• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[4e] IG's Herald of Discord [RECRUITING CLOSED]

Shayuri

First Post
Reveille's to-hit numbers are off...at level 2, your to-hit is attribute bonus + 1.

So you'd be +3 to hit with Con powers, and +4 to hit with Cha.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Hmm.. I've always considered a move action built-in to a charge, a move an an attack; a move and then a charge action, effectively two moves and an attack, seems a bit much to me. How do you all play in your other campaigns?

As written, as best I can tell, you can't do anything after a charge, but it doesn't say you can't do anything before a charge. And since charge is defined as a standard action, technically one could use a move action before the charge and still perform the charge action, which includes another move. Though I'm not convinced this is the intent of the rules.

But in any other case you wouldn't be able to do anything like this.

You can do a double-move, but no attack.
You can flat out run, but only at your speed +2
But as long as you swing a sword at the end of it, you can charge and get a double move plus an attack?

I'd like some discussion on this, please.

Oni

First Post
I would consider it fine as written for a few reasons.

It's limited to a basic attack.

Charges are meant to cover distance, if you make it use both a standard and move action it won't cover any more distance than simply moving then attacking with an at will or better(which is probably better in most cases than a basic attack) and puts a lot more limitations on that movement (most expediant route to the closest square you can attack from) for a +1 to hit.

The no actions after seems a bit odd at first but guess at the intent of the designers was that a charge is a reckless maneuver and it is to prevent simply shifting out of danger afterwards.

A simple double move gives you a lot more leeway in where you can move, i.e. avoid dangerous squares.

running gives a penalty to attack, but only after running so you could attack first then run with no penalty other than to attacks made on others turns (i.e. inturrupts and opportunity attcks) If you're double moving just to cover distance you could double run. Which will be at least 4 more squares than moving and charging (charge stops when you get close enough to attack) and with more leeway.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads