• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[4e] covaithe's E1: Death's Reach

CaBaNa

First Post
[sblock=Context]
So, here's my idea (a defender, since there were none): A Shadar-Kai Assaulting Swordmage/Ghost Blade/Punisher of the Gods. Essentially, a phasing/insubstantial teleporting machine. I'm attaching the CB Summary (which one can cut-and-paste into the CB to get the full version).

Batin, The Raven's Shadow Blade

Batin is a weapon for his Queen; a master of the arts of all places and time. Batin seems more reserved than his more driven kin, but that is an illusion. In fact, all of Batin's zest and zeal and drawn internally. Even at rest, Batin's mind is racing though mazes in his mind, paths only he can see, as he analyzes the flow and connectivity between everything. It is this mastery that enables him to twist the space between places, because, as Batin knows, all places are really one.

Batin made a name for himself as being the first in ages to unlock the secrets of the Subtle Ones, a lost arcane society that pierced the illusion of space. Hunted long ago by those hungry and jealous of their secret, the Subtle Ones vanished into history. Thought lost and dead, rumors persisted that some fragment of them still existed throughout the planes. How Batin found them and what he found he does not say, but only smiles an inscrutable smile and says, Something scattered to all places is easy to find when all places are one.

It was this unique mastery that brought Batin to the attention of his Queen, who has called him into service as one of personal tools of vengence. Though he has yet to see Her face, Her sorrowsworn guide his shadow blade and he follows.[sblock=CB Summary]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Batin, level 21
Shadar-kai, Swordmage, Ghost Blade, Punisher of the Gods
Build: Assault Swordmage
Swordmage Aegis: Aegis of Assault
Arcane Admixture: Arcane Admixture Cold
Quickened Spellcasting: Sword Burst
Arcane Admixture: Greenflame Blade

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 22, Con 14, Dex 16, Int 24, Wis 12, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 8.

AC: 41 Fort: 33 Reflex: 33 Will: 29
HP: 164 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 43

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +24, Insight +16, Athletics +21, Endurance +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Bluff +10, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +11, Heal +11, History +17, Intimidate +10, Nature +11, Perception +11, Religion +17, Stealth +15, Streetwise +10, Thievery +13

FEATS
Level 1: Devious Jaunt
Level 2: Improved Swordmage Warding
Level 4: Toughness
Level 6: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword)
Level 8: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 10: Intelligent Blademaster
Level 11: Double Aegis (retrained to Total Aegis at Level 21)
Level 12: Greater Swordmage Warding
Level 14: Shadowed Aegis
Level 16: Vigorous Assault
Level 18: Arcane Admixture
Level 20: Reserve Maneuver
Feat User Choice: Implement Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Feat User Choice: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 21: Quickened Spellcasting

POWERS
Swordmage at-will 1: Greenflame Blade
Swordmage at-will 1: Sword Burst
Reserve Maneuver: Necromantic Disruption
Swordmage daily 1: Frost Backlash
Swordmage daily 15: Burning Mantle (replaces Enervating Slash)
Swordmage daily 19: Planar Shock (replaces Frost Backlash)
Swordmage daily 5: Enervating Slash
Swordmage daily 9: Hellspike Assault
Swordmage encounter 1: Sword of Sigils
Swordmage encounter 13: Acid Burst Blade (replaces Spikes of Agony)
Swordmage encounter 17: Firelasher's Lunge (replaces Sword of Sigils)
Swordmage encounter 3: Dual Lightning Strike
Swordmage encounter 7: Spikes of Agony
Swordmage utility 10: Impenetrable Warding
Swordmage utility 16: Unerring Parry
Swordmage utility 2: Dimensional Warp
Swordmage utility 6: Armathor's Step

ITEMS
Guardian's Cape +4, Magic Feyleather Armor +5, Planestrider Boots (paragon tier), Rapidstrike Bracers (paragon tier), Belt of Vigor (paragon tier), Potion of Vitality (paragon tier) (2), Adventurer's Kit, Jagged Bastard sword +5
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======[/sblock]
The only non-book things are the race (and its associated feats) from Dr372 and Punisher of the Gods also from Dr372. Feedback would be welcome on the build or the background (especially to tie better with other PCs). Let me know your thoughts!

