• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4th Edition D&D

librarius_arcana

First Post
Hussar said:
However, that's a mistaken assumption. The changes between 3.0 and 3.5 are as extensive as the changes between 1e and 2e. Every class, many feats, many spells, and a fair chunk of the DMG and Monster Manual were reworked. I know, at first glance, there doesn't seem to be so many changes, but, after playing 3.5 for the past couple of years, I realize how extensive those changes really are.

An updated 3.5, call it 3.5 Revised, or whatever, would be a fairly extensive change as well.

The changes were minor and not worth making everyone rebuy all the books again and so soon after 3.0,

JustaPlayer

First Post
librarius_arcana said:
But by the same token, you are not going to want to buy the same system twice (as in 3.0 to 3.5) I don't think they will be making that mistake again
Perhaps, but the changes from 1e to 2e were enough to warrant the new system yet the game was still much the same. Thus the customers didn't feel as much shock and suffer the fracture it did between 2e and 3e.

At this time I'm really skeptical of any edition change. There are so many good companies producing great stuff out there that I don't see 3.xe/d20 going by the wayside. Therefore, I may just hang around in the 3.xe/d20 world.

schporto

First Post
librarius_arcana said:
Yeah but dude, do you really see WotC supporting this?, I don't think so,

Hussar I really like the idea of accepting/incorporating computers into the game. For prep and use by the DM in game. I'm not a big fan of laptops being used by all the players at the table. It takes away from the game, and I'm really not a fan of dice being rolled by computers. Heck, that's what the payers 'get' to do.

As for WotC supporting it, don't they already in a fashion? I mean they support DDO and Neverwinter nights don't they? No it's not the rules and the game, but the distribution method permits them to
1. Have some assurance to continued income.
2. Have a fair assurance against copyright violations.
Now I don't think DDO allows mods, but NWN did. So the third party folks could still be supported.
I'm not saying make DnD into a computer game. Just the copyright protection could work in a similar manner.
-cpd

Nightchilde-2

First Post
jmucchiello said:
I don't understand. Elaborate. What does the "Official Dungeons And Dragons" logo on the cover of the book do that would improve Buy The Numbers? If it makes the game exactly what you asked for why not use it? What is the impediment?

Because if it's official, then everyone (or most everyone) will use it. And I think the system would be better for it. And, partially because, I fairly despise the level system and would wish to see it officially go away.

And I have very..VERY...mixed feelings about the OGL, but this isn't the appropriate thread to discuss it. :D

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
schporto said:
Hussar I really like the idea of accepting/incorporating computers into the game. For prep and use by the DM in game.

Remember how much some people yelped (and still do gripe) about the addition of visual aids in the form of minis was restrictive and annoying? The same thing applies.

I'm all for creating separate tools that allow DMs to use computers to do their prep, and the like. But the game design should not assume those tools exist. COmputers should be an extension of the game, not a requirement of the game.

JustaPlayer

First Post
Nightchilde-2 said:
And, partially because, I fairly despise the level system and would wish to see it officially go away.
Well, at the point of losing that the game wouldn't be D&D any more. There are systems that already support this type of play. I don't see why people feel the need to change a system to be another system. If it went that way, it would very much lose the appeal to me and I think quite a few people.

painandgreed

First Post
JustaPlayer said:
Well, at the point of losing that the game wouldn't be D&D any more. There are systems that already support this type of play. I don't see why people feel the need to change a system to be another system. If it went that way, it would very much lose the appeal to me and I think quite a few people.

Ya, if you don't like the sacred cows, then you should just go someplace other than India.

fendrin

First Post
A fact of reality:
4th Ed will not have any fewer (official) suplements than 3.5 does (i'm ignoring 3.0 for the sake of simplicity). If a publishing company ceases to make books, they will cease to exist. Fact of the business.

This means that the hundreds of "useless" feats, spells, and PrCs will be back. Or something else will be in their place (2e had kits and spells, and probably more that I have willingly forgotten).

Given this, here is what I would like to see:
A classless (but not level-less) 'advanced' system that allows for total player control over the character. You start with a basic framework (i.e. d4 hit dice, 2+ int skill points, 1/2 BAB, etc.) and you get a certain number of 'points' or 'power-ups' to increase these abilities, as well as buy skills, feats, and what are currently class abilities. Monsters would be created using a similar system (racial HD would finally be equivalent to class HD, and LA would be no more than an unpleasant memory). A similar system could be used to createmagic items (similar to 3.x magic weapons and armor).

Then, after this has been developed, the core books could have pre-defined classes, monsters, and magic items, built out of the advanced system.

The advanced system could then be released later as a series of 'Player's Option' and 'DM's Option' type books.

In addition, splat books could present new options to be bought with your 'level points', as well as new pre-defined classes/monsters/items. Thus the splat books would be compatible with both the basic (pre-made stuff) and advanced (player/DM defined) variants.

IMO, this would present the best of both worlds to those who want simplicity (basic) and those who want flexibility (advanced).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Umbran said:
I'm all for creating separate tools that allow DMs to use computers to do their prep, and the like. But the game design should not assume those tools exist. COmputers should be an extension of the game, not a requirement of the game.

Agreed completely here.

Also, take into account that while x% of players/DM's might have a computer at home, don't forget to ask how up-to-date it is. In my own case, while I'd answer "yes" if asked whether I had a home PC, said PC is old enough that any new D+D software would require a major upgrade...and that's just not gonna happen! :)

Lanefan

Remove ads