• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Paper?

This is an odd question but does anyone know what sort of paper wotc uses in it's 4e books? I have looked at alot of gloss high quality paper, but they all wrinkle way easier than wotc's stuff. Anyone know what they use? Thanks.

Wik

First Post
You're right. That is an odd question.

;)

I honestly have no idea. I *CAN* say that the ink smears a little too readily, which gets kind of annoying. I think it has something to do with the white backgrounds. Anyone who knows anything about printing would probably be able to fill me in.

Mind you, it's only very mildly annoying, and probably a worthwhile tradeoff.

It's fine asking here, because there may be a printshop geek in residence.

But I'd take the book around to your local printers. Any metro area in the USA of at least 100,000 people will have 3 or 4 dedicated printshops with pros whose job it is to know this stuff. At worst they will be able to give you sample books you can flip through.

ourchair

First Post
It's fine asking here, because there may be a printshop geek in residence.

But I'd take the book around to your local printers. Any metro area in the USA of at least 100,000 people will have 3 or 4 dedicated printshops with pros whose job it is to know this stuff. At worst they will be able to give you sample books you can flip through.
Friends who work in the glossy magazine business may also know. I bet I could take my 4e books to the creative director of the magazine I edit and he would know.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Back when 4E came out, the Rousemaster General posted with regards to the paper weight used. This post here on ENW is a crosspost from here on the WotC boards. The short version is that 60# Somerset Matte (612 PPI) was used, although they bumped up to an 80# stock for later releases (specifically H2/H3).

He (and several other posters) also address and test smudging issues.

Remove ads