Looks pretty cool! I like the cryptic personality - fits arcane very well. It is the art of secret knowledge, is it not? :)

For Sarenax, here's an outline of what I was thinking for his background.

Upon his birth, his black scales marked him as different from the rest of his small tribe. They were superstitious, pronounced him a 'curse', and exiled him while he was still very young. Even though the tribal elders based the decision solely on his coloring, they were partially correct. Sarenax was chosen before his birth by the Raven Queen to become her agent, to bring the sweet embrace of oblivion upon some entity, though the identity of that entity is still unknown to Sarenax.

Over the course of his adult life Sarenax has learned to channel the Queen's power, becoming a deadly vessel of the final sleep and earning a reputation as such. When his black scythe appears in his hands whoever faces him knows their doom has been pronounced - death's agent has come. That is, if they see him coming.

Also, I have an experiment. You say that copying that summary into the CB should generate the right character. "Well, it's just a bunch of text," I say to myself. "I don't have the CB, but what if I copied my stuff over what stonegod posted?" So, here's the experiment: someone paste this into the CB and see if it gives you Sarenax ;)
[sblock=Sarenax for the CB]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Sarenax the Reaper, level 21
Dragonborn, Cleric, Angelic Avenger, Harbinger of Doom
Build: Battle Cleric

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 24, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 20, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 12.

AC: 37 Fort: 32 Reflex: 29 Will: 31
HP: 140 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 36

TRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +18, History +17, Insight +20, Religion +15, Stealth +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +13, Arcana +10, Athletics +17, Diplomacy +13, Dungeoneering +15, Endurance +11, Heal +15, Intimidate +15, Nature +15, Perception +15, Streetwise +13, Thievery +13

FEATS
Level 1: Toughness
Level 2: Armor Proficiency (Scale)
Level 4: Skill Training (Stealth)
Level 6: Durable
Level 8: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 10: Raven Queen's Blessing
Level 11: Lightning Reflexes (retrained to Opportune Reflexes at Level 21)
Level 12: Armor Specialization (Scale)
Level 14: Uncanny Dodge
Level 16: Skill Focus (Stealth)
Level 18: Restful Healing
Level 20: Secret Stride
Feat User Choice: Implement Expertise (Holy Symbol)
Feat User Choice: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 21: Epic Resurgence

POWERS
Cleric at-will 1: Righteous Brand
Cleric at-will 1: Priest's Shield
Cleric daily 1: Avenging Flame
Cleric daily 15: Holy Spark (replaces Avenging Flame)
Cleric daily 19: Indomitable Spirit (replaces Rune of Peace)
Cleric daily 5: Rune of Peace
Cleric daily 9: Divine Power
Cleric encounter 1: Healing Strike
Cleric encounter 13: Inspiring Strike (replaces Healing Strike)
Cleric encounter 17: Blinding Light (replaces Split the Sky)
Cleric encounter 3: Split the Sky
Cleric encounter 7: Strengthen the Faithful
Cleric utility 10: Mass Cure Light Wounds
Cleric utility 16: Divine Armor
Cleric utility 2: Bless
Cleric utility 6: Bastion of Health

ITEMS
Cloak of Displacement +4, Impostor's Nagascale Armor +5, Gloves of Storing, Jagged Fullblade +5, Distance Javelin +3, Black Feather of the Raven Queen +3
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======[/sblock]

[/sblock]

[sblock=Orelal "Massacre" Lunareth]

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Orelal "Massacre" Lunareth, level 21
Eladrin, Wizard, Divine Oracle, Archlich
Arcane Implement Mastery: Orb of Imposition
Arcane Admixture: Arcane Admixture Thunder
Birth - Among Another Race: Among Another Race (Gnome)
Arcane Admixture: Chilling Cloud
Quickened Spellcasting: Thunderwave

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 15, Int 28, Wis 20, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 11, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 10.

