[5E] [OOC] JM's A Bit of Trouble (Closed)

Alright, I stuck with the gnome. Writing her story now, and I'm wondering if you have any canon fey entities for her patron (especially one that might pop up in the Groaning Forest), or if I should just make that stuff up.

You are welcome to makeup your own archfey if you wish. You can be as detailed as you want. Just a name? I'll make up the rest. A back story for how the fey will expect you to serve? We can use it if doesn't disrupt other things. I'll give you as much rope as you need. :)

Amarok grew up and formed his own pack and has long since passed away, but Perin still sees Amarok’s legacy patrolling the Groaning Forest.
Does this mean Perin doesn't start with a wolf, but instead bumps into a legacy wolf later in the game? That could be arranged.

eayres33, did TallIan's meeting with Perin make sense for Veit?

TallIan

Explorer
Does this mean Perin doesn't start with a wolf, but instead bumps into a legacy wolf later in the game? That could be arranged.

Yeah I was thinking the ritual to summon him would call Amarok 2nd (probably III). It started sounding like a hassle to have a wolf before level 3.

And yes sorry, I meant to ask that same question of Viet.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

eayres33

Explorer

That works for me, sounds like something Veit would be doing, leading the lost back to a path forward.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Valeria
Human(Variant) Bard
Criminal CG
XP: 0 / 300
Strength 10 (+0)
Dexterity 16 (+3)
Constitution 14 (+2)
Intelligence 10 (+0)
Wisdom 8 (-1)
Charisma 16 (+3)
A reformed thief turned teller of tales and righter of wrongs, Valeria is a multitalented person with the gift of gab.​

[sblock=Appearance, Personality and Backstory]Age 19
Gender Female
Height 5'9""
Weight 165 lb.
Hair Black
Skin Fair
Eyes Grey

Description
A raven-haired beauty, Valeria tries to dress in outfits that combine fashion with utility.​

Traits
Valeria moves with a swan's grace and talks with a tongue of silver.​
Valeria is fussy about her own comforts and appearance.​
Ideal
People should be free to live their lives to the fullest!​
Bond
Valeria owes Veit her life, and would do anything he asked of her. She also has a price on her head in solace after running out on their theives' guild before a major heist​
Flaw
Valeria is addicted to gambling, she knows it is a problem but still can't stop herself​

Backstory
Born to a poor peasant family, Valeria was raised on a farm. Her parents were killed during a terrible snowstorm that wiped out her family.​
Making her way to Solace, she could not find work and was taken in by Fitz, a common thief and brigand who thought she might have some talent. She proved to be quite succesful and was poised for a fine career in crime.​
One night, her life changed. A gruff dwarven bounty hunter tracked her down while she was about to play her part in a major heist. The plot foiled, she was surprised when the dwarf let her go, but there was no profit in it in taking her in, and her pleas softened his heart. He allowed her to go free if she swore an oath to stay on the right side of the law.​
She traveled around, first attaching herself to a performing troupe, who let her in on the secrets of being a bard, then on her own. Her niche was sword and dagger tricks and heroic poetry. Veit kept in touch with her, to make sure she kept her oath.​
[/sblock][sblock=Skills & Proficiencies]Proficiency Bonus: +2

Skills
  • Acrobatics +5
  • Animal Handling -1
  • Arcana +0
  • Athletics +0
  • Deception +5
  • History +0
  • Insight -1
  • Intimidation +3
  • Investigation +0
  • Medicine -1
  • Nature +0
  • Perception -1
  • Performance +5
  • Persuasion +5
  • Religion +0
  • Sleight of Hand +5
  • Stealth +5
  • Survival -1
Proficiencies
Armor Light Armor
Weapons Simple Weapons, Hand Crossbows, Rapiers, Longswords, Shortswords
Tools Dice, Thieves' Tools, Lute, Flute, Drum
Languages Common, Dwarven[/sblock][sblock=Combat]AC 15
Initiative +3
Speed 30 ft
Passive Perception +9
HP 10
Hit Dice 1/1
1d6+2

Saving Throws
  • Strength +0
  • Dexterity +5
  • Constitution +2
  • Intelligence +0
  • Wisdom -1
  • Charisma +5
Attacks
  • Rapier Melee +5 / 1d8+3 piercing finesse
  • Dagger Melee/Ranged +5 / 1d4+3 piercing [20 / 60] light, finesse, thrown
  • Dagger(Off-hand) Melee/Ranged +5 / 1d4 piercing [20 / 60] light, finesse, thrown
Cantrips
  • Vicious Mockery Ranged +5 / 1d4 DC Wis DC 13 psychic [60] disadvantage on the next attack roll
[/sblock][sblock=Features]Background: Criminal(Criminal Contact)
You have a reliable and trustworthy contact who acts as your liaison to a network of other criminals. You know how to get messages to and from your contact, even over great distances; specifically, you know the local messengers, corrupt caravan masters, and seedy sailors who can deliver messages for you.​
Feats
Dual Wielder
  • +1 bonus to AC while you are wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand
  • You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one-handed melee weapons you are wielding aren't light.
  • You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.
Bard Features
Bardic Inspiration
Use a bonus action on your turn to choose one creature other than yourself within 60 feet of you who can hear you. That creature gains one Bardic Inspiration die, a d6.​
  • Once within the next 10 minutes, the creature can roll the die and add the number rolled to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes.
  • Cha Mod [3] times per LR

