• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E tidbits from WotC blogs (Updated:David Noonan on Social Interactions)

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I wonder if rolling low level monks into the fighter as maneuvers, and higher level monk features as prestige-class (or 4e equivalent), counts as the monk being in 4e? i.e. not as we know it, but we'd recognize it when we see it.

DonTadow

First Post
I haven't heard anything about multiple attacks either. I'd love it if they did something with this. 3+ attacks is so time consuming at higher levels. I'd deal with more damage over more dice rolls.

Grog

First Post
DonTadow said:
I haven't heard anything about multiple attacks either. I'd love it if they did something with this. 3+ attacks is so time consuming at higher levels. I'd deal with more damage over more dice rolls.

Actually, iterative attacks were never a problem for my group, or particularly time-consuming, so long as no one was dual-wielding. Dual-wielding was a freakin' nightmare, especially at high levels.

But, even though I don't have any problem with iterative attacks, I'll be happy to see them go if it helps make combat more mobile.

Glyfair

Explorer
Eric Anondson said:
I wonder if rolling low level monks into the fighter as maneuvers, and higher level monk features as prestige-class (or 4e equivalent), counts as the monk being in 4e? i.e. not as we know it, but we'd recognize it when we see it.

One thing Logan has said in another thread - the only classes *confirmed* as being in the PHB are the fighter, rogue, cleric and wizard.

That means the monk may be in 4E, but not core. Given we now know there are only 8 classes, I think that it is unlikely the monk is in there (far too niche for only 8 classes).

Glyfair

Explorer
For the record, I'm going to stop updating the main post. Just far too long now.

Mike Mearls has posted a new blog entry with interesting bits on Shadowfell.

Mike Mearls' blog said:
Here's what I'm doing today:

Came in at 8 AM, worked a bit on Keep on the Shadowfel.

At 9, met with Bill to talk about the adventure, took a ton of notes.

10 - 12, worked on the Shadowfel outline. Basically, I made a big table in MS Word and used that to plan out each page. We need to do maps and art for the book soon, so it's important to plan out what we need to depict and what maps we need.

The adventure is designed to show off all sorts of 4e stuff. It serves as a quick start guide, but while parts of it are there to teach rules, it's a full-blown D&D adventure. You'll need to roleplay, figure out puzzles, out-think the bad guys, and everything else you need to do in D&D. Oh yeah, and there's tons of monsters to fight.

I'll probably be here until 6 tonight. This afternoon has a meeting on CENSORED and mechanics for ALSO CENSORED. One of those two went from a pile of no work into a pile of maybe a lot of work. The other one was mostly solved yesterday, but that assumes that everyone in the department thinks we're not being stupid WRT our solution.

Today, the next set of dungeon tiles arrives in the product room. At WotC, employees have a budget of product points they get to spend each quarter on stuff we make. I'm planning on getting some tiles and minis for myself, plus I need to figure out how many points I have available to buy stuff for trades. With luck, I can lure the dudes at Paizo to trade me some of their cool-looking GameMastery modules for some WotC swag.

Oh, and who has four boosters of Desert of Desolation on his desk? Your friendly neighborhood lead developer, that's who.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Glyfair said:
One thing Logan has said in another thread - the only classes *confirmed* as being in the PHB are the fighter, rogue, cleric and wizard.

That means the monk may be in 4E, but not core. Given we now know there are only 8 classes, I think that it is unlikely the monk is in there (far too niche for only 8 classes).

We DON'T know there are only eight classes.

Nebulous

Legend
Today, the next set of dungeon tiles arrives in the product room. At WotC, employees have a budget of product points they get to spend each quarter on stuff we make. I'm planning on getting some tiles and minis for myself, plus I need to figure out how many points I have available to buy stuff for trades. With luck, I can lure the dudes at Paizo to trade me some of their cool-looking GameMastery modules for some WotC swag.

Oh, and who has four boosters of Desert of Desolation on his desk? Your friendly neighborhood lead developer, that's who.

Mearls, i'm so jealous! :mad: Those guys must be literally drowning in products.

variant

Adventurer
WotC_Logan said:
So what do you think the chances are that Monks are in and DR is out >_> *clings to frail hopes*

Very good.

Drop it and save it for later. It really does not fit in most campaigns, it is too oriental flavor. A spot in the book you plan to place the Psion would be much better place for it.

Remove ads