AC: 35 Fort: 26 Reflex: 34 Will: 35
HP: 102 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 26

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +25, Arcana +26, History +26, Stealth +19, Insight +20, Religion +24

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Bluff +11, Diplomacy +11, Dungeoneering +15, Endurance +11, Heal +15, Intimidate +11, Nature +15, Streetwise +11, Thievery +12, Athletics +10

FEATS
Wizard: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Enlarge Spell
Level 2: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 4: Improved Initiative
Level 6: Arcane Familiar
Level 8: Twist the Arcane Fabric (retrained to Fey Step Trailblazer at Level 20)
Level 10: Initiate of the Faith
Level 11: Destructive Wizardry
Level 12: Durable
Level 14: Paragon Defenses
Level 16: Resounding Thunder
Level 18: Arcane Admixture
Level 20: War Wizardry (retrained to Quickened Spellcasting at Level 21)
Level 21: Spell Accuracy

POWERS
Wizard at-will 1: Thunderwave
Wizard at-will 1: Chilling Cloud
Wizard daily 1: Horrid Whispers
Wizard daily 15: Prismatic Beams (replaces Grasp of the Grave)
Wizard daily 15 Spellbook: Shunt Between Worlds
Wizard daily 19: Evard's Black Tentacles (replaces Horrid Whispers)
Wizard daily 19 Spellbook: Disintegrate
Wizard daily 5: Grasp of the Grave
Wizard daily 9: Face of Death
Wizard daily 9 Spellbook: Visions of Ruin
Wizard encounter 1: Grasping Shadows
Wizard encounter 13: Orbmaster's Umbral Assault (replaces Grasping Shadows)
Wizard encounter 17: Furnace of Sand (replaces Twist of Space)
Wizard encounter 3: Color Spray
Wizard encounter 7: Twist of Space
Wizard utility 10: Feywild Spell Surge
Wizard utility 10 Spellbook: Repelling Shield
Wizard utility 16: Displacement
Wizard utility 16 Spellbook: Clever Escape
Wizard utility 2: Shield
Wizard utility 2 Spellbook: Expeditious Retreat
Wizard utility 6: Wizard's Escape
Wizard utility 6 Spellbook: Dispel Magic

ITEMS
Spellbook, Robe of Eyes Efreetweave Armor +5, Cloak of Distortion +4, Orb of Mental Dominion +5, Carcanet of Psychic Schism (paragon tier), Belt of Vigor (heroic tier), Orb of Inescapable Consequences +2, Boots of Eagerness (heroic tier), Eladrin Ring of Passage (paragon tier), Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (heroic tier), Symbol of Hope +1
RITUALS
Forbiddance, Planar Portal, Guards and Wards, Create Teleportation Circle, Reverse Portal, Conceal Object, Remove Affliction, Raise Dead, Linked Portal, Analyze Portal, Undead Servitor, Speak with Dead, Leomund's Secret Chest, Fey Passage, Disenchant Magic Item, Cure Disease, Bolster Object, Knock, Arcane Lock, Preservation, Secret Page, Make Whole, Comprehend Language, Brew Potion
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======

[/sblock]This is before I spend a bunch of gold on Rituals.

[sblock=Massacre's Background]

Sharp but eccentric, Orelal introduces himself as Massacre and rarely, if ever, goes by anything else. Sometimes mentioning he is going to propose to the Raven Queen, but often professing his love of Her Dark Majesty.

Raised in the Shadowfell, as a war wizard, Orelal lived a normal Shadar-Kai life, even though he was an Eladrin. For a decade, his surrogate parents put him to work on the battlements. A single spell job, blasting waves of thunderous arcane energy to push enemies back.

