcane Admixture
Level 20: Reserve Maneuver
Feat User Choice: Implement Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Feat User Choice: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 21: Quickened Spellcasting

POWERS
Swordmage at-will 1: Greenflame Blade
Swordmage at-will 1: Sword Burst
Reserve Maneuver: Necromantic Disruption
Swordmage daily 1: Frost Backlash
Swordmage daily 15: Burning Mantle (replaces Enervating Slash)
Swordmage daily 19: Planar Shock (replaces Frost Backlash)
Swordmage daily 5: Enervating Slash
Swordmage daily 9: Hellspike Assault
Swordmage encounter 1: Sword of Sigils
Swordmage encounter 13: Acid Burst Blade (replaces Spikes of Agony)
Swordmage encounter 17: Firelasher's Lunge (replaces Sword of Sigils)
Swordmage encounter 3: Dual Lightning Strike
Swordmage encounter 7: Spikes of Agony
Swordmage utility 10: Impenetrable Warding
Swordmage utility 16: Unerring Parry
Swordmage utility 2: Dimensional Warp
Swordmage utility 6: Armathor's Step

ITEMS
Guardian's Cape +4, Magic Feyleather Armor +5, Planestrider Boots (paragon tier), Rapidstrike Bracers (paragon tier), Belt of Vigor (paragon tier), Potion of Vitality (paragon tier) (2), Adventurer's Kit, Jagged Bastard sword +5
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======[/sblock]
The only non-book things are the race (and its associated feats) from Dr372 and Punisher of the Gods also from Dr372. Feedback would be welcome on the build or the background (especially to tie better with other PCs). Let me know your thoughts!

Last edited:

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Looks pretty cool! I like the cryptic personality - fits arcane very well. It is the art of secret knowledge, is it not? :)

For Sarenax, here's an outline of what I was thinking for his background.

Upon his birth, his black scales marked him as different from the rest of his small tribe. They were superstitious, pronounced him a 'curse', and exiled him while he was still very young. Even though the tribal elders based the decision solely on his coloring, they were partially correct. Sarenax was chosen before his birth by the Raven Queen to become her agent, to bring the sweet embrace of oblivion upon some entity, though the identity of that entity is still unknown to Sarenax.

Over the course of his adult life Sarenax has learned to channel the Queen's power, becoming a deadly vessel of the final sleep and earning a reputation as such. When his black scythe appears in his hands whoever faces him knows their doom has been pronounced - death's agent has come. That is, if they see him coming.

Also, I have an experiment. You say that copying that summary into the CB should generate the right character. "Well, it's just a bunch of text," I say to myself. "I don't have the CB, but what if I copied my stuff over what stonegod posted?" So, here's the experiment: someone paste this into the CB and see if it gives you Sarenax ;)
[sblock=Sarenax for the CB]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Sarenax the Reaper, level 21
Dragonborn, Cleric, Angelic Avenger, Harbinger of Doom
Build: Battle Cleric

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 24, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 20, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 12.

AC: 37 Fort: 32 Reflex: 29 Will: 31
HP: 140 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 36

TRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +18, History +17, Insight +20, Religion +15, Stealth +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +13, Arcana +10, Athletics +17, Diplomacy +13, Dungeoneering +15, Endurance +11, Heal +15, Intimidate +15, Nature +15, Perception +15, Streetwise +13, Thievery +13

FEATS
Level 1: Toughness
Level 2: Armor Proficiency (Scale)
Level 4: Skill Training (Stealth)
Level 6: Durable
Level 8: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 10: Raven Queen's Blessing
Level 11: Lightning Reflexes (retrained to Opportune Reflexes at Level 21)
Level 12: Armor Specialization (Scale)
Level 14: Uncanny Dodge
Level 16: Skill Focus (Stealth)
Level 18: Restful Healing
Level 20: Secret Stride
Feat User Choice: Implement Expertise (Holy Symbol)
Feat User Choice: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 21: Epic Resurgence

