D&D 4E 4E wackiness escalation

Shadeydm

First Post
You make a good point, I would not be surprised to see material further down the road to allow for characters beyond level 30. There is certain logic to it despite how little we really know about the new game.

psionotic

I don't think that the power level of L14 now will map out to L30 after the conversion. 'Epic' has always meant 20+, and they wouldn't be using that term if those levels weren't, well, epic.

Besides, the Red Dragon combat sequence they have already announced would one shot a L14 party under the current rules (probably do the same to a L24 party).

The 'sweet spot' are the levels at which the designers think the game is currently fun, ie., the PCs have enough tricks to be interesting, but game breaking spells and abilities haven't come to dominate it yet. This is the 'sweet spot' they are trying to extend from 1-30, and shouldn't be confused with the power curve. That curve might be slightly smaller than it is now, (especially because L1 characters are going to be tougher) but we aren't going to be seeing L30 4e characters that are weaker than L15 3.5 characters, not by a long shot.

gizmo33

First Post
ruleslawyer said:
Not to pooh-pooh that (wonderfully eloquent, BTW!) post, but I do tend to think that 3e levels 21-30 have far less to do with Elric, Corum, and Conan and a whole lot more to do with Miracleman or the JLA.

I have never understood why people think that Conan is a 30th level DnD character other than the ELH says that he is IIRC. His capabilities and concerns are those of a mid-level DnD character IMO. He can probably kill a dozen fighters or so if the circumstances are just right, but he just doesn't walk into a city and think "I can kill every single inhabitant in here" the way a 30th level DnD character would. My best guess is that people think Conan is special, that people don't think 20th level characters are special anymore, and that is the only real consideration that's gone into this. It seems to me like it's an arms race, and hopefully 4E will exercise some restraint.

F4NBOY

First Post
gizmo33 said:
I have never understood why people think that Conan is a 30th level DnD character other than the ELH says that he is IIRC. His capabilities and concerns are those of a mid-level DnD character IMO. He can probably kill a dozen fighters or so if the circumstances are just right, but he just doesn't walk into a city and think "I can kill every single inhabitant in here" the way a 30th level DnD character would. My best guess is that people think Conan is special, that people don't think 20th level characters are special anymore, and that is the only real consideration that's gone into this. It seems to me like it's an arms race, and hopefully 4E will exercise some restraint.

I don't care what the mongoose said, to me Conan is probably a level 5-7 character.

Stone Dog

Adventurer
F4NBOY said:
I don't care what the mongoose said, to me Conan is probably a level 5-7 character.
Depends on what Conan you are talking about. Conan the king of Aquilonia might be significantly higher level. Does Mongoose say what period of Conan's career those stats represent?

hexgrid

Explorer
psionotic said:
'Epic' has always meant 20+, and they wouldn't be using that term if those levels weren't, well, epic.

Sure they would. Based on the changes we already know about, the 3e definition of the word 'epic' can hardly be considered safe. We can't even be sure of what they mean by 'core.'

Stone Dog

Adventurer
mmadsen said:
Only gamers would expect Conan the King to be a better fighter than a younger Conan in his prime...
I think I said higher level, not better fighter. If anybody has multiclassed in his day it is Conan.

Remove ads