D&D General 50th Anniversary- Are You Not Entertained?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Not much going on yet, but it is February. I expect to be fully sick of WotC 50th stuff by December.

Some comments:

Descent Into the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. The classic 1982 module updated, and will include a tournament-style scoring system!
Worth noting that this is coming bery soon: it will be run at GaryCon.
The Making of Original Dungeons & Dragons: 1970-1976. I mean, it's not like we don't have plenty of other great historical account already. Ahem.

...Obviously, I am concerned that the history book will have to be "sanded down" and "corporatized" to make sure everyone is happy, and won't have the truly interesting (and controversial) information that you can get from other books like Game Wizards. I suspect it will be nice, pleasant, and redundant for those who are familiar with the history.
I mean, it is being written by Jon Peterson himself, and they did say thst it has all new recently discovered documents regarding the composition of the game. That along with a full size reproduction of the entire original game is pretty neat.
While I think that including tournament-style scoring in Tsojcanth is a great idea, I have a feeling that it will be a one-and-done; if they don't make further competition modules, what's the point?
No, it is not a one and done: they specified that it is the first in a series of scored competition modules they plan to do.
Where is the setting? A reboot of Greyhawk? Or a real FR setting? Either with an actual map?
In the DMG.
Or something as simple as special, 50th Anniversary hardcover (or boxed) reprints of their classic rulebooks (such as 1e and B/X, or even all of them?)
Those are already available on the DMsGuild, usually in nice PoD even.

To me, the celebration is not about product releases and the schedule. It's about this stuff:
The only thing that I can think of that would be something that would be very fitting and would get me exciting, even if I couldn't go, is a 50th anniversary party. Basically a one-time game convention focused on D&D with panels on the history and future of the game, shows by popular streamers and pod casters, panel and signing with actors from the movie, some Baldurs Gate III tie-in events, and having lots of games run in every edition of the game. Have a temporary history exhibit. There is a lot they could do and they could steam a lot of the sessions and run on-line games for on-line attendance.
A 50 years anniversary should be a big deal. There could be online celebrations, public events, re-prints of famous books (although 5e updates of them are actually a good thing IMO), special boxes with useful props, and maybe even small freebies on WotC websites.
I would love to see this type of stuff. Also:
  • Releasing to the public old artwork and old magazine articles. Even in their 'current' format with no need to clean them up or rework them.
  • Live stream celebration(s).
  • Giveaways, online raffles, and swag bags at conventions.
  • FLGS events with giveaways. (dice, bags, minis, whatever)
  • Interviews with luminaries on YouTube.

A 50 years anniversary should be a big deal.
I don't fundamentally disagree, but I think the should in this sentence is probably the part worth discussing. Should a company or product's anniversary be a big deal (at least to the point where it not being treated as such is notable)? I guess I don't know. I certainly know everything from classic movies to specific products to the local breakfast food restaurant tend to put "50th Anniversary" or "since 1974!" on all their advertising for the year that the 25th and the ends-in-0 anniversaries roll around. However, those are advertising gimmicks I expect (and tolerate as non-obnoxious advertising), not things I think are mandatory. If a brand or product decides not to do that, do I think there's an issue with that? I guess I don't know.
Maybe they want to hide their age in an attempt to appeal to a younger generation? Celebrating being around 50 years may not be a good way to target their audience?
I don't think Hasbro, WotC, or D&D have any issue with advertising itself as having a half-century pedigree. I think maybe they just don't think it has that much of an advertising benefit, either.

Also:
  • Releasing to the public old artwork and old magazine articles. Even in their 'current' format with no need to clean them up or rework them.
  • Live stream celebration(s).
  • Giveaways, online raffles, and swag bags at conventions.
  • FLGS events with giveaways. (dice, bags, minis, whatever)
  • Interviews with luminaries on YouTube.
This too, I don't know. I mean, I would love to get more access to the old artwork and magazines, but I don't think it is the absence of a celebration that is keeping this from happening (likely a projected profitability compared to effort and rights issues). I hope all the luminaries have said as much as they can about the game and experience of being there in the beginning as they can. I certainly don't think putting them up in front of cameras and asking them to recollect their experiences are the best way to do that (I'm thinking MeTV's M*A*S*H 40th anniversary cast interviews or any time whomever has Star Wars puts Harrison Ford up in front of fans and hopes he doesn't say what he really thinks). I guess my reservation is this -- sometimes a product's #0th Anniversary is an actual celebration that makes you feel good for being a loyalist; equally as often it feels either like just another advertising campaign or as a really awkward quasi reunion or reminder that half the people involved preferred said product at some point in the past. I'm not wholly convinced that missing out on a massive Hasbro celebration is really costing us anything worthwhile (except swag, I won't say no to swag).