POWERS
Cleric at-will 1: Righteous Brand
Cleric at-will 1: Priest's Shield
Cleric daily 1: Avenging Flame
Cleric daily 15: Holy Spark (replaces Avenging Flame)
Cleric daily 19: Indomitable Spirit (replaces Rune of Peace)
Cleric daily 5: Rune of Peace
Cleric daily 9: Divine Power
Cleric encounter 1: Healing Strike
Cleric encounter 13: Inspiring Strike (replaces Healing Strike)
Cleric encounter 17: Blinding Light (replaces Split the Sky)
Cleric encounter 3: Split the Sky
Cleric encounter 7: Strengthen the Faithful
Cleric utility 10: Mass Cure Light Wounds
Cleric utility 16: Divine Armor
Cleric utility 2: Bless
Cleric utility 6: Bastion of Health

ITEMS
Cloak of Displacement +4, Imposter's Nagascale Armor +5, Gloves of Storing, Jagged Fullblade +5, Distance Javelin +3, Black Feather of the Raven Queen +3
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======[/sblock]

Last edited:

stonegod

Also, I have an experiment. You say that copying that summary into the CB should generate the right character. "Well, it's just a bunch of text," I say to myself. "I don't have the CB, but what if I copied my stuff over what stonegod posted?" So, here's the experiment: someone paste this into the CB and see if it gives you Sarenax ;)
Mostly works. You didn't save your write your actual final stats (the ones you wrote above don't match the stat block you posted earlier) and you mispelled a few items in your equipment, but otherwise looks good. It misses a few things such as which dragonbreath you chose; the summary does not seem to have a place for this.

stonegod

Tweaked Batin: Swapped out Arcane Reach for Arcane Admixture. Batin has only one close power (even if it is at will) and I was concerned that his other at will being a fire attack would be nerfed too often, so its now cold and fire.

covaithe

Explorer
lvl 15 attack spell shunt between worlds from dragon 366 (in my spellbook)
lvl 10 utility spell repelling shield from PH heroes series 1 (in my spellbook)
lvl 10 utility spell feywild spellsurge from dragon 366 (prepared)
lvl 1 at-will spell chilling cloud from PH heroes series 1 (prepared)

yes

Cabana said:
Teleport Catcher - Dragon Magazine 366 (do I have access?)

yes

Cabana said:
The Lich transformation was recent, however my wizard has been preparing for a long time. Would my character meet the year requirement, or will he have to keep expending surges to continue his rituals?

If he has had the ritual going for a year, do I need to spend the costs out of my gold?

I think I covered this already, but just for completeness: no, you don't have to keep paying surges. Yes, you have to pay the component cost.

I'd like the Eladrin ring of passage from P1 king of the trollhaunt warrens. Covaithe, is this item allowed?

yes

Am I considered Fey or Undead?

Both, I should think. Am I missing something?

is the Undead Servitor ritual from Open Grave an accessible ritual? I think it would be funny to have an undead butler...

Yes

EDIT: also rituals I'd like from dragon 366; conceal object, and bolster object, for obvious phylactery reasons...

yes

The only non-book things are the race (and its associated feats) from Dr372 and Punisher of the Gods also from Dr372. Feedback would be welcome on the build or the background (especially to tie better with other PCs). Let me know your thoughts!

Still thinking about these.

CaBaNa

First Post
The description for Archlich never specifies that I receive the undead keyword, nor does it say that I am undead for effects that relate to creature origin.

Don't get me wrong, not having to eat, breathe, or worry about ambient temperature would be great! :devil:I don't mind to be both fey and undead at all.

Except for when Sarenax Turns Undead and blows me to kingdom come. ;)

Toss up, you're the DM so you get to make the call. What are Orelal "Massacre" Lunareth's creature origin keywords? (finally decided on a name.)

I'll post The character sheet as soon as I get access to my Windows side, :rant:mac...

Insight

Adventurer
Hey guys,

I'm considering running a PbP E1 myself, so if you don't mind, I'd like to lurk and see how yours goes, especially the character creation part, which I am dreading at the moment.

Happy gaming!

Remove ads