Thirsting for more, Orelal raised in the ranks quickly, eventually earning front line privileges, and learning a wide array of debilitating spells. In one particularly pitched battle, Orelal mentally dominated the enemy, one company at a time. The site was refereed to as Orelal's Massacre, though most of the actual slaying was carried out by his compatriots.

That day, Massacre swore his everlasting Love to Her Dark Majesty the Raven Queen, and dedicated the victory to Her name. When the Goddess answered, her voice fragmented his mind and Orelal began seeing in the future, present, and past.

He spent the next portion of his life searching for something to help him differentiate between future, present, and past. At length, he found an old sage, who crafted Massacre a carcanet that would help his fragmented mind.
Now Massacre can choose to experience all moments at once, or to experience the moment to moment.

The Oracle Wizard reaffirmed his mission, to accrue enough power to become worthy of Her Dark Majesty's love. Mastering his affliction was only a first step, accruing the power to be worthy of her Dark Majesty would come, but with time. Massacre came to the conclusion that the most important aspect was spending eternity with his beloved.

Massacre found a way... Lichdom! Never one to be beholden to others, Orelal rejected Orcus' dark offer. Then went behind the Prince of Undead's back to find another way. Orelal prepared a phylactery, and sealed it in his tower, layering enchantments over both the tower and his box of life. Finally he placed a teleportation circle inside, and ward it against intrusion as well.

Two years have passed since Massacre Lunareth completed his ritual, drawing only upon his own arcane energy, and the divine guidance of his Dark Lady. In that time he has sunbleached his bones, strengthened his enchantments, and requested a task that could prove his love of Her Majesty the Raven Queen.

[/sblock]

I'd like to have Batin be Massacre's councilor in dealing with the brain meltdown. Batin seems to have mastered it, while Orelal had it forced on him. Orelal grew up with Shadar-Kai in the shadowfell, did he grow up with Batin?

I wouldn't mind Sarenax being a good friend, or even better nemesis, of Orelal. I think it would be fun for them to clash, some Epic twist that Sarenax was destined to kill Orelal, or whatever...

EDIT: Does anyone plan on having a mount?

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Toss up, you're the DM so you get to make the call. What are Orelal "Massacre" Lunareth's creature origin keywords? (finally decided on a name.)
Nice name! Something to think about: the Baelnorn (eladrin lich, Open Grave p162) Oni used in the Monster Mash was a "fey humanoid (undead), eladrin". That, to me, is about the closest monster to what Orelal is. And turn undead is only +20 vs. Will (until I get a Holy Avenger! Have I mentioned I really, really want a Holy Avenger?), you'll be fine :p

On a different note, I was wondering if you might have some suggestions for rituals for Sarenax, since you've been combing through them already. Or any particular gaps in Orelal's repertoire that would be good for Sarenax to fill in?
Mostly works. You didn't save your write your actual final stats (the ones you wrote above don't match the stat block you posted earlier) and you mispelled a few items in your equipment, but otherwise looks good. It misses a few things such as which dragonbreath you chose; the summary does not seem to have a place for this.
I'm not sure what you mean about the scores. The final scores do match what I posted earlier, and the "starting ability scores" aren't supposed to account for race, which they don't. Unless you meant skills or defenses or something like that - if that's what you're referring to, I did boost Stealth a little bit since I first posted him. And I might have screwed up somewhere in the skills.

I was also wondering about the dragon breath thing, but since I didn't have anything to go on for that, I just left it out. Apparently there is nothing to put in the summary for it, though, so that's fine.

Now, items ... the only one I can find with a definite typo is Imposter's Nagascale Armor - I had spelled Imposter with an 'o' instead of 'e'. Are there any others that didn't work? Just curious, you guys don't have to humor me if you don't want to :)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
I'd like to have Batin be Massacre's councilor in dealing with the brain meltdown. Batin seems to have mastered it, while Orelal had it forced on him. Orelal grew up with Shadar-Kai in the shadowfell, did he grow up with Batin?
Batin could have help provide Massacre with some mental exercises as part of his "rehabilitation", though he could not have made his headband. It might have been a relic of the Subtle Ones, though. I'm not sure how centralized the Shadar-Kai community is in the Shadowfell, but it is likely they ran into each other beforehand as well.

