D&D 5E 5e Halcyon Academy (Recruiting/OOC)

tglassy

Adventurer
Actually, yes. Go ahead and create a character for me. Use the rules on the first post here, and I'll figure out a way to get you in quick.

tglassy

Adventurer
FYI everyone, here's what I'm going to do. If...erm, I mean, when you get to the Academy, I will tell you which schools your characters can enter, and then we are going to fast forward at least half a year. You will have leveled up to level 1 at that point, and I will ask you what you have been doing. You can build relationships with people, or not, study, or not, whatever you want. Once you've told me what you are studying (what schools you spend most of your time in, did you dabble in the other schools, yadda yadda), then I will award you a class. If you qualify for more than one (which is technically possible, but not usually), then I'll give you the choice.

Classes aren't really "Classes". They're just the cumulation of what you have learned, especially for the first few levels. If you take three levels in the same class, then that class' title will be conferred to you. So, if you take three Paladin levels, then people will start to refer to you as a Paladin, and so on. This way, you could wind up with, say, a level in Paladin when you wanted Cleric, so at level 2 (year 2), you changed up how you spend your time, and got a level of Cleric in stead. Then the next three levels were in Cleric. Even though you took a level in Paladin, people call you a Cleric.

If you keep switching classes as you go, people will call you a Wild Card. I'm going to come up with bonuses for those who do this, so it becomes a viable option, if that's what you decide to do. I won't bother unless someone decides to do this.

Anyway, happy fighting!

gargoyleking

Adventurer
This is my first draft of Grody will finish him off as quickly as I can but this should give a quick first-impression. As for backstory, I'm thinking that he was basically banished from his warren as a hatchling and 'saved' by a teacher at the school who was eventually sacked in shame due to shenanigans. Grody spent years basically acting as a spy-minion for the guy until one of the students uncovered the teacher's misdeeds and as a side-trick managed to save Grody from his misbegotten servitude. I'm thinking Grody left after the incident but was later sent an invitation due in-part to his involvement in the scandal. (Yes, totally ripping on the Harry/Dobby idea. Figured it'd fit right in with the HP style school setting.)

Grody

Small and frail even by Kobold standards, Grody's growth was stunted when his wings were clipped at hatching. The stubs never quite healed properly, and the tell-tale stubs on his back occasionally ooze from mild infections. He found himself at the bottom of the pecking order and was soon ousted from his warren.

After days of wandering lost in the wilderness he wandered into the camp of a wandering adventuring party. They nearly killed him out of hand, but the leader instead chose to 'keep' him. The man's name was Darius Sinis. He came from a wealthy family of mages and was about to begin teaching at Halcyon Academy.

Grody was named by this man who had 'saved' him. He was made to serve at Darius's whim. Darius even had a special whistle made out of a rare wood the color of gold, which he used prodigiously anytime he wished to summon Grody. It made little sound when blown, but only to most humanoids, for Grody it was a shrill sound that rattled his nerves.

Any time he made a complaint he was reminded, in the strictest terms, of the massive debt that he owed for his very continued existence. The tasks he was put to anything from cleaning to spying on students and even other teachers within the Academy grounds. And so it came that Grody learned his way around the Academy. He learned to get around as quickly as possible to complete his duties lest he evoke Darius's wrath. His life was miserable, but as far as he understood it, at least he WAS alive.

That all changed when he was set to spying on a student who Darius seemed to despise more even than most, Harl Lott. Grody was caught in the act and interrogated by the student. But rather than hurting Grody, or reporting him to the school offials, Harl decided to show compassion. He fed Grody and let him go.

Eventually, Darius was caught up in a major scandal where many of his misdeeds within the school were brought to light. Harl had been instrumental in uncovering this, and as a parting shot at the departing proffesor, tricked him into releasing Grody. Upon realizing his mistake, Darius hurled the whistle at his former minion.

Ths whistle is broken now, all the better. But Grody keeps it as a momento of Harl and his freedom. After the incident he had to leave the school.

Level 0 Kobold
Background: Urchin

Abil: #(Bonus)
Str: 6 (-2)
Dex: 14 (+2)
Con: 8 (-1)
Int: 10 (0)
Wis: 10 (0)
Cha: 13 (+1)

AC: 12
Max Hit Points: 5 _: 1D6-1 = [6]-1 = 5

Size: Small
Move: 30 ft.

Kobold: +2 Dex, -2 Str
Size: Small, Speed: 30 ft.
Darkvision: 60 ft.
Grovel, Cower, and Beg:
(Action): Cower pathetically to distract enemies. Until end of next turn Allies gain advantage against enemies within 10ft. that can see you.
Recharge: Short/Long rest
Pack Tactics: Gain adv against enemies with at least 1 (active) ally adjacent.
Sunlight Sensitivity: Suffer disadvantage if you or target is in direct sunlight.

Background: Urchin
Feature: City Secrets (If possible I'd like to attribute this specifically to the school. Part of my backstory idea of him being a former teacher's 'minion'.)
When not in combat, you and allies (you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.
Traits:
Hides scraps of food and trinkets away in his pockets.
Sleeps with his back to a wall or tree with everything he owns wrapped in a bundle in his arms.
Ideal:
Aspiration: "I'm going to prove that I'm worthy of a better life."
Bond:
Owes a debt that he can never repay to a person who took pity on him.
Flaw: Will never fully trust anyone other than himself.

Other Proficiencies:
Languages: Common, Draconic
Tools: Disguise Kit, Thieve's Tools

Equipment:
Small Knife
Map of the city (The Academy?)
A pet Mouse
Token to remember friend by (Whistle made from gold colored wood)
Common Clothes
Belt Pouch
10 gp

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Y'all are actually doing great. I need to tally up the damage, but I don't think it has much left.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Remove ads