5E: D&D Next- Caves of Chaos [RECRUITING]

Inspiratorium

First Post
Aww, shame. Understandable, though, they DO want fast feedback. And PbP is too visible.

[MENTION=82617]Camelot[/MENTION] I was considering trying my hand at PbP DMing, but I don't know if I'd do too well (don't have DDI, don't have altogether too much experience)

Last edited:

rangerjohn

Explorer
Which begs the question, will they allow it for the actual game? If they won't allow for free material, why would they allow it for paid? If they are going that way, I am through with wizards. It has been over a decade, since, I was able to do face to face.

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
I also fail to see the reason for it... unless to promote their own online play service and want to avoid competition. In this case, I'm with rangerjohn.
It's the OPTA, not a general statement about the game. There's no online play version available to compete with. It's the same restrictions that Piratecat posted. You can't duplicate the material, you can't post specific mechanics, you can't create your own material, etc. etc. etc.

People are way too eager to assign sinister motive to what is just a bunch of lawyers covering their butts in the bizarre world of international copyright law.

Just like they want every member of your real life group to accept the OPTA. But they don't want you doing it in PbP or con setting because they don't want to lose that illusion of control as to who has access. The difference is that in your real life group, nobody knows what you do. Here on the boards it wouldn't hurt us, it'd come back to bite Morrus instead.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
But they are allowing stores to do it. It's a crappy reason.

The reason I think and hold onto is that they are looking to test the way it plays in traditional settings.

Malvoisin

First Post
That really stinks.

I still want to play something PBP, though. I've got a Dragon Age game that I want to run, and I'd be willing to play 4e, PF, or SWSE if anyone's starting up a game.
I'm actually kicking around the idea of starting up a Pathfinder game. I'm trying to decide what to run, though. I have too many interesting ideas percolating.

rangerjohn

Explorer
Two things, my first statement was a IF/then statement. Which as any programmer will tell you, means the first part must be true, for the second to be considered.

Second, let us know if you come up with something firm Mal.

Camelot

Adventurer
I'm actually kicking around the idea of starting up a Pathfinder game. I'm trying to decide what to run, though. I have too many interesting ideas percolating.

Cool! I've only recently gotten into Pathfinder, and I haven't actually played it for real (only over Skype with one other person), but playing will help me learn.

Remove ads