Now, items ... the only one I can find with a definite typo is Imposter's Nagascale Armor - I had spelled Imposter with an 'o' instead of 'e'. Are there any others that didn't work? Just curious, you guys don't have to humor me if you don't want to :)
The Naga armor and the gloves of storying didn't take, and it didn't equip the fullblade as it thinks you don't have proficiency (though angelic avenger gives it to you (likely I have to select it elsewhere).

As for stats: I'll have to double check.

CaBaNa

First Post
Do you have to pay for rituals at higher level?

I know wizards get several for free, do clerics?

Either way here is a short list of some highlights

Chamber of Vulnerability, dragonborn only basically...

True Sending

Soulguard

any divination... View Object, Discern Lies...

Plane Shift/Planar Portal

Waterborn

Time Ravager

Telepathic Bond

Ritual of Retrieval

Anything that Orelal doesn't have, that is versatile, or likely to be used.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
The only free rituals clerics get are the two at 1st level, so yes, I have to pay for any rituals I take. Thanks for the list, I'll look into those while I go searching for some nice rituals :)

covaithe

Explorer
*cough*Raise Dead*cough*

Did somebody hear something? :angel:

On a more serious note, it looks as though you guys are gravitating towards having your characters already know each other and have some history at the start. That's fine with me, and saves me a bit of work with the ever-awkward "why should I work with you again?" scene. I'd toyed with the idea of asking you guys to start as an adventure company with long experience together, and maybe asking for a suitably gaudy adventuring history, but thought I'd wait and see where your backgrounds went first. Maybe that's still a possibility? I don't want to impose it on you guys, but you seem to be drifting that way naturally.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
*cough*Raise Dead*cough*

Did somebody hear something? :angel:
Er ... right. I totally didn't forget about that one. Nope. Definitely didn't do that. :eek:

Well, having an established history does help with that awkward meeting scene. At least with epic characters there's a good chance they've all heard of each other.

I wouldn't mind having an established history, though an idea that occurred to me was that those who have affiliations with the Raven Queen could be "guided" into the party - you did mention that the Raven Queen was especially appropriate for this adventure, right? If something like that would work for you, cov, I think it'd be kind of cool. But even doing that it's possible to have personal histories with each other. Maybe we took a break and the ol' girl (that is, Her Dark Majesty the Raven Queen) is organizing a reunion tour? ;)

CaBaNa

First Post
I've decided which rituals will be cast as part of my background, in no particular order they are; Forbiddance, Guards and Wards, Safe Guard, Conceal Object, Bolster Object, Preservation, Undead Servitor, Leomund's Secret Chest, Mordenkainens Joining, Create Teleportation Circle (9 squares).

Total Cost 23,725.00.

Leaving me with 7,520 to buy ritual components, consumables, and other mundane items. (did I miss a limit on consumables?)

This will take place at Orelal Massacre's domain of dread. A 30 square by 30 square by 20 square area in the Shadowfell, located between Septidicus and Moil. In Massacre's domain, a thick fog blankets the ground, and a maze attempts to block and redirect intruders out. Unlike other Domains of Dread in which one becomes trapped upon entering, Orelal built his domain to expunge infiltrators.

In the middle of Massacre's domain stands an 18 square tall tower, with a base that is 11 square by 11 square. Inside of which are Orelal Massacre Lunareth's most prized possessions. His phylactery, a number of his arcane texts, his teleportation circle, and his beloved butler, Igor. The perfect permanent home.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Well, here's the rituals I've picked so far. I have about 19,000 gp left (after getting a pile of ritual components) to spend on either rituals or miscellaneous magic items, so I could still buy a few more rituals if anyone thinks there's something missing. Those high level rituals are stinkin' expensive though! Keep in mind that I'll need to buy more components if it's a high-cost ritual, as well.

