D&D 5E 5e: Stat the Lady of Pain...so we can overthrow her

Hassassin

First Post
jonesy, don't be scared of the Lady of Pain, Lord Ao, and the Dungeon Master. Together, we can defeat them. But only if they have stats, if they are catalogued in our monster-hunting manuals, and are defined.

So you can't defeat Bob the Barkeep, retired adventurer turned serial killer, because the monster-hunting manuals don't tell you which level he is and what his stats are?

Tallifer

Hero
I believe that the Lady of Pain must be ultimately destructible if only because as a goddess of pain she is evil and thus must in the end be weaker than Bahamut or Pelor or whomever. However in the interests of balance in the multiverse, the Good suffers her existence as a trial to the righteous.

This all sounds a lot like a troll thread.

The moderators are welcome to close this.

Yet I'm glad there are a few gonzo D&D heroes left who don't bow to the lords of the universes--the overdeities. I'm not singling out the Planescape setting--I state that D&D PCs ought to be able to rise to even the loftiest role in each published D&D setting.

When I say "unmanly", I don't mean that the men who are posting are unmanly. I mean that the idea that they hold--of PCs forever bowing to the untouchable overdeities--is an unmanly idea. To those who have taken offense, I feel sorrow. You are all D&D heroes in my eyes, and you're welcome to join me later.

I am serious that all D&D gods and overgods ought to have stats in 5e, and that there ought to be explicit rules and adventure support for PCs taking the place of Lord Ao, and all the other overlords.

The lady of pain isn't a character, she is just a mass of handwavium that makes the setting work.

She is kind of like gravity. Take it away and everything just falls apart.

At 144th level, PCs will be able to craft weapons out of handwavium. And their kitchens will have gravity sinks.

Not me, especially not with the "macho" tone you're dripping all over this post.

Yes, macho tone is so dissonant. I and my comrades do not want to be genderists. We welcome all D&D heroes, male and female, to join us in the quest to see WotC give stats to all the overgods and overgoddesses.

tlantl

First Post
In my multiverse if you kill a god you become that god. If you become a gods I take your character sheet and burn it.

God killing is a waste of time.

In my multiverse if you kill a god you become that god. If you become a gods I take your character sheet and burn it.

God killing is a waste of time.

This is a style and philosophy of play that I am opposed to. It clips off a whole branch on the tree of D&D.

In the Classic iteration of D&D there were two whole boxed sets devoted to playing a god, with 36 levels of the God class, along with three adventure modules for god-level play. Plus, rules for become an Overgod.

If 5e is the edition to unite all editions, why wouldn't this be supported?

tlantl

First Post
This is a style and philosophy of play that I am opposed to. It clips off a whole branch on the tree of D&D.

In the Classic iteration of D&D there were two whole boxed sets devoted to playing a god, with 36 levels of the God class, along with three adventure modules for god-level play. Plus, rules for become an Overgod.

If 5e is the edition to unite all editions, why wouldn't this be supported?

I never said you had to agree. I don't see your face on sunday afternoon, or when ever you play. The gods are inviolate in my game, period.

I'm sure you can invent stats for the lady of pain if you want to. I don't need them. If they did exist then I'd ignore them just as I do the ones I have in my deities and demigods book.

I went god killing with my first D&D group. It wasn't much fun. High level D&D isn't much fun if all you are doing is killing stuff. Using the gods as you would a goblin makes the gods into chumps, not the ultra powerful beings they should be. when a PC is strong enough to challenge the gods I believe it's time to put that character away. I have several I retired, two of them are gods themselves. Neither one of them is anywhere near 30th level.

our games evolved to where the politics and management of our holdings was the focus. It's more rewarding.
As for the non AD&D boxed sets, they are a different game following similar rules. I don't use those rules so pointing out that they exist is much the same as pointing out the rules for the other version of the game I don't use, wasted energy.

Remove ads