[5E] [OOC] JM's A Bit of Trouble (Closed)

Okay, Thateos, please finish your character and get him into the RG thread.

I'll be posting a few more background things for the campaign. I've created a calendar: 10 36-day months consisting of 6 6-day weeks, 5 seasons of 2 months each (Rights is a season between Spring and Summer), and 5 Festival days that divide the seasons and thus a 365 day calendar (no leap years). Names of months and days in the real posting. I'm also giving the gods names. The pantheon consists of 5 married couples, each getting their own month of dedication. There is only one church hierarchy for worship of all the 12 gods: yes there are two gods who aren't on the calendar.

The campaign will start on the day of the Sun Festival. It takes place between Rights and Summer on the longest day of the year. It is also traditionally the first day of the year. Bit's Sun Day Festival is known for having amusements involving water. This is just a heads up so you can get a head start on why your characters are in Bit. When I open the IC thread there will of course be more details for you to play off of.

Thateos, one thing I forgot about with your background. Bit is an oligarchy of four families. There are other noble families in the town who own land but aren't part of the governing group. I'll be posting a small list of well known nobles in the city. Do you want to be a part of the ruling families (meaning like 3rd son of 2nd brother and 8th in line for head of house) or do you want to be among the lesser nobles where you might be closer to head of your line?

Additionally, do you live in town, in a remote mansion, or some other place?

I had planned to give an outsider's view of the nobles of Bit (especially the four well-known families) but if you want to be involved at all with those families, I'll expand on the NPCs there.

Thateous

Explorer
I will take the former of the two options, 3rd son of 2nd brother and 8th in line for head of house...

Living in town, and rubbing elbows with the other families.

So, that will mean you are expected to show up to a few parties. No one is in any rush to marry you to some other 3rd daughter of the 2nd brother unless it becomes politically necessary. Your time is mostly your own and if you decide to run off into the woods for a few months, no one will notice other than your mother (why doesn't he write?). The family I'm putting you in is the Tommilson family. They own lands to the east of Bit along the Leeds River. Their holdings a bit smaller than the other three families but they own a lot of mills along the river. The main house hold is a large manor/keep in the village of Leed's Crossing about ten miles east of Bit. (A close up view of the villages surrounding Bit is in progress.)

The Tommilson's are very active among the four ruling families. Other families include:
  • the Greygour family: focused to the south of Bit and in town they run the docks. They are prime rivals to the Tommilson house.
  • the Puth'Sayol family: Half-elven/Elven. Owns lands north of Bit, an offshoot of a Cade-Crable noble house. Keep the piece between the other houses.
  • the Rillstone family: A reclusive group who own the lands north of the Leeds and east of Bit.

I've opened the [thread="601348"]IC thread[/thread]. The campaign has been named "A Bit of Trouble" (update your bookmarks right away :) ).

Basically a festival in Bit takes place two days from now. The initial phase of the IC is to allow you to roam around, get to Bit, and enjoy a nice relaxing summer festival.

I've updated the 2nd post in the IC thread with a closer view of Bit. This should make it easier to get around. There will be more places of interest added to the map as time goes by.

I'll post an update probably Friday unless someone goes somewhere that needs DM help. Invent locations as you need them. Bit may not be big, but it has most things a city has.

SunGold

First Post
Hmm, Perin's question about a place to stay has me wondering...

The inns are packed with higher class folk than they might normally host. Houses are renting out space to travelers.

Does this mean our broke-joker level-1 PCs are priced out of inns (barring maybe Everett), or shall I just make up an inn in some part of town to answer him?

Thateous

Explorer
Hmm, Perin's question about a place to stay has me wondering...

Does this mean our broke-joker level-1 PCs are priced out of inns (barring maybe Everett), or shall I just make up an inn in some part of town to answer him?

Perhaps if you inquire, I could set you up in a couple of guest rooms at the estate?

There are probably dives in Ship Bottom and The Commons that you can still afford if you don't mind sharing a room. Room rates are not higher (maybe double PHB) the problem is all the Wealthy and Comfortable Inns are full so people who normally go there are overpaying at Modest Inns making them mostly full. If you want to make an Investigation check to find an available modest room (DC 13 today, DC 15 tomorrow and the actual festival day) you can.

Everett could put people up in the Estate on Governor's Island and get a good berating for letting "these ruffians" in. Monti Sellerus is the house steward in charge of giving guests rooms at the estate. She's about 50 years old and is use to Everett's bulls--t. :)

When you guys finish eating , I plan to make a post. Any idea what district you were in? I'm guessing Everett is too well known to hang out in the richer districts and was probably trolling The Square when he ran into the others.

I was hoping Valeria @Morrus; would already be active before my second post. Until I hear from her, I'll just assume Valeria's slowly making her way to Bit. :)

SunGold

First Post
Ok, thanks for the info.

I just had Bree drop a hint rather than outright ask. She can tell that Everett's well-to-do from his dress and bearing, but since she's never left the Groaning Forest, I doubt she'd know his family name, or that they have an estate here.

Remove ads