1: Comprehend Language, Gentle Repose
2: Endure Elements, Last Sight Vision, Preservation, Water Walk
4: Enchant Magic Item, Hand of Fate, Transfer Enchantment
5: Brew Potion, Magic Circle
6: Cure Disease, Discern Lies, Disenchant Magic Item, Sending, Speak with Dead, Wyvern Watch
8: Linked Portal, Raise Dead, Remove Affliction, Status
10: Consult Mystic Sages
12: Shadow Walk
14: Waterborn
16: Far Sending, Consult Oracle

I'd like to get something like Soulguard (from FRPG), but the ritual costs 20,000 gp plus 5000 gp in components each time it's cast. I can't find much of an alternative either, unfortunately.

True Sending is just as bad - 25,000 gp for the ritual, 4000 gp component cost. I figure Far Sending will work (4200 gp for the ritual, 800 gp component cost, Manual of the Planes) - the only difference between Far and True is 25 vs. 50 words, and 10 mins vs. 30 mins casting time, respectively. Also picked up just plain old Sending for when I know the recipient is on the same plane, because it's cheaper ;)

For high level check-based rituals I think Orelal is the better choice as a caster, especially for Arcane rituals. Two reasons for this: he gets to pick some freebies (which could be up to 40-50,000 gp savings!), and his Arcana skill is +16 higher than mine. Orelal's Religion is also +9 higher than mine. I can only expect mediocre results from check-based rituals (+10 for Arcana, +15 for Religion and Nature, and +20 for Heal), whereas Orelal could get exceptional results. Because of this, several of the Arcana rituals I picked are intended more as back-ups - if Orelal goes to dust, for example, Sarenax could cast Linked Portal and get us back to Orelal's tower in a pinch.

Also, I think we should pool resources if we want the components for a Raise Dead before we start - component cost is 50,000 gp for an epic level character. :-S Both Orelal and Sarenax know Raise Dead, so either can cast it. I figure Orelal would be the best one to leave the components with, though, because if he gets killed he just reforms the next day with all his possessions (which would include the ritual components). Although that would leave us in an interesting situation if Orelal went to dust and someone else died - we'd have to wait a day for Orelal to reform to get the components to raise the other dead character, and then spend another day raising that person.

Edit: As an aside, you're making my job harder, Cabana! I can't even let Orelal go unconscious, or he's gone for the day! :confused:;)

Edit 2, Re: Raise Dead reagents: perhaps it would be best to use something like Leomund's Secret Chest with the components inside, both of us using the same chest as the focus? We could even have a scroll or two of Leomund's Secret Chest spread amongst the other party members, and a scroll of Raise Dead inside the chest in case both of us happen to go down. What do you think? That whole plan would only cost a total of 1620 gp for the chest, both of us learning the ritual, the Raise Dead scroll in the chest, and two Leomund's Secret Chest scrolls. It would probably be a good idea to have another one or two Linked Portal scrolls amongst the rest of the party as well, if we're using Orelal's tower as a base point.

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
Orelal hasn't seen anyone since his transformation, and it's been a bit of a secret as it's been his weakest moments in a long time, expending healing surges and such.

When everyone else's characters meet Massacre, it will be the first time he has met other creatures as an Archlich.

Orelal will have to make a password or some sort of designation in order for the party to get into his home... The warding is extensive.

How does the group feel about needing to wear an item of some sort?
Who plans on having mounts? It is important for how large I make my teleportation circle. I need to know how large your mount is, in squares.

Orelal already has a chest... but I'm open to the idea depending on how Covaithe takes it.

If we go with the super crew getting back together for the Queens business, we could have a chest that each member contributed a significant item to it. That could be our focus. I have a few ideas for other things that could go in the chest... I'll put it all together, and get it down in a post later.

Last edited:

Remove ads