Human Features
Bonus Feat
Bonus Skill
[/sblock][sblock=Spellcasting]
Bard Spells
  • Spell Attack Bonus: +5
  • Spell Save DC: 13
Bard Cantrips
Light, Vicious Mockery​
Bard Spells Known: 4
Healing Word, Faerie Fire, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Unseen Servant​

[/sblock][sblock=Money and Equipment]Money
0 pp, 3 gp, 0 ep, 3 sp, 0 cp​
Carried
  • Leather Armor
  • Rapier
  • Dagger(2)
  • Thieves' Tools
  • Backpack
  • Bedroll
  • Rations (5 days)
  • Waterskin
  • Costume (2)
  • Traveler's Clothes
[/sblock][sblock=Notes][/sblock]

Backstory
Born to a poor peasant family, Valeria was raised on a farm. Her parents were killed during a terrible snowstorm that wiped out her family.​
Making her way to Solace, she could not find work and was taken in by Fitz, a common thief and brigand who thought she might have some talent. She proved to be quite succesful and was poised for a fine career in crime.​
One night, her life changed. A gruff dwarven bounty hunter tracked her down while she was about to play her part in a major heist. The plot foiled, she was surprised when the dwarf let her go, but there was no profit in it in taking her in, and her pleas softened his heart. He allowed her to go free if she swore an oath to stay on the right side of the law.​
She traveled around, first attaching herself to a performing troupe, who let her in on the secrets of being a bard, then on her own. Her niche was sword and dagger tricks and heroic poetry. Veit kept in touch with her, to make sure she kept her oath.​

Some minor issues here. Most minor:

Snowstorm: I failed to mention that Cade-Crable is comparable to Virginia Beach weather-wise. Granted, the existence of Empire Bay would mean lake-affect snow happens to the 5 eastern settlements. But snowstorms would still be rare. The point I guess is that if you told people how your family died they would think it was a freak accident.

Criminal background has a "specialty" selection. I'm guessing Burglar.

Solace is a very Human only city. So how did the dwarf Veit run into you? There is a caravansarai and trade grounds outside the city where non-humans can trade with the city. So that could work. But you would have to work out with eayess why Veit was even near Solace.

Fitz is your criminal contact, right? Human rogue in Solace. Is that all you want to control of his background? Up to you.

You might want to describe where and how you learned to play musical instruments.

SunGold

First Post
Hah, fair.

I wasn't going to have Breealee rescued by Veit, but did intend for him to be her connection to the party, since he's spent decades in the forest she lives in. She's a friendly sort, and would be curious about the lone dwarf who showed up in the woods, especially since she feels a bit like an outsider herself.

If it's alright with both of you, I'll stick with that.

I'm glad you went with the forest. The roaming city of Ys should be a bit of mystery. :) (Somehow I missed you comment about it a few pages back.)

I think I'd like most everyone to have two connections within the party. I don't like the idea of one character being a lynchpin. The second connection can be more casual than the first connection. ("Valeria was introduced to Breealee once by Veit" is almost sufficient.) And you aren't limited to two connections (or one either).

I realize making two connections at the moment might be hard as we only have 2 full charsheets and 3 full backgrounds fleshed out at the moment. So this might take a few rounds of OOC posts. Please get at least a rough draft of a background up if you haven't done so already.

Okay, so we have
  • Perin, a Male Halfling Wolf-riding Ranger (TallIan), helped "escape" slavery by Veit
  • Veit Ironfist, a Male Dwarf Barbarian (eayess33), knows everyone :)
  • Valeria, a Femalle Human Bard (Chairwoman Gene), stopped criminal ways by Veit
  • Breealee, a Female Forest Gnome Fey-Warlock (SunGold), friendly with Veit
  • a Conjurer of unknown race (Thateos)

Hopefully, now that the weekend is over, Thateos will have time to contribute more information about this conjurer.

I've also updated the thread title to indicate we are no longer recruiting.

I also need to make some changes to the first post at some point. The measurements I gave in the first post don't really line up with the map I drew. :)

Remove ads