D&D 5E 5e Paladin: Inspiring Leadership versus Polearm Master?

Pale Jackal

First Post
Polearm Master seems really quite good.

An extra 1d4 + 3 or 4 dmg. + Magic bonus per attack seems quite good.

Level 1 Paladin with 17 Str. and 17 Cha., and maybe 18/18 at Level 4, would be doing 1d4 + 8 damage with the Devotion Paladin's magic weapon buff. This is on top of any attacks of opportunity triggered by Polearm Master. Oh, and at Level 11 or so, the Paladin gets +1d8 damage to all attacks.

However, my original character concept called for the Protection style with a shield, and Inspiring Leadership seems very appropriate for my naive and brash Paladin. +8 Temp. HP at level 4 to all 5 party members after each short rest seems nice, but is it on par with an average 10.5 damage per successful off-hand hit? Maybe it is, if combat doesn't last that many rounds in 5e.

Mechanically speaking, is Polearm Master greatly superior to say, Inspiring Leadership? Does Polearm Master outclass most other feats? Or is the fact that I just got the rulebook a day ago really obvious?

Thanks for putting up with my newb 5E questions.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Polearm Master seems really quite good.

An extra 1d4 + 3 or 4 dmg. + Magic bonus per attack seems quite good.

Level 1 Paladin with 17 Str. and 17 Cha., and maybe 18/18 at Level 4, would be doing 1d4 + 8 damage with the Devotion Paladin's magic weapon buff. This is on top of any attacks of opportunity triggered by Polearm Master. Oh, and at Level 11 or so, the Paladin gets +1d8 damage to all attacks.

You're over thinking it. It's just a d4. No strength damage to it, no charisma, no even magic as far as I can tell. To do strength damage with the bonus action off-hand attack (and this is considered an off-hand attack) you would need the fighter's two-weapon fighting ability. It's generally the opportunity attacks that are the power of this feat - and they work different (and much more often) than any other type of opportunity attack.

brehobit

Explorer
You're over thinking it. It's just a d4. No strength damage to it, no charisma, no even magic as far as I can tell. To do strength damage with the bonus action off-hand attack (and this is considered an off-hand attack) you would need the fighter's two-weapon fighting ability. It's generally the opportunity attacks that are the power of this feat - and they work different (and much more often) than any other type of opportunity attack.

I'm not sure this is an off-hand attack. In 3e it certainly would be--the "back" of a double weapon was treated as off-hand. But I don't think this is the case in 5e (RAW).

Magic is an interesting question and I've no idea there.

I think your reading may be RAI and hopefully we'll get a clarification. If you are right, it's a really weak bonus action.

Paraxis

Explorer

It is not considered an off-hand attack, so sure you add str mod damage.

It is an attack with the weapon, so sure you add magic weapon bonuses, also any other damage bonuses like rage.

Mistwell

It is not considered an off-hand attack, so sure you add str mod damage.

It is an attack with the weapon, so sure you add magic weapon bonuses, also any other damage bonuses like rage.

My instincts tell me different (it's a bonus action) so I asked Mearls.

Paraxis

Explorer
My instincts tell me different (it's a bonus action) so I asked Mearls.

Other bonus action attacks that get ability modifier as a damage bonus.

• Great Weapon Master feat
  • Crossbow Expert feat
  • Charger feat
  • Flurry of Blows monk ability
  • War Magic eldritch knight ability
  • Battle Magic valor bard ability
  • Frenzy berserker barbarian ability

The only place in the game where it talks about not getting your ability score modifier as a bonus to damage.

• Off hand weapon attack when dual wielding

So in general all attacks get ability score modifier as a bonus to damage, unless otherwise noted. Polearm master doesn't mention not getting the bonus so you do.

Mistwell

Other bonus action attacks that get ability modifier as a damage bonus.

• Great Weapon Master feat
  • Crossbow Expert feat
  • Charger feat
  • Flurry of Blows monk ability
  • War Magic eldritch knight ability
  • Battle Magic valor bard ability
  • Frenzy berserker barbarian ability

The only place in the game where it talks about not getting your ability score modifier as a bonus to damage.

• Off hand weapon attack when dual wielding

So in general all attacks get ability score modifier as a bonus to damage, unless otherwise noted. Polearm master doesn't mention not getting the bonus so you do.

Eh, we have a difference of opinion on that, so that's why I asked Mearls.

NovaSeven

First Post
Level 1 Paladin with 17 Str. and 17 Cha., and maybe 18/18 at Level 4, would be doing 1d4 + 8 damage with the Devotion Paladin's magic weapon buff.

Ehh, by "magic weapon buff" do you mean Channel Divinity: Sacred Weapon? Because that only buffs attack and not damage...

Also I doubt that the additional 1d4 includes the strength modifier...

Paraxis

Explorer
Ehh, by "magic weapon buff" do you mean Channel Divinity: Sacred Weapon? Because that only buffs attack and not damage...

Also I doubt that the additional 1d4 includes the strength modifier...

Not the OP, but would assume the following.

It is an attack it would benefit from any modifier to damage the weapon has.

So things like it being a +1 halberd, improved divine smite, hunter's mark spell from vengeance paladin oath, flaming enchantment on the weapon, and so on. Don't forget it is a two handed weapon so the great weapon fighting style works on the d10 and the d4 letting you reroll a 1 or 2 on the first damage attempt per strike.

Juriel

First Post
Yes, the extra attacks are huge, exactly because they get all the bonuses to them, just like a regular attack.

Inspiring Leader is a great thematic pick, better the larger the party is. It is basically 'cast Cure Wounds x party size per short rest', if that helps.

However, the best form of healing is damage prevention, and killing the source of the damage in half the time does exactly that.

Remove ads