D&D (2024) 50th Anniversary: 6E in 2024?

I like 1st level subclass, but I can see that it can be too much of a power budget problem, especially for multiclassing.

1st level subclass should focus on proficiency/bonus spells and maybe some minor feature.

I.E:
Scout rogue:
1st level, proficiency in Nature+Surival
then,
3rd level, expertise in Nature+Survival, and skirmish movement.

Champion fighter:
1st level: Remarkable athlete
3rd level: Improved critical
damn this subclass still sucks; maybe add at 1st level +1HP per fighter level??

Life cleric:
1st level; bonus 1st level spells, Disciple of life
3rd level: Preserve life
This would work. Especially if you can switch after taking the first feature.

Im a way I see the first level feat as a IMHO better replacement for the 1st level subclass feature.

Wanna be an eldritch knight? Take ritual caster or magic initiate at level 1. If you change your mind till level 3, no problem.

The scout could have taken the alert or skilled feat and then get advantage on both skills. (I hate the scout feature that grants expertise... which you should have taken at level 1 anyway...).

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
It's not bad, but it's not good either. And no RPG needs to be as popular as WotC 5e to be a viable product.
Technically, WotC's D&D needs to be as popular as it is to be a viable product, for WotC today

That said, there are at least 4 concepts in that sentence that probably need defining: Need, Popular, Viable, and Product. I'm assuming that my definition of some or all of those are different than yours, which are different than Chris Cox, and are still more different than a non-ttrpg playing shareholder of Hasbro

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
In the sense that its not 6e, yes, but the changes ARE significant to many things, its not just just Tasha's + Tweeks, I mean not every massive change took, but enough big & small changes to various things that most of the classes/species play different.

I think folks are down playing how transformative it is, yes its compatible with most of the stuff in past books, especually Races, Linages, and Species as well as subclasses and adventures, but capablitie and complexity is vastly different, even given that most of the biggest changes got dumped.
"New player options" is not significant or transformative. At best we've seen supplemental playbook levels of change. I've not seen anything that makes my 3three year old post 108 comment about meetings and texts uncertain

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I find it substantive, but that us a vague, subjective term anyways. How do you qauntify substantive?
Did you seriously respond to my disagreement asking me to prove a negative rather than back up your own undescribed claim that changes are significant and perhaps transformative for a second time the claim was made? This is not a matter of subjective weighting of specific changes because you never said anything more specific than "changes" when declaring them significant and I actually said that "new player options" is not significant.

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
1st level subclass should focus on proficiency/bonus spells and maybe some minor feature.
First level subclases would also allow for variations within a class for Armor Proficiency, Weapon Proficiencies, Hit Die, starting skills (number and list), save proficiencies based upon the archetype/theme for the subclass.

Remove ads