Meech17

Adventurer
The conspiratorial part of my brain wonders if there was something they had that got binned.

Last year was Magic: The Gathering's 30th anniversary, and they made an AMAZING product. They reprinted the original cards, with a special backing, and put them into modern sized boosters. Everyone was really excited to potentially get to draft old MTG classics, or collect nice staples for their commander decks.

Then they said that these cards would be sold in very limited quantities, at $250/pack. Just sucked all the wind right out of everyone's sails and took what was potentially the best release of the year and made it something that people still joke about.

I can't help but wonder if they had something equally as gross and money-grubbing planned for D&D and then scrapped it once they saw how the MTG community responded.

Where is the setting? A reboot of Greyhawk? Or a real FR setting? Either with an actual map? Or something as simple as special, 50th Anniversary hardcover (or boxed) reprints of their classic rulebooks (such as 1e and B/X, or even all of them?).
This seems like such an obvious idea. Old School is having a huge moment, and the fact that Hasbro has no desire to try and capitalize on it makes no sense.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Yes, I decided to invoke Betteridge's Law ... because, to date, I am decidedly underwhelmed by the 50th Anniversary of D&D.

Let me start by saying that I am most certainly not a hater of a D&D, 5e, or the planned revisions to D&D. I can certainly understand that there is a lot on their plate right now, from the upcoming major revisions to 5e to the D&D Beyond / VTT, and I am sure that this is consuming time and resources. And yet, as someone who previously speculated breathlessly about what we might see this year ... I am beginning to think that the ambitious plans for revamping 5e and the VTT this year have come at the expense of a once-in-a-lifetime* opportunity to celebrate the game.

*Speaking for you. As someone who still intends to live forever, I can't wait to see what they have planned for the 500th Anniversary!

Let's start with the ... if not great, then the not-bad. The announced books for this year (as of PAX Unplugged) include:
1. A new PHB. This will most assuredly drop this year, with the publication of the other core three being in the more ... nebulous categories.
2. Descent Into the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. The classic 1982 module updated, and will include a tournament-style scoring system!
3. Vecna: Eye of Ruin. You see, most APs, you know, will be playing at fifteen...Where can you go from there? Where? Twenty. This one goes to Twenty. That's five more.
4. Quests from the Infinite Staircase. A collection (eight?) of older adventures updated to 5e.
5. The Making of Original Dungeons & Dragons: 1970-1976. I mean, it's not like we don't have plenty of other great historical account already. Ahem.

None of these are bad, per se. Obviously, I am concerned that the history book will have to be "sanded down" and "corporatized" to make sure everyone is happy, and won't have the truly interesting (and controversial) information that you can get from other books like Game Wizards. I suspect it will be nice, pleasant, and redundant for those who are familiar with the history.

Two of the entries (Tosjcanth and Infinite Staircase) can basically be boiled down to, "Updating Nine Older Adventures." While I think that including tournament-style scoring in Tsojcanth is a great idea, I have a feeling that it will be a one-and-done; if they don't make further competition modules, what's the point?

So other than their plans to continue conquering the world (new 5e, VTT), we are left with Vecna. It's good to see Vecna, of course, but that's it for published materials for the 50th that aren't just rehashes of their old modules. Sure, I bet that there will be 50th merchandise or special covers, but ... that's not what I was hoping for.

Where is the setting? A reboot of Greyhawk? Or a real FR setting? Either with an actual map? Or something as simple as special, 50th Anniversary hardcover (or boxed) reprints of their classic rulebooks (such as 1e and B/X, or even all of them?). Heck, put those aside ... how about something that thrills and excites? I love Vecna as much as (if not more than) the next person, but Vecna is a well that they've gone to a lot. For the 50th, it's nine reprints, and Vecna. Yay?

Again, not trying to be a nattering nabob of negativism, but I've been decidedly unthrilled so far this year. Between the ad experience here (ahem) and the lack of exciting things, there just hasn't been much to capture the imagination and drive me to celebrate D&D. Maybe this will change when I see the products. Maybe I'm discounting the revision to 5e. Maybe I wanted too much for the 50th.

But overall, as I reflect on my level of interest ... I am, most decidedly, not entertained. What about the rest of you ... is the 50th Anniversary living up to your expectations?
I am not really into the rules changes to date.

I am however into adventure collections! APs are too much for me generally.

I am also interested in a scored module..

The game changes not so much. I don’t want to learner the subtle differences nor have I heard of many I like that much 30/70 and hence not worth it to me. Maybe I will be wrong on that account!

Greyhawk would win me over if only for the change in flavor…subtle perhaps to some. But I and down with Pelor and wee Jas! And Iuz